new Quest 2 competitor coming soon!!

Soldato
Yeah, for anyone with a Q2 it'd maybe not worth it, but for those jumping into VR it's probable the best available option for the price.

How? The 128gb q2 is a hundred quid cheaper. Not to mention there's a second hand market too.

If you're a pcvr player perhaps, but we're starting to get to a very particular group of people.

Soldato
How? The 128gb q2 is a hundred quid cheaper. Not to mention there's a second hand market too.

If you're a pcvr player perhaps, but we're starting to get to a very particular group of people.

Tot up the costs of facial interfaces, headstraps (probably more than one until you find one that's comfortable) and battery packs..... a hundred quid isn't going to go a long way.

Soldato
Tot up the costs of facial interfaces, headstraps (probably more than one until you find one that's comfortable) and battery packs..... a hundred quid isn't going to go a long way.

Q2 does come with a facial interface, and a battery... But a battery pack is a big comfort help, and a massively improved battery life is nice. But I think most people these days have a battery pack anyway don't they? I use the stock strap with a headcup attachment, along with a universal battery pack holder, I think less than £10 for both. Use the default facial interface too (with the silicon cover, which is free).

Not sure having the option to try a lot of different headstraps to find one that suits you is a bad thing either. And in the Uk at least you can return things you've ordered online, so it's not like you have to keep each one that you didn't like. What if you aren't a fan of the pico headstrap? If the battery is integrated, as it appears to be, that's it, game over.

And you still don't need any of that stuff. Stock strap really isn't that bad if you've fitted it properly, OK, it's not super comfort, but a few cable ties, or even hair bands, for a battery pack on the back, and it's really just fine. And it's still the price in the shop. That's the entry point, not the accessories etc.

I was expecting more basically, not revolution, but a bit more evolution. The only evolution here is the display port (I think they supply the cable, which is a nice touch), but it's an evolution in a direction that I think is incorrect. Oled screen perhaps.

Where's their market? I just got myself a 2nd hand quest 2 for £170, it's not the cheap end their targeting. It's not high end either. Mid point there's a ton of competition, with exciting things coming and anyone avoiding facebook isn't likely to want to jump in bed with bytedance.

If they'd have released this at the same time as the q2, then it would have been a real ding dong of a battle, quite possibly with the q2 losing out, but 2 years later after the q2 is fairly entrenched in that part of the market?

The Arpara headset looks interesting to me, more than this.

Soldato
I think some people underestimate the value of vr headsets as they have been skewed by the oculus prices which are hugely subsidised.

if we believe MRTV this is a headset with visuals surpassing the quest 2 almost on a par with the reverb G2 but for significantly less than the G2 and with standalone capability too
for all those people (and there are a lot ) saying "but evil Facebook are not getting a penny from me) here is their chance to put their money where their mouth is..... no account needed in PCVR mode and only limited info needed in stand alone mode. (no hooks into social media)

Associate
Yeah they have that option and it looks like junk atm, hence needing a proven tracking solution. Just cos someone slaps Aio on their device doesn't mean its any good.
Yeh i agree the aio arpara is totally unproven, from the very little that has been seen of it (all arpara vid releases) lets just say it didn't look oculus tracking quality.

Soldato
I think some people underestimate the value of vr headsets as they have been skewed by the oculus prices which are hugely subsidised.

if we believe MRTV this is a headset with visuals surpassing the quest 2 almost on a par with the reverb G2 but for significantly less than the G2 and with standalone capability too
for all those people (and there are a lot ) saying "but evil Facebook are not getting a penny from me) here is their chance to put their money where their mouth is..... no account needed in PCVR mode and only limited info needed in stand alone mode. (no hooks into social media)

This headset is been subsidised by ByteDance. So if the people who didn't buy the Quest 2 because it was owned by Facebook and are worried about privacy, then it would be really double standards of them to go out and buy one of these Pico headsets. Bytedance is worse than Facebook in regards to Data Collection.

