** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Soldato
I will be having a look at the 'Ultra Clear' coating used on these monitors later this week and will be comparing them to other anti-reflective and low haze screen surfaces in terms of unwanted reflection (for an ongoing article). Don't get too excited as Samsung are 'only' giving me a T29A950 to look at but I have a member of the SA750 in my sights for the near future.

Associate
Rec,

I've been told that the Ultra Clear coating is the same as a typical glossy finish.

With a glossy finish, reflections only appear when the screen displays blacks and very dark colours. The less ambient light in your room the less apparent reflections will be. Also, the only time I notice reflections is when I adjust my focus on them.

I don't think I could ever go back to a screen with a matte finish again because the anti glare coating makes the picture look "dirty" and the details less "crisp". A glossy finish gives colours so much more "pop" and the image looks so much more "crisp".

Last edited:
Associate
As stated above reflections increase the darker the image on screen.

My wife had her laptop on such that it was behind me but facing the Samsung screen. I could easily see the contents of what she was looking without turning around. That is how reflective it is! Anti-glare is a worthless expression in the context of this monitor I'm afraid.

If you have a window or a light or another computer facing this monitor, then this isn't the monitor for you.

Yes it has fabulous contrast and the colours pop out of the screen. But if you cannot eliminate reflections then you need to stick to more conventional displays with matte surfaces.

Soldato
My wife had her laptop on such that it was behind me but facing the Samsung screen. I could easily see the contents of what she was looking without turning around. That is how reflective it is! Anti-glare is a worthless expression in the context of this monitor I'm afraid.

I don't think anybody would refer (unless erroneously) to a glossy monitor as 'anti glare', as this is a property of the light diffusion from a matte surface. They are often referred to as 'anti reflective' due to their propensity to reduce the reflected light in comparison to an untreated glossy surface. It is of little consolation in many circumstances but Samsung's 'Ultra Clear' coating is designed to offer superior reduction in reflection than 'conventional' AR surfaces such as HP Bright View and ASUS Color Shine. Whilst dark colours in particular may cause unbearable reflection on the Ultra Clear if light falls on the screen directly the same level of reflection may occur on a conventionally coated glossy screen during lighter scenes and with lower levels of direct or even ambient light.

As I said this is scant consolation to those who find the reflections troublesome but there are differences here and I will be exploring them in the upcoming article. From what I've been told the Ultra Clear panel coating can also be applied to a greater degree for superior anti-reflective performance, so this is a possible future direction for Samsung products. It is also possible (but perhaps unlikely) that the SA750 series has a slightly different coating to the SA950 series.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think this monitor is probably out for me as my desk is setup with a big window directly behind me so the gloss would lead to too many reflections. Shame, as i'd like a 120Hz monitor and 27" was very appealing, so guess i'm limited to choosing 24" unless someone else releases a 27" before the end of August...PCM2 any inside info on that? ;)

Associate
I am confused about getting additional glasses for this monitor.

In the manual it says you MUST use
SSG-M3750CR

I can't seem to locate this anywhere to purchase, seems to be a rechargeable type of glasses. So perhaps what they originally intended to include with these monitors were changed.

Then on the glasses themselves it has
SSG-3100GB

This is available everywhere! However, the strange thing is the glasses are branded SyncMaster as if they are a special version of them.

So now I am very confused if these glasses are the same ones provided with TVs or a specially modified version of them that means I am out of luck to purchase additional glasses at this time.

Last edited:
Associate
I am sure they will. However don't expect it to have the 2D->3D option or look quite as stylish. It is also an nVidia only model from what I can see.

oh goody goody does that mean all the none SA27950D owners with nvidia cards will bog off moaning on here LOL only kidding :D:D:D

just a happy owner update, yesterday played a couple of hours on black ops in 3D, and fallout 3D is absolutely gorgeous in 3D at 100% depth

also re the reflective screen, im not finding it that bad, using desktop its fine with daylight in the room and i have a massive window right behind me,
abd for gaming with the dark wood blinds fully closed its still good, having said that i do not get direct sunlight thru the window until about 2 pm and then its at an angle,

but replections are the nature of glossy screens , i had anightmare with my panny 50V10 plasma, now i have the LG matt screen its a lot better,

so if you have a reflective house:D then this wont be the screen for you,

Associate
I am confused about getting additional glasses for this monitor.

In the manual it says you MUST use
SSG-M3750CR

I can't seem to locate this anywhere to purchase, seems to be a rechargeable type of glasses. So perhaps what they originally intended to include with these monitors were changed.

Then on the glasses themselves it has
SSG-3100GB

This is available everywhere! However, the strange thing is the glasses are branded SyncMaster as if they are a special version of them.

So now I am very confused if these glasses are the same ones provided with TVs or a specially modified version of them that means I am out of luck to purchase additional glasses at this time.

Just had a quik look for you , as I'm understanding it any samsung 3D glasses with GB at the end are compatable ( this seems to define them as Bluetooth ), if you search flea bay the glasses we have are for sale for the sammy 2011 3D telleys , now any model up to the 3100's are replaceable battery type but for models 3300 and above are the rechargeable ones

Wot u need is Amy one who has the sa950 and a 2011 sammy 3d telly to try them out :D
Re the 120hz thing I'm confused as really the only difference between you and me is the cards mine bring 6870 and Urs the 6990 ! Sorry I wish I called help sort it out :(

Associate
Just had a quik look for you , as I'm understanding it any samsung 3D glasses with GB at the end are compatable ( this seems to define them as Bluetooth ), if you search flea bay the glasses we have are for sale for the sammy 2011 3D telleys , now any model up to the 3100's are replaceable battery type but for models 3300 and above are the rechargeable ones

Wot u need is Amy one who has the sa950 and a 2011 sammy 3d telly to try them out :D
Re the 120hz thing I'm confused as really the only difference between you and me is the cards mine bring 6870 and Urs the 6990 ! Sorry I wish I called help sort it out :(

I am running okay at 120Hz now, but with some ghosting in one eye. I use RadeonPro to force a single GPU to be used when playing 3D games. I am playing the new Alice title and it looks great in 3D.

I am eagerly awaiting Catalyst 11.7 drivers because supposedly they may fix the crossfire restriction. It was due last Friday according to rumours which seem to have been totally wrong. Of course 11.7 may not deliver what I hope it does either.

Associate
S23A750D still pre-order only and w/o any specific stock date, seriously?
wasn't it said sometime ago "stock expected even today or very very soon..." etc?

Hitman
Soldato
I seem to be getting told one thing and seeing another :p

I actually cancelled my S27A750D order today and was going to go with a HZ27WC instead, but that then went out of stock due to a warehouse inaccuracy once my order was changed.

The friendly chap on the WebNote then informed me that both screens would be in-stock in 2-3 working days, but the HZ27WC is now showing as a pre-order for 05/08/11 and still nothing for S27A750D.

Anyones guess at this point.

Back
Top Bottom