New Star Trek series - 2017

Man of Honour
Not a bad ending. The visuals were great for a TV series. Too many feels throughout the series. Burnham is boring now. Saru is improving and I like him more. Georgiou is OK. But what I really, really, really want is pike and Spock on the Enterprise. Make it so?

Man of Honour
I’m pretty sure this lay the roots for the spin off that we all wanted. Well played cbs, well played.

The guy who plays pike is tremendous and Spock isn’t far behind.

Soldato
Enjoyable last episode. Series 2 was a big improvement over the first, I haven't enjoyed a Star Trek this much since TNG.

Feels a little rushed at times, cramming too much in, but no real complaints, apart from for christ's sake can we get rid of all the tearful, wobbly-lipped blank stare scenes with Burnham? It's really starting to grate now, has me wishing for a dose of Tilly's mood-lightening goofiness.

It'll be a shame if that's the end of Pike's Enterprise crew, I'd happily rank him #2 after Picard....spin off please!

Caporegime
Although the D7s were only on screen for a few seconds in the battle i enjoyed seeing the Klingons going ham just like they should.

I thought they would have got a bit more screen time considering they made a point of saying they would arrive soon. Would have been nice to see a bunch of them decloaking, swooping in and opening fire.

Does anyone know the name of whatever that thing is on the left that looks like it has a mutilated arse for a head?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Does anyone know the name of whatever that thing is on the left that looks like it has a mutilated arse for a head?

I think that's the character that Glenn Hetrick (head prosthetic and makeup guy) named Osnullus. Played by Avaah Blackwell, supposed to be an ensign. YMMV on gender, but Avaah is a lady so I go with that.

***edit***

I thought they would have got a bit more screen time considering they made a point of saying they would arrive soon. Would have been nice to see a bunch of them decloaking, swooping in and opening fire.

I can't really bash STD much for this because ENT was the first to screw it up. The first time we saw a cloak in Trek ("Balance Of Terror"), Spock reckoned that such a device was 'theoretically possible', albeit costly in terms of power usage. Implying that Starfleet had never come across a working cloak before. Then in ENT we see Romulan ships cloak and decloak (cloaks that really should have made the Earth-Romulan war rather one-sided...), now in Discovery we have Klingons using cloaks that they won't be seen using again until the third movie as well.

This is why prequels are so problematic in this universe...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think that's the character that Glenn Hetrick (head prosthetic and makeup guy) named Osnullus. Played by Avaah Blackwell, supposed to be an ensign. YMMV on gender, but Avaah is a lady so I go with that.

***edit***

I can't really bash STD much for this because ENT was the first to screw it up. The first time we saw a cloak in Trek ("Balance Of Terror"), Spock reckoned that such a device was 'theoretically possible', albeit costly in terms of power usage. Implying that Starfleet had never come across a working cloak before. Then in ENT we see Romulan ships cloak and decloak (cloaks that really should have made the Earth-Romulan war rather one-sided...), now in Discovery we have Klingons using cloaks that they won't be seen using again until the third movie as well.

This is why prequels are so problematic in this universe...

Ahh but what really ruined it was first contact ruining the timeline and keeping Borg components.

Enterprise had to work with a that, they didn’t need to but still. Won’t even bother trying to unravel the time war, such a mess.

Caporegime
I was expecting some sort of hand crank or pump style system. She pulled the lever and that was that. Why didn’t she do that minutes ago?

Good end to the season, wonder if we’ll now get Enterprise rather than Discovery?

Caporegime
I was expecting some sort of hand crank or pump style system. She pulled the lever and that was that. Why didn’t she do that minutes ago?

Good end to the season, wonder if we’ll now get Enterprise rather than Discovery?

Next season is apparently set in the future with Discovery.,

Soldato
How come Burnham only had enough energy in her time crystal for one trip, yet she went back and set all those signals?
Exactly. Dr. Burnham had a fully charged crystal and had been jumping for a huge amount of time, yet I'm sure someone in the crew stated the new crystal would be good enough for ONE jump.

At the same time Dr Burnham could open small time holes to travel through and yet superhero iron man posing Michael opens up a zonking big wormhole for a starship to go through!

I suppose it all makes about as much sense as the Discoball flying through the wormhole when the very reason they created it has now been elimated.

Caporegime
Next season is apparently set in the future with Discovery.,

Seems awkward, it could work, as several episodes across the series’ have other ships travelling through time and being the function of those episodes. So using it for the main ship as a story, doesn’t seem too annoying.

But considering the bull in a china shop method of lore crafting, there’s no way they do it in a sensible manner.

It’s going to require a menace, it clearly won’t be the federation they’ve just saved, they can travel to any point in space, presumably have some way to send the last signal (which I assume is a part of the suspense)... the dominion is ruined, Borg in disarray.

Assuming literally nothing changes between the three main powers, and the 50k distance from the alpha quadrant, that puts them in uncharted space nearby the Borg remnants if they have some how recovered at all.

So, clean slate it is with some sprinkled fan service. I also have no idea what they expect to do with her mother’s mission, as presuming she has to do all that work again, they can’t interfere?

Soldato
i suppose it all makes about as much sense as the Discoball flying through the wormhole when the very reason they created it has now been elimated.

This is explained when Spock was being interviewed. They (supposedly) had to get rid of discovery and all knowledge of it and the crew and the spore drive in order to avoid that situation from ever reoccurring. Bit of a