Soldato
This headset is been subsidised by ByteDance. So if the people who didn't buy the Quest 2 because it was owned by Facebook and are worried about privacy, then it would be really double standards of them to go out and buy one of these Pico headsets. Bytedance is worse than Facebook in regards to Data Collection.
maybe but you don't have to give you details over at all if you use as PCVR and if you use their store you only need basic details like PayPal

that said since when did hypocrisy stop anyone? loads of companies have my data and the amount of breaches now mean my data is now out there

Soldato
maybe but you don't have to give you details over at all if you use as PCVR and if you use their store you only need basic details like PayPal

You have to download an app onto your PC to use PCVR. An App developed by a company that even the Chinese Government has problems with their illegal data collection methods. So If I was worried about my privacy, I definitely wouldn't be buying a Pico headset!!

that said since when did hypocrisy stop anyone? loads of companies have my data and the amount of breaches now mean my data is now out there

I am talking about all those people you mentioned in your post. All those people saying that "Evil Facebook are not getting a penny from me" And they should put their money where their mouth is and buy this headset. Well, no, they shouldn't, not if privacy is their concern.

All I am saying is that this isn't a "put your money where you mouth is" headset for the Facebook haters or those with privacy concerns. If Valve released it, then yes, it would be.

ByteDance makes Facebook look good!!

Soldato
You have to download an app onto your PC to use PCVR. An App developed by a company that even the Chinese Government has problems with their illegal data collection methods. So If I was worried about my privacy, I definitely wouldn't be buying a Pico headset!!

I am talking about all those people you mentioned in your post. All those people saying that "Evil Facebook are not getting a penny from me" And they should put their money where their mouth is and buy this headset. Well, no, they shouldn't, not if privacy is their concern.

All I am saying is that this isn't a "put your money where you mouth is" headset for the Facebook haters or those with privacy concerns. If Valve released it, then yes, it would be.

ByteDance makes Facebook look good!!
according to MRTV if you use in PCVR mode you don't need to give them any details. am pretty sure if there was anything dodgy in the installation software people would find out.

youv say valve would be fine. I have never understood the halo some people like to give valve. they are the company who started the forced installed of 3rd party software which took your details before you could play a game. before then you bought a game cd, put in a code and job done, no personal data handed over (I suppose a virus could be on a game cd but once you go down that road then that is ton foil hat territory imo).
.Valve often change their EULA at will and if they do and you don't agree with it then kiss.goodbye to your entire game library .
Google also use our personal details, same with Amazon and Microsoft, hell even Sainsbury's know more about me than I would choose them too. imo the privacy ship sailed long ago.

to my knowledge the worst companies to have abused my personal info are..... Sony (they lost unencrypted credit card details iirc along with the usual personal info) and HP recently who used a company who lost all my personal details and maybe bank info as well but they were wooly about that (after I got my reverb G2 - keeping the VR theme)

Soldato
Not a great start... Initial teething troubles perhaps. Hopefully they can be sorted with future updates.

I like his videos, but, he is a bit of an odd reviewer. He seems to be a little bit clueless if I am been honest. Calling it data port instead of display port, Not reinstalling SteamVR much earlier in this troubleshooting and not been able to enable 90Hz mode on his headset basically because he didn't know how.

There does seem to be some issues, but, not as many as this video suggests. The sound quality in PCVR, ouch!! not great at all.

With the limited numbers available for sale and the fact that it is just a BETA test and not the final release of the headset, I don't think it's worth investing in.

Soldato
I like his videos, but, he is a bit of an odd reviewer. He seems to be a little bit clueless if I am been honest. Calling it data port instead of display port, Not reinstalling SteamVR much earlier in this troubleshooting and not been able to enable 90Hz mode on his headset basically because he didn't know how.

There does seem to be some issues, but, not as many as this video suggests. The sound quality in PCVR, ouch!! not great at all.

With the limited numbers available for sale and the fact that it is just a BETA test and not the final release of the headset, I don't think it's worth investing in.

Mmmm, according to Sebastian on MRTV, the issues including the scaling and 90Hz with DP have been fixed, so he may have jumped the gun a bit, or didn't update his headset before reviewing.

Last edited:
Soldato
And no facebook requirements.

To be honest, that never bothered me. I already have a facebook account, although I very rarely use it these days.

It was mainly the displayport and not running the battery down. Looking at it though, I think it's a slightly better design so hopefully comfort will be a bit better. The top strap looks a good design too, no velcro for a start.

Back
Top Bottom