** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Associate
How are you guys handling the lower contrast?

On mine blacks look... cyan almost. Didn't expect the difference between 700:1 and 1000:1 to be so eye catching, i thought i was going to barely notice it.

Associate
Can’t say I’ve noticed much of an issue yet. Was fully prepared for some major problems but it all seems ok so far.
I’ve only reduced the brightness to 55 as far as tweaking the settings go, but having a quick couple of hours in RDR2 and watching a bit of video was ok for me.

Yes there is some glow and a bit of bleed on the bottom edge but nothing that looks to be a deal breaker for me. I’ll try and do some more thorough testing over the next few days but it seems to be worth the wait.

Associate
You need to try a pitch dark game (or movie) in a completely dark room. You won't notice a difference if there's lighting in your room or if the game isn't dark enough.

Games i tried for instance are Doom 3 (the beginning of Resurrection of Evil is good because there's a lot of very dark sections) and Thief Gold. In both cases, if i had to set the brightness to 55 the black level would look insanely high. I'm forced in fact to set brightness to 0% to even remotely get a "VA" like kinda of contrast, and the LG one still doesn't look as good as some cheapo 23" ips monitor i have next to it.

I've seen some people say the contrast in their unit goes as low as 650. I don't have an instrument to measure it on mine, maybe i got a similar situation but the lower contrast just jumped at me instantly, and it's not like the 23" ips was particularly good to begin with.

Considering the LG is four times more expensive than the 23" it's kinda of a let down. The most annoying this is that in dark environment it feels there's this white fog covering everything, not just shadows, and it's probably owning to the fact they had to raise the black level and that tends to affect everything, not just shadows.

Soldato
You need to try a pitch dark game (or movie) in a completely dark room. You won't notice a difference if there's lighting in your room or if the game isn't dark enough.

Games i tried for instance are Doom 3 (the beginning of Resurrection of Evil is good because there's a lot of very dark sections) and Thief Gold. In both cases, if i had to set the brightness to 55 the black level would look insanely high. I'm forced in fact to set brightness to 0% to even remotely get a "VA" like kinda of contrast, and the LG one still doesn't look as good as some cheapo 23" ips monitor i have next to it.

I've seen some people say the contrast in their unit goes as low as 650. I don't have an instrument to measure it on mine, maybe i got a similar situation but the lower contrast just jumped at me instantly, and it's not like the 23" ips was particularly good to begin with.

Considering the LG is four times more expensive than the 23" it's kinda of a let down. The most annoying this is that in dark environment it feels there's this white fog covering everything, not just shadows, and it's probably owning to the fact they had to raise the black level and that tends to affect everything, not just shadows.

Sadly this is the limitation of IPS. It just isn't suitable for dark games in dark rooms. It isn't the monitor's fault, every single IPS panel will suffer in this regard, even if you're lucky to get one with no bleed or glow (which the odds of aren't great). VA has far superior contrast, but again you have to win the monitor lottery to get one without bleed as many still suffer from this. Buying a monitor in 2019 is an incredibly frustrating process, and I totally understand why many people are going the OLED route now that LG are supporting VRR over HDMI. Regular LCD TV's would even be more appealing if it weren't for the absence of any VRR technology, as they do seem far less susceptible to the problems that monitors have.

Associate
Got mine, looks quite big for me but mainly because I'm coming from a 1080p 21.5 inch ips.
Has some blb snaking from all corners but I'm used to that.
It gets super bright , too bright even, can't go more than 20% brightness, at night even 5%.
HDR implementation is meh, it just gets bright and that's it.
Fairly pleased with it. No dead or stuck pixels which I'm thankful for otherwise I would have return it and buy different model.

144hz is great but can't tell the difference if its fast or not but then again most likely because my eyes aren't trained to spot that level of detail.

Associate
How are you guys handling the lower contrast?

On mine blacks look... cyan almost. Didn't expect the difference between 700:1 and 1000:1 to be so eye catching, i thought i was going to barely notice it.
Oh wow that's concerning. On what brightness you have it on. And what preset. That can make a difference. Try to tinker with it see what results you get

Associate
I would like to know this too if possible.

Thanks
I second this.
I'm pretty much decided on this monitor and I can wait a while but if it is going to be months I may have to reconsider. T
reviews of the 27gl850 give high praise, except for contrast and seems like it's as good as your gonna get for upto 500 quid.
Unless, ofc, someone can suggest equivalently good alternatives!

Soldato
The 27GL850-B is only £250 over in Germany, will just keep my pre order with ocuk and play the waiting game.

Last edited:
Associate
Unless, ofc, someone can suggest equivalently good alternatives!

Only the 27GL83A comes to mind. There's also a ViewSonic panel coming up that uses the same screen as the LG but has an actual G-sync model in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWf-ePYEp0&t=832s

This is, if you don't mind the lower contrast.

If you do, every other monitor you see at this price range will do, since they all use the same Innolux screen.

The Asus Tuf, the Aorus, the Pixio Prime. They all have similar specs, slower, but with better contrast.

Associate
Opus. Have a look under 'Gamma Mode'. That changes the colour of the whites... if that makes sense

Well mine looks great so far. Had to turn the brightness down to 20 as 100 out of the box made my eyes melt.

What have the rest of you done? I jumped quickly into lagom test and then a dead pixel picture. Haven't any bleed or glow. Then again I don't really have an eye for it

What else to check and make sure it's fine? Did you update with the latest firmware at all?

Last edited:
Associate
Got mine this morning, I gotta say coming from some old 24inch tn panel to this is amazing, very happy with it, now all I gotta do is buy a bigger desk to fit both monitors on.

Associate
I did update. Have no idea what it introduced, only thing i noticed is that it made the OSD menu much more reactive.

My settings so far as gamer 1, gamma 1 (makes detail pop out of shadows a bit more. Too much red though, right now i have it as 47, 48 and 53 on the RGB setting. Sadly, i don't have a real tool for calibration), brightness 0% (yes, zero), contrast between 80-100. This seems to compensate for the lower than average contrast and reduces the "fog" in darker scenes by quite a margin.

I use this for games and movies, especially darker ones. For desktop i have brightness 23 and contrast 70, and black level sometimes at 40 (haven't decided yet how to set this because i have no idea what it actually does. Anything below 20 is too much, and going between 50 and 55 is too extreme a jump, not sure what's up there).

sRGB mode locks you out of any setting other than brightness but changing stuff from the AMD control panel is actually pretty good.

Best i can do. Keep in mind i'm used to watch content at a low brightness (sometimes as low as 10 even on the desktop). If you are one of those people who must have 50 brightness for everything this set up may not work for you, for even with 100% contrast 0% brightness is pretty low, but it makes dark scenes SOOOOOO much better.

Back
Top Bottom