** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Apologies for effective butting in, but ive been following these monitors for a while now with the intent of picking up the 950 for 3d. Is anyone actually having success with these or are they a bit of a flop? as im hearing of issues in many places where i've looked. I just dont want to shell out £600 and be dissapointed, as i have the express purpose of using the 3d on this monitor, but also want tv inputs as well.

So i got home last night with the intention of getting to grips with the 3d on this screen.

Have not re-attempted gaming yet (first attempt the night i got it wasn't pretty) but downloaded some half SBS 3d sample videos *cough* and im pretty stoked now. Windows media player, or home cinema classic play the mkv's or whatever fine.

They launch in side by side, and when you enable 3D side by side mode, they snap back in to a single picture, but obviously alternating frames (not sure that's the correct terminology but each eye sees a different side if that makes sense).

3d SBS movies seem to be on par with what ive seen in the cinema. Scene in how to train your dragon when toothless dives flying towards some cliffs is just as breath taking as when i watched it at the cinema. Basically the 3D movie features of the screen went from being something i wasnt going to show my friends - to the first thing i dragged anyone and everyone to that comes through the door.

Very impressed now. As i have got a Nvidia GTX580, i need to suss out the gaming side now - but if you want this screen for 3D movies, based on what i have seen now with a bit of experimenting - so far it's very impressive. If i can get the gaming somewhere near, i will be very happy indeed.

Last edited:
YOU!!! SIR ARE A GOD AMONGST MEN:D

hot digady!!!

black ops
fallout 3
f12010

when loaded as you stated, the screen auto defaults to 3D frame seq 120hZ

i put all to deph 100 and not a single biy of ghousting, F1 in ****pit view actaully is freaking me out lol

i woke up this morning wondering if £600 was aworth while investment, despite the screens beauty!!

and you have answered my prayers:cool: 2 weeks off coming up of pure slight intoxicated 3D fun :D:D

Tried this ....still getting ghosting but now in one eye only. I am using LFD2 as the measure here. It also doesn't always auto-detect it....it seems to be about 50% of the time.

The ghosting is in the right eye. If you are right-eyed (dominant right eye), you will see it. If you are left-eyed, then you will not see any ghosting at all.

It is very strange how this monitor is behaving to different start conditions. It all feels a bit flakey being honest. Looks like the firmware on the monitor needed more time....

Tried this ....still getting ghosting but now in one eye only. I am using LFD2 as the measure here. It also doesn't always auto-detect it....it seems to be about 50% of the time.

The ghosting is in the right eye. If you are right-eyed (dominant right eye), you will see it. If you are left-eyed, then you will not see any ghosting at all.

It is very strange how this monitor is behaving to different start conditions. It all feels a bit flakey being honest. Looks like the firmware on the monitor needed more time....

that is ashame, as i previously stated i did acomplete o/s reinstall, i loaded everything possible bar the monitor drivers and tridef stuff,

when installing the o/s o installed the
amd_catalyst_11.5b_hotfix_8.85.6rc5_win7_may25 drivers then
11-6_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl drivers

i loaded each game to make sure it was all setup etc,

then i finally loaded the monitor drivers and tridef ones and then the update,

i still got ghosting on all games

untill today when i followed maze's instructions to the letter, and the gmaes are perfect even at 100% depth

itd ashame you dont have a single ati card to try just incase your problem is the 6990 despite disabling one core

But I found out another thing I want to share with you:

DVI Mode -> Desktop at 60Hz -> start game:
-> Monitor switches automatic in 3D Mode and shows 1920x1080/120Hz
-> nearly no ghosting :cool:

DVI Mode -> Desktop at 120Hz -> start game:
-> Monitor does not switch automatic in 3D Mode you have to do it manually
-> Monitor shows 1920x1080/120Hz
-> some more ghosting :confused:

Perhaps you can try that out with some other games. Start the games in DVI Mode with a Windows Desktop frequency of 60Hz!

