NEW SAMSUNG GAMING 49", 32" & 27" CURVED HDR, 144Hz, WQHD LIKE A BOSS MONITORS!!

Associate
Certainly not yet and no real info stating that there deffo will be that I have seen. Sadly, the 80DPI mentioned in that review is going to be a tricky one for me to justify, but the simplicity of one big ass screen over driving three higher res screens is tempting.

Associate
Personally I think the resolution vertically is just a little to low, if it were 1440 I think it could justify the price a lot more.

Then again, convenience of one big screen rather than 3 smaller ones, I'm sure there are people out there that have been wishing or something like this for a long time.

Caporegime
This is encouraging from the review;

Thanks to this display’s resolution being double that of 1080p, game support for its massive 32:9 aspect ratio is surprisingly good. Exactly how each game deals with the resolution will vary, but the majority of modern games will at least work.

OcUK Staff
OP
My view on this when I played on it, that if your a gamer who mainly does driving and flight/space simulators its quite a must have. I even found it awesome playing DOOM.

If your do a lot of work on your PC, then you might want to look at the 38" LG and DELL offerings for around a grand, as the 3840x1600 resolution really is amazing for productivity and at 38" still pretty large.

But the Samsung is unbeatable for how fluid stuff is, Samsung tried to explain it and you can't explain it, you need to see it because there FPS mode simply for me was better than using FREESYNC, very effective hardware monitor system that simply worked in all the games tried it on, but Project cars had a real sense of speed with it enabled and DOOM too. Maybe not so necessary for slower paced games.

Caporegime
My view on this when I played on it, that if your a gamer who mainly does driving and flight/space simulators its quite a must have. I even found it awesome playing DOOM.

If your do a lot of work on your PC, then you might want to look at the 38" LG and DELL offerings for around a grand, as the 3840x1600 resolution really is amazing for productivity and at 38" still pretty large.

But the Samsung is unbeatable for how fluid stuff is, Samsung tried to explain it and you can't explain it, you need to see it because there FPS mode simply for me was better than using FREESYNC, very effective hardware monitor system that simply worked in all the games tried it on, but Project cars had a real sense of speed with it enabled and DOOM too. Maybe not so necessary for slower paced games.

I gotta say m8, if I played those type of games I'd probably be down there tomorrow with £1300 in my pocket :D

Something like Star Citizen is going to be absolutely epic on this screen when it's out :cool:

With the quality HDR I don't think this is a bad deal at all tbh...

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The 49" is too expensive for me, but I'm very interested in the 27" and 32".

@Gibbo , would you say these two are the best non G-Sync and non-TN gaming monitors right now? For PC gaming (ie sat at desk with mouse+kb), is 32" too big? I'm sat around 25 inches from the monitor.

I also a bit torn whether to go ultrawide, but the (on paper) performance of this Samsung range pulls me away from the ultawide options. Also, Overwatch does not support 21:9, though that is only one game...

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I currently have a 23 inch monitor... Although the 27 is 38% more real estate, it is only 3.5" wider and 2" taller. It would still be an upgrade though, as current monitor is TN at 60Hz.

The 32inch is much bigger, being nearly 7.5" wider and 4" taller than current monitor.

Something else to consider, current monitor is 102ppi, 27 inch is 109 ppi, but 32" is only 93 ppi... Real difference?

I think that I need to check out some big monitors and ultra wide in the flesh.

Man of Honour
Can anyone confirm if HDR functions with Nvidia GFX cards?
Only certain modern top end cards. You'd need to check the nvidia specs. But even then you will also need supporting operating system, software and content. It's a real pain getting HDR to work from a pc still!

Soldato
Well I caved and got one of the 49" CHG90s.

First impression is that this thing is absolutely flippin' massive! I've seen a few reviews and that's the 1st thing they comment on. I thought they were just overstating it for the review, but the size of this monitor is just insane.

Here are a couple of photos next to my g/f's machine. She's got a 27", 1080p screen (same one I had before this) and the difference is quite apparent. (excuse the cable management I need to get this sorted when I get a VESA arm). My desk is 600mm deep and the middle of the stand where my keyboard is sat on is 300mm deep, so if your desk isn't very deep, (like mine) then I think a VESA arm will come in handy to move the screen back towards the wall.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_04881.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

For desktop use I just have a 1920x1080 web browser & the same for Steam/GOG etc, having them full screen just doesn't look right.

Gaming wise, I'm running a PC with a 1080 GTX and the picture quality is amazing, and all the games I've tried, WoW, GR:Wildlands, Dishonoured 2, Divinity:OS2 Pillars of Eternity, ESO and The Witcher 3 all support the resolution straight away. They play very smoothly and look great on a screen this size, the immersion is fantastic1 I found myself a few times leaning to one side when manoeuvring a helicopter in GR:Wildlands.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

One thing I've noticed when playing 1st and 3rd person games, the image at the sides is stretched, so items at the sides appear wider and closer then they do when in the centre of the screen. I don't know if this is the same of all wide screen monitors (Acer x34, etc) or it's unique to this screen. If anyone reading this could advise if it is a thing on widescreens I'd appreciate it, thanks :)

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

I've only had it since yesterday afternoon, so haven't had much chance to play around with it, but will be doing so over the next few days and I'll update this thread with more thoughts on it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Associate
I caved too and just ordered the 32' .
Unfortunately don't have enough room for the 49' @wordy. Jealous though..Looks amazing.

Will be receiving the new monitor Monday, my Vega 64 AIO will be powering it.

Back
Top Bottom