** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Soldato
Even if you end up paying no usage fees or anything of that type, I am 100% certain, that unless the unit is faulty, (and therein lies the problem, they do not consider a few dead pixels as faulty) you are responsible for courier costs, you go get a quote for a box of that size and weight, even without insurance, and you're a brave man if you consider sending a £600+ monitor back without insurance, cause then YOU'RE liable to pay for any damages when it gets back to OCUK lol, could you imagine, ending up paying full price for the monitor and not even having one, cause you were just settling up cause you did not pay the insurance on top. All in all, just to return the monitor with insurance you probably looking at a pretty penny...

This figure will be added to the original price every time you wanna swap it out and play the panel lottery. Its the reason people are ****** off with monitor market and turn to buying a TV like a LG oled or whatever, the quality control is worlds apart.

So yes, if monitor makers wanna ask top dollar for a monitor, i'll keep expecting faultless quality. And since that is never gonna happen, we the consumer have to be smart, and make smart purchases, from retailers who will have customer service and our satisfaction closer to heart, and therefore not ending up making my wallet cry.

I agree with you but all the time people buy them then they won't change. I wouldn't return it without insurance either but surely you don't need a box if you've kept the box it came in. It pays to shop around some offer free returns.

If it wasn't such a big item you could probably insist on it being demonstrated to you in a store, well if they wanted the sale that is.

Associate
Even if you end up paying no usage fees or anything of that type, I am 100% certain, that unless the unit is faulty, (and therein lies the problem, they do not consider a few dead pixels as faulty) you are responsible for courier costs, you go get a quote for a box of that size and weight, even without insurance, and you're a brave man if you consider sending a £600+ monitor back without insurance, cause then YOU'RE liable to pay for any damages when it gets back to OCUK lol, could you imagine, ending up paying full price for the monitor and not even having one, cause you were just settling up cause you did not pay the insurance on top. All in all, just to return the monitor with insurance you probably looking at a pretty penny...

This figure will be added to the original price every time you wanna swap it out and play the panel lottery. Its the reason people are ****** off with monitor market and turn to buying a TV like a LG oled or whatever, the quality control is worlds apart.

So yes, if monitor makers wanna ask top dollar for a monitor, i'll keep expecting faultless quality. And since that is never gonna happen, we the consumer have to be smart, and make smart purchases, from retailers who will have customer service and our satisfaction closer to heart, and therefore not ending up making my wallet cry.

All of this is making my think I've made a mistake pre-ordering from OCUK. This is their own forum, but it sounds like they're very lacking in the customer service and returns policies necessary to ensure getting a pixel perfect monitor, even when paying for these top of the line premium models. I'm getting worried now.

Associate
I agree with you but all the time people buy them then they won't change. I wouldn't return it without insurance either but surely you don't need a box if you've kept the box it came in.

If it wasn't such a big item you could probably insist on it being demonstrated to you in a store, well if they wanted the sale that is.

Even if its just in the retail box from Samsung, which most retailers ship monitors in, its still considered a LARGE item, combined with a few Kg's and the shipping costs mount, you would wanna ship such an expensive item for delivery next day, add in the insurance and you could easily end up paying 10-15% of the cost of the monitor in the first place, to either get a refund or take a punt on another one, this is all assuming there is not extra costs they wanna charge you for opening the box, unpacking it all and taking all plastic and stuff off BEFORE you discover a lovely dead pixel middle screen smiling at you lol...

Why do you think people call it the "panel lottery" and are fed up with it all, its why so many like myself come across so cynical when we discuss the monitor market...

Associate
Ive just spotted another dead pixel in the bottom right. It will have to go back. Absolutely gutting because this thing is a beast!
GL with that mate, just remember what OCUK will tell you, "its not a fault as it falls within ISO blah blah blah standards", standards that are there to protect the retailer and manufacture, NOT the consumer spending their hard earned lol....