This doesn't bode well for the 750 models :/ as those are Display Port / HDMI only.

Could someone with a 950 and displayport try this?

Also, does anyone happen to have a AMD and Nvidia gpu for comparisions of 3d quality over dvi/dp ?

that is ashame, as i previously stated i did acomplete o/s reinstall, i loaded everything possible bar the monitor drivers and tridef stuff,

untill today when i followed maze's instructions to the letter, and the gmaes are perfect even at 100% depth

itd ashame you dont have a single ati card to try just incase your problem is the 6990 despite disabling one core

Yeah so i just set my refresh to 60, installed the latest tridef from the website - and set my monitor up in the tridef control panel as standard - side by side parallel.

Then launched EVE online with tridef ignition. Pressed 0 on my number pad to access the tridef in game menu. Went to 3d, set depth to 100, next one down to 80 (99 seemed a bit off for me) then ON for custom focus, then 80 again and 100.

So with those settings, i had 100% in focus (eyes not going mental), NO ghosting and the 3d was stunning. The depth and clarity once you play with it on these settings is simply brilliant. It looks like you can reach out and touch the ship. Going from great to better this screen by the minute. Off to try more games :D

yup can vouch for what maze is saying was trying it tonight noticed that once i connected by dvi it was showing as 60hz on windows but on any games once it had loased it had defulted to 120hz no ghosting what so ever.

has anyone tried to see if displayport can be set to 60hz on the dektop and will it do the same thing?

seem weird that this is happening but cant fault the 3D on it now looks brilliant.

side by side parallel.

sorry if i have not paid attention, but have you got an Nvidia card hence using SBS? but either way sounds like its working for you,:D

has anyone tried to see if displayport can be set to 60hz on the dektop and will it do the same thing?

seem weird that this is happening but cant fault the 3D on it now looks brilliant.

i can give this ago tomorrow morning, i decided rather than mess around i connected all the cables at the back of the sammy, then i just need to attached the right one to the ATI card :cool:

Can you guys tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz? Are you sure it's running at 120hz in game when applying this walk-around?

oh trust me, i check that for every game at least 3 times and checked before and after to check desktop was still at 60hz:D

in game was def 3D frame sequential @ 120hz

Hmm, I doubt its the 6990, although I am hoping the catalyst 11.7 driver which is meant to be released later today if it is not delayed, may stop me having to deal with the dual GPU issue.

Do you have LFD2? This game is one of the worst for highlighting ghosting. That's why I am testing with it.

Also as I mentioned previously, it is possible to end up with ghosting in only one eye. Depending on which of your eyes are dominant that means you will either see some ghosting or none. You can also test for this by wearing the glasses upside down temporarily to see if you can see ghosting then.

This doesn't bode well for the 750 models :/ as those are Display Port / HDMI only.

of course someone with a 750 should test it, but at present I would agree with you because I am not able to run the windows desktop at 1920x1080/60Hz with DisplayPort connected and Radeon 5870/11.5b. When i try to switch to 60Hz the monitor switches automatic to 1280x720/60Hz. Someone else tried that?

after further tests with DisplayPort I would extend the table as follows:

Tested with Dragon Age Origins, Marketplace Denerim
(DX9, full quality settings, everything On)

a) DVI Mode -> Desktop at 1920x1080/60Hz -> start game:
-> Monitor switches automatic in 3D Mode and shows 1920x1080/120Hz
-> nearly no ghosting (we have a winner here :cool:)

b) DVI Mode -> Desktop at 1920x1080/120Hz -> start game:
-> not massive, but for me annoying ghosting :(
-> exactly like d)

c) DP Mode -> Desktop at 1920x1080/60Hz -> not possible

d) DP Mode -> Desktop at 1920x1080/120Hz -> start game:
-> not massive, but for me annoying ghosting :(
-> exactly like b)

So, at present the only way to play in 3D with Full HD res and 120Hz and nearly no ghosting is when monitor is connected per DVI !!

