** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Mine was 100% good and used it for a week and noticed no problems, but have since done some firmware updates and more testing recently and noticed I have a stuck red pixel. Not sure what to do as it's clear of any other issues (No glue problems, no BLB, No flickering etc). What are the chances my sudden stuck red pixel could unstick itself?

Be a shame to RMA and play the panel lottery, probably end up with one with another issue or one with multiple dead/stuck pixels!

What do people think?

I believe there are some techniques you can use to try remedy this. One is to run a dead/stuck pixel video from someplace like youtube. I think this is more likely to help stuck ones than dead ones. The other is more direct approach, which involves taking a lint free cloth and a little lubricant and gently massaging the dead/stuck pixel into life, this has been known to work. Considering I have cleaned monitors with zero damage ever caused, including scraping off muck with finger nails etc etc, this may sound drastic but its really not, as long as you do not push or jab the screen to much is should cause zero damage or markings at all.

Soldato
Mine was 100% good and used it for a week and noticed no problems, but have since done some firmware updates and more testing recently and noticed I have a stuck red pixel. Not sure what to do as it's clear of any other issues (No glue problems yet, no BLB, No flickering etc). What are the chances my sudden stuck red pixel could unstick itself?

Be a shame to RMA and play the panel lottery, probably end up with one with another issue or one with multiple dead/stuck pixels!

What do people think?

Touch wood I've not noticed any on my G7! It's always that risk that you get one that's worse! The shop I got mine from will send a replacement before you ship old one back so that's why I didn't use OCUK as I had issues previously with dead pixels. Where about's on the screen is it?

Associate
After some.... unfortunate issues with my order i could be looking at least another month before i get my G7.

I'm almost at the point now where im considering alternatives, maybe even 2 and going dual monitor.

Associate
Touch wood I've not noticed any on my G7! It's always that risk that you get one that's worse! The shop I got mine from will send a replacement before you ship old one back so that's why I didn't use OCUK as I had issues previously with dead pixels. Where about's on the screen is it?

Its on the left hand side in the middle. It's so small sometimes i have trouble even finding it as it looks like a microscopic spec of dust. On a red background it vanishes, so definitely a stuck on red pixel.

I have 28 days to trigger a return. Ideal solution would be order another one and see if that's better, before letting go of this one. But stock is so limited it could take months to become available again.

Tempted to just live with it and hope one day it unsticks itself! It's strange as i swear it only appeared after i did a firmware update! Maybe another update will fix it?

Associate
I believe there are some techniques you can use to try remedy this. One is to run a dead/stuck pixel video from someplace like youtube. I think this is more likely to help stuck ones than dead ones. The other is more direct approach, which involves taking a lint free cloth and a little lubricant and gently massaging the dead/stuck pixel into life, this has been known to work. Considering I have cleaned monitors with zero damage ever caused, including scraping off muck with finger nails etc etc, this may sound drastic but its really not, as long as you do not push or jab the screen to much is should cause zero damage or markings at all.

Thanks very much for the tips. I might try this and see if it sorts it.

Associate
Yeah good luck with that, YouTube has done good pixel stress tests that can wake up a lazy pixel, worked once for me on a TV, but sadly came back again later

Associate
Just out of curiosity, what is OCUK returns policy on dead pixels?, for a premium product like this, not a single dead/stuck pixel would be acceptable to me, especially on the 32 inch at 1440p being slightly more noticeable than on the 27.
From the OCUK returns page:

TV & Monitor Pixel Policy
Please be aware that all of our Suppliers and thus Overclockers UK conform to the ISO 13406-2 standard - the acceptable number of dead pixels based on screen size and resolution. Information on this can be found through any major search engine typing "ISO 13406-2" and the monitor brand name. Products with dead pixels of equal to or less than those defined within the ISO 13406-2 standard will not be accepted for return.
So guess it depends on the monitor but I’m guessing they wouldn’t take it back if it’s only a couple of stuck pixels.

Associate
Put me off buying from OC but with £1k plus top of the range they have to be perfect

I can say for 100% certainty, I will not be purchasing any high end monitors from OCUK. A single dead/stuck pixel IS a defect, its not my problem if making them perfect makes the yield too low. I pay my monies, i expect a fault free device. This attitude the industry and retailers have adopted of "a certain level of defective pixels is OK, because there are so many" is a joke. I will spend my money on a monitor elsewhere, a place where my satisfaction is valued more, a place where my hard earned is not devalued by expecting me to be happy with a defective unit. When it comes to monitors, either buy a DELL monitor or buy from somewhere else.

Ree

Ree

Associate
i fixed 2 stuck green pixels with my finger and a microfiber cloth i thought it was an old wives tale type deal but it did work to my surprise.