Your shipping fees, your insurance costs and they might charge for the item now not being new. Suddenly a £500 monitor becomes a £600 and you are still not even sure if you will receive a fault free unit if you ask for a replacement. The real fun begins when you get a replacement that's the same/worse than the first one, but its still no considered faulty :DDDDD

Soldato
Even if its just in the retail box from Samsung, which most retailers ship monitors in, its still considered a LARGE item, combined with a few Kg's and the shipping costs mount, you would wanna ship such an expensive item for delivery next day, add in the insurance and you could easily end up paying 10-15% of the cost of the monitor in the first place, to either get a refund or take a punt on another one, this is all assuming there is not extra costs they wanna charge you for opening the box, unpacking it all and taking all plastic and stuff off BEFORE you discover a lovely dead pixel middle screen smiling at you lol...

Why do you think people call it the "panel lottery" and are fed up with it all, its why so many like myself come across so cynical when we discuss the monitor market...

Yep it's really awful. Worse when you read what the ISO standard covers. Presumably due to the number of pixels the G9 has, it would need to have around 15 type 1 or type 2 defective pixels to be considered faulty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

makes you wish you had delamination or some other fault...

Associate
GL with that mate, just remember what OCUK will tell you, "its not a fault as it falls within ISO blah blah blah standards", standards that are there to protect the retailer and manufacture, NOT the consumer spending their hard earned lol....

Your shipping fees, your insurance costs and they might charge for the item now not being new. Suddenly a £500 monitor becomes a £600 and you are still not even sure if you will receive a fault free unit if you ask for a replacement. The real fun begins when you get a replacement that's the same/worse than the first one, but its still no considered faulty :DDDDD

:( ill see how I get on, it wasnt from OCUK so I may be lucky.

Associate
All of this is making my think I've made a mistake pre-ordering from OCUK. This is their own forum, but it sounds like they're very lacking in the customer service and returns policies necessary to ensure getting a pixel perfect monitor, even when paying for these top of the line premium models. I'm getting worried now.

Like I said in an earlier reply to someone else, there is only 2 choices as far as I can see when it comes to monitors to be sure you are left satisfied.

Option 1: But a new DELL monitor direct from DELL or any retailer, including OCUK, as DELL offer premium 3 year doorstep swap out on their monitors, even for a SINGLE dead pixel, in my experience.

Option 2: Buy from somewhere else, there is only one retailer I know of that has such Amazing customer service, that they have swapped out monitors for me, even with a single dead pixel or 2, paid all shipping, and even sent the replacement first so i can compare them side by side, sorry cannot name any names, or hint, I'm sure you can figure it out :)

Associate
I think the top left is deffo a cluster of dead pixels around 2 to 4 together which looks to be covered with 0 tolerance? its deffo not one pixel. Ive taken a picture and you can see its a couple or 4.

Associate
1st off, to each of you for my 3 weeks of insomnia reading yere posts, I was far more excited for this monitor than I reasonable adult should be.

I got it today, its amazing monitor, no issues, no light bleed no dead pixels.

I did a 1st impressions video and unboxing as there is like 3 online right hope it helps folks.

Last edited:
Associate
https://youtu.be/xFb70-8pf3Y
1st off can I can thanks to each of you for my 3 weeks of insomnia reading yere posts, I was far more excited for this monitor than I reasonable adult should be.

I got it today it its amazing monitor,no issues, no light bleed no dead pixels.

I did a 1st impressions video and unboxing as there is like 3 online right hope it helps folks.

So happy for you mate, if mine was perfect I would be ecstatic!

Associate
So happy for you mate, if mine was perfect I would be ecstatic!
I literally have a 4 yr old work dell latitude and a surface pro 4 both running at 3840 x 1080. I can only imagine want ye guys would be seeing here. its a fab monitor. tons of wow factor. the curve is nearly unnoticeable after an hour or two.

now what to buy to get use while also a laptop. Surface Book 3?

Associate
I think this is genuinely the first monitor I've had dead pixels on....really didnt expect to purchase a £1279 monitor for these kinds of issues. The worst part...the monitor is breathtaking. I think i'm in love and dont want to switch but part of me is thinking exchange for the 32....but I really dont want to lol.

OcUK Staff
OP
Should have a decent chunk of 32" landing on the 29th, and enough to fulfill all the early pre-orders of the 27".

Regarding rumours of a recall of the 49" I haven't had any official word from Samsung. I've chased them to request confirmation.

I'll keep everyone posted as and when I receive information.

Back
Top Bottom