Had the same thoughts on it. its not a very confiding feeling that we have to start games with a special trick in a specific configuration. Hopefully firmware or driver updates will fix that and hopefully firmware or driver updates will not break the only possibility we have right now to play 3D in superb quality (DVI 60 Hz..)

to everybody who has installed the Radeon 11.6 driver! Did you uninstall the 11.5b driver before installing the new one (driver sweeper, etc.)? or have you installed it just over the old 11.5b?

No and No :D as in for some reason i cannot select 60hz at 1920x1080 it keeps defaulting to some crappy resolution:mad: and when playing games i still get ghousting,

it is odd that you cannot change to 60hz in desktop, wonder if its alimitation of DP

Hmm, I doubt its the 6990, although I am hoping the catalyst 11.7 driver which is meant to be released later today if it is not delayed, may stop me having to deal with the dual GPU issue.

Do you have LFD2? This game is one of the worst for highlighting ghosting. That's why I am testing with it.

Also as I mentioned previously, it is possible to end up with ghosting in only one eye. Depending on which of your eyes are dominant that means you will either see some ghosting or none. You can also test for this by wearing the glasses upside down temporarily to see if you can see ghosting then.

Hi ya, no i dont have left 4 dead 2 unfortunately, might have alook to see if i can get hold of a copy :cool:

I used to always have to do a completely clean install using driver sweeper (at least on xp x64 I did), ati drivers are dodgy like that. With nvidia, it does it all itself.
You might get lucky a few times with ati but you'll end up with problems eventually if you don't clean up.
I'd definitely recommend using driver sweeper.

Anyone care to provide me some feedback on the merits of frame sequential (over SBS) in real life. I know what the differences are technically. But how does it look different to SBS? Just better horizontal res? Is that it? More or less stable picture or anything? Does it eliminate the annoying cursor issues with SBS? :confused:

Any other NV users have cursor issues with SBS? For example Dragon Age 2's cursor in SBS mode is all over the place!:mad:

Will this SBS limitation EVER get fixed or do i have to sell up and go ATI? :(

Really?:confused: This 3D malarky via TriDef does seem a bit flakey, and somewhat hit and miss.

Its a pain because from what i have read, 3D vision is a bit more stable. Shame it doesn't work with this screen. :mad:

Some games are written with 3D in mind, but not many. Much fewer than I would hope. For those NOT written for 3D, they are always a hack with the custom profiles for NVidia, Tridef, IZ3D or any other, merely being an interpretation of the z-buffer. The trouble is due to the way the game renders each frame, certain things like cursors may be rendered at a different time and therefore appear totally out of position to everything else.

Some games are written with 3D in mind but not vendor specific, and others are vendor specific. If I recall, the Avatar game had special built-in coding for nVidia 3D. Some future titles will apparently be optimised for ATI HD3D without any need for Tridef or iZ3D.

From my own tests, I still stand by my previous claim that SBS and frame sequential are not as big a difference as you would think. I don't think you are losing out THAT much. But we all like to have the optimum set-up though.

There is no reason for SBS to give more crosstalk than frame sequential. I remember when the first projectors and TVs came out, they were blaming the content for the crosstalk. Then when the first Acer DLP 3D projector came out, all the stuff that had ghosting before and was blamed on content magically disappeared. Ghosting is caused by the display device. There is simply no way to ruin the original content via SBS or any other encoding that would somehow ADD ghosting. If SBS looks worse, it is because of issues with the display device.

Another example, the JVC high-end projectors like the X3, X7 and X9 display 3D blu-ray at 96hz and SBS at 100Hz or 120Hz. Of course SBS has more ghosting because it has a higher refresh and the panels can't switch fast enough.

In the case of the Samsung 120Hz is used for everything and I don't think the ghosting was worse (other than the trick mentioned above), whether it was SBS or frame sequential. Perhaps starting from a 60Hz signal will benefit the ghosting of SBS material too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom