** NEW SAMSUNG ODYSSEY G7/G9 MONITORS 27-49" AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

This is likely to be my next monitor if anywhere gets stock in. It seems to have the fewest issues around compared with the LG 34/38".
Would be powered by an 3700 and a 2080Ti, so should hopefully get close to 120 in some games.

I do hate to say it though but with Overclockers stance on defective pixels on a monitor for £1280, I am not sure I would buy it from here...

New one offers gsynch compatibility as well. I will let you know when I get mine. However I am bit worried as I play a fair few fighting games. My son likes watching - just worried its too curved for that. I can see the advantages in racing games and fps the steeper curve though.

Is there any advantage to gsync over freesync? Given most people will choose to run this monitor with an up to date GPU?

This is likely to be my next monitor if anywhere gets stock in. It seems to have the fewest issues around compared with the LG 34/38".
Would be powered by an 3700 and a 2080Ti, so should hopefully get close to 120 in some games.

I do hate to say it though but with Overclockers stance on defective pixels on a monitor for £1280, I am not sure I would buy it from here...

I have been wondering about this. Is there an official stance or from experience? For that amount of monies I would expect it to work as designed.

I have been wondering about this. Is there an office stance or from experience? For that amount of monies I would expect it to work as designed.

There is a few posts over the past few days in the forum about the work to the ISO standard... so it depends on the number of pixels the monitor has.

I have been wondering about this. Is there an official stance or from experience? For that amount of monies I would expect it to work as designed.

Presumably if Samsung's policy is actually more generous than the previously mentioned ISO standard then OC would follow that instead. The ISO standard suggested about 15 type 1 or type 2 pixel faults for the resolution of the G9 but actually Samsung state over 7 dead pixels (type 2's) would be covered. Better still is if it has any pixel that is stuck on, shining white (type 1's), then it's covered by Zero Bright Defect as long as you report it very promptly as detailed below.

The Samsung text doesn't mention stuck pixels though so I guess you'd have to be guided by the ISO standard for them (type 3's).

From Samsung's website:

Dead Pixel Limited Warranty Statement
TFT-LCD/LED/PDP & Monitors

The dead pixel warranty applies when your TFT-LCD/LED/PDP & Monitors contains more than 7 dead pixels within the standard warranty period of your TFT-LCD Monitor which SAMSUNG will exchange the LCD panel/module, provided that the defective unit is returned to SAMSUNG complete with full accessories and original packaging.

Zero Bright Defect (ZBD) only applies when it occurs within 7 working days from purchased date, regardless of dot quantity, the defective LCD panel/module shall be replace by SAMSUNG.

Bright Dot Defect occurs when pixels are always lit or "ON". Black Dot Defect occurs when pixels are always dark or "OFF".

https://www.samsung.com/my/support/warranty/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2

Last edited:
I just spoke to Samsung Scandinavia again on the phone today regarding the very small sub-pixel fault (Posted about this on Page 47)
I told him that it is very small and might he hard to see if you are not aware, but he told me that there should be no pixel faults on a brand new Odyssey G7 (Maybe it's different since policy it's brand new?). It sound like they would like to send me a new one. I should hear back from them in a few days.
He also told me on that he would take a closer look on the new one before shipping it and if I find some issues with the new one, they will send a new one again.
It also sounded like a could get a discount on the current monitor if I wanted to just keep it, so I'll wait and see what they come up with.

I am actually quite surprised with this customer service so far.

@josh1quattro, Just reading that the 1000 series does not support Display Port "Display Stream Compression" (DSC) so cannot compress the signal enough like your 2000 series even though at launch most reviews site copy/pasted the same specs listing them as supporting it.

"Using DSC with HBR3 transmission rates, DisplayPort 1.4 can support 8K UHD (7680 × 4320) at 60 Hz or 4K UHD (3840 × 2160) at 120 Hz with 30 bit/px RGB <Wiki

So basically 144hz 10bit or higher and drop to 8bit for me and 10bit is needed to do HDR600 fully AFAIK.
I had a feeling that would be the case but hadnt got round to searching it up. I guess that makes sense. Still doesnt cover why mine downclocks and some arent though, including the 2080ti you mentioned. Strange one!

Blacks being crushed/loss black details, and also the way the lighting works in certain gaming settings, I have watched with a high speed camera and its strobing, which can cause eye issues.

Blacks don't get crushed because the pixel turns off so your statement is a tad confusing.

Blacks don't get crushed because the pixel turns off so your statement is a tad confusing.

Obviously this is regarding near blacks, not actually pure black with a pixel being off. This is one of the shortfalls of the LG CX OLED, near blacks are not based on the simplicity of ON/OFF, once you start going through a scale of shades of almost black>>>>darker shades grays and browns, this is all done with computing and processor work, this is where problems can and do pop up. Like i said, do research, you wanna learn about this stuff, don't follow these forums, go look at nerdy AV forums and stuff, they know far more about OLED and TV screens than you will find around here.

Well i just ordered the G9 from overclockers. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into a saga getting my hands on it! :)

Surprising they are again allowing pre-orders when they havent been able to fulfill the current waiting list and apparently have no info on incoming stock.....

Obviously this is regarding near blacks, not actually pure black with a pixel being off. This is one of the shortfalls of the LG CX OLED, near blacks are not based on the simplicity of ON/OFF, once you start going through a scale of shades of almost black>>>>darker shades grays and browns, this is all done with computing and processor work, this is where problems can and do pop up. Like i said, do research, you wanna learn about this stuff, don't follow these forums, go look at nerdy AV forums and stuff, they know far more about OLED and TV screens than you will find around here.

I can understand justifying your purchase but there is no need to spread misinformation.

Back
Top Bottom