1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC (£400ish) Build help please

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by IMissMyDCast, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Xystophori

Gangster

Don't get a gray key, your ripping Microsoft off what did they ever do to you. It's technically stealing

2. tamzzy

Capodecina

Post in the customer services section of the forum and ask if they'll honour the Christmas deals prices. (They should do imo)

3. JediFragger

Capodecina

**** that, they make more than enough money!!!!

4. mattydoughts

Gangster

Also if they were worried about it they would stop their own Media Creation Tool allowing you to upgrade from 7 to 10 for free still even though it ended ages ago.

5. IMissMyDCast

Associate

You Genius tamzy - got it for the original price (except the memory - I upgraded to the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-channel-kit-black-grey-tdged4-my-089-tg.html as it is currently out of stock until next Friday and I am impatient! :)

Oh, and the speakers were out of stock so I'll have to make do without new speakers for now!

6. tamzzy

Capodecina

7. ExoMale

Mobster

I tend to use average\decent 80 plus\white\bronze units for my systems or ones I build, but not for highish end stuff, but as far as the VS goes, it’s about quality. I’ve had a vs 350 before, but for a low powered system. CX are a better range.

8. IMissMyDCast

Associate

Guys, not sure where I should ask this question but I am having trouble getting the new build to run. It powers up and the fans come on. But no display is output - not even the BIOS. I bought the above items except the memory wasn't in stock so I swapped it for https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...-channel-kit-black-grey-tdged4-my-089-tg.html.

I've searched forums and tried the following:-

1. swapped the memory modules around, using just one module. neither module on its own worked.
    2. swapped the graphics card for my old graphics card (which I knew worked)
    3. reset the CMOS

But It won't work. Having read a few posts about the motherboard, it seems that maybe my memory is not compatible? lots of similar situations were solved by replacing the memory. Any recommendations on what memory I could try? I will post a similar message on the customer service and see if they can help.

9. an0nym0us

Wise Guy

Which RAM slots were you using? According to the manual it should be slots A2/B2 for 2 sticks of RAM.

For the cable connecting monitor to PC, is it connected to the GPU or motherboard?

10. tamzzy

Capodecina

11. IMissMyDCast

Associate

Yes, the ram is in slots A2 and B2. Lucky really, as the cpu heatsink/fan stops A1 being accessible.
    Yes, I'm using the GPU outputs (now) . I did try the motherboard until I realised this processor doesn't have GPU capability!

12. tamzzy

Capodecina

is it working now then?

13. IMissMyDCast

Associate

No, sorry, that wasn't clear. I'd already realised I couldn't use the Mobo for the display. I am currently using my old graphics card

14. tamzzy

Capodecina

So is everything working as it should then?
    Or still having issues?

15. hominid

Mobster

What is your old graphics card that you tried? Always make sure all of the power cables are plugged fully in, including for the graphics card when/if needed.

Does the motherboard box say Ryzen 3*** compatible, or have a bios version anywhere on it?

16. an0nym0us

Wise Guy

I think the CPU is a 2600, so BIOS should be able to POST without issue.

17. hominid

Mobster

Sorry, you are right! Please ignore what I put, I shall try and read properly from now on.. :)

18. IMissMyDCast

Associate

Nope, not working at all. Didn't even beep when I turn it on.

19. ExoMale

Mobster

is everything seated correctly? is the cable(s) to power the graphics card installed?

also i wouldnt always go by what the manufacturers list as compatible ram, i have the b450 aorus m motherboard with ballistix sport lt ram which were never listed on the support page and i never once had issues

20. IMissMyDCast

Associate

I have reseated everything apart from the CPU (which dropped in beautifully).
    I've not looked on any compatibility list, but a number of posts with similar symptoms to mine were solved by trying different memory.. But I've no idea which ones to try.