Soldato
I can say for 100% certainty, I will not be purchasing any high end monitors from OCUK. A single dead/stuck pixel IS a defect, its not my problem if making them perfect makes the yield too low. I pay my monies, i expect a fault free device. This attitude the industry and retailers have adopted of "a certain level of defective pixels is OK, because there are so many" is a joke. I will spend my money on a monitor elsewhere, a place where my satisfaction is valued more, a place where my hard earned is not devalued by expecting me to be happy with a defective unit. When it comes to monitors, either buy a DELL monitor or buy from somewhere else.

Presumably you can notify OCUK within 14 days that you wish to return the product because you changed your mind though. I see if you bought it from Samsung directly though you'd get 28 days and free returns.

Associate
Presumably you can notify OCUK within 14 days that you wish to return the product because you changed your mind though. I see if you bought it from Samsung directly though you'd get 28 days and free returns.

Yeah the problem is that you can "return it" but not as a faulty unit, just as a return that was not supposed to be used. So they will charge you shipping and try to charge you restocking fees as well, so to try get a non defective unit, just a single swap over from OCUK could cost you over £100, taking into account the shipping costs for a large heavy box AND insurance, then the restocking fees too. You end up screwed trying to get a screen with no faulty pixels...

Associate
My G9 arrived today its absolutely amazing. after some serious testing ive spotted a dead pixel on the left side about 3 inches from the top and 6 inches from the edge. I think i'm covered for this, but man its gutting. Everything else seems amazing :(

Associate
I don't remember anything about restocking fees when return item back to OCUK because I changed my mind after few days of using the product ( Distance selling regulations within 14 days ) but yes I had to pay the postage myself to send item back.

Associate
My G9 arrived today its absolutely amazing. after some serious testing ive spotted a dead pixel on the left side about 3 inches from the top and 6 inches from the edge. I think i'm covered for this, but man its gutting. Everything else seems amazing :(

I've got one too and from what i am seeing online i think its quite common (few threads now reporting them). You are lucky if you dont have the glue problem or something else. Are you going to return it and roll the dice again or keep it and forget about it?

Soldato
Yeah the problem is that you can "return it" but not as a faulty unit, just as a return that was not supposed to be used. So they will charge you shipping and try to charge you restocking fees as well, so to try get a non defective unit, just a single swap over from OCUK could cost you over £100, taking into account the shipping costs for a large heavy box AND insurance, then the restocking fees too. You end up screwed trying to get a screen with no faulty pixels...

The policy seems to cover using it since the following says as much as you'd have the opportunity to use it in a shop which is what the condition is meant to be comparable to. I don't know whether they're meant to reimburse courier cost of return as that may have changed since the original distance selling regulation. It would seem odd not to reimburse these costs when the manufacturer would if purchased directly. I'd probably personally go the latter of these routes for this reason but for anyone in this situation having bought it here I'd raise the point in the customer service thread, see what they say.

You are liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling other than what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods. For example, if it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop. We will deduct this amount from the value of the refund.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/returns

Soldato

Any pictures of it? and any chance of measuring the stand to get the dimensions for me please?

Associate
The policy seems to cover using it since the following says as much as you'd have the opportunity to use it in a shop which is what the condition is meant to be comparable to. I don't know whether they're meant to reimburse courier cost of return as that may have changed since the original distance selling regulation. It would seem odd not to reimburse these costs when the manufacturer would if purchased directly. I'd probably personally go the latter of these routes for this reason but for anyone in this situation having bought it here I'd raise the point in the customer service thread, see what they say.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/returns

Even if you end up paying no usage fees or anything of that type, I am 100% certain, that unless the unit is faulty, (and therein lies the problem, they do not consider a few dead pixels as faulty) you are responsible for courier costs, you go get a quote for a box of that size and weight, even without insurance, and you're a brave man if you consider sending a £600+ monitor back without insurance, cause then YOU'RE liable to pay for any damages when it gets back to OCUK lol, could you imagine, ending up paying full price for the monitor and not even having one, cause you were just settling up cause you did not pay the insurance on top. All in all, just to return the monitor with insurance you probably looking at a pretty penny...

This figure will be added to the original price every time you wanna swap it out and play the panel lottery. Its the reason people are ****** off with monitor market and turn to buying a TV like a LG oled or whatever, the quality control is worlds apart.

So yes, if monitor makers wanna ask top dollar for a monitor, i'll keep expecting faultless quality. And since that is never gonna happen, we the consumer have to be smart, and make smart purchases, from retailers who will have customer service and our satisfaction closer to heart, and therefore not ending up making my wallet cry.

Associate
I've got one too and from what i am seeing online i think its quite common (few threads now reporting them). You are lucky if you dont have the glue problem or something else. Are you going to return it and roll the dice again or keep it and forget about it?

Its about 6 inches from the left and 4-5 inches from the top so its standing out whenever I search on google or have a white screen. Aside from that the monitor is perfect. Ive just played borderlands 3 for about an hour and its jaw dropping amazing! If Samsung tell me im covered Ill probably hold onto it for a while then sort out a repair or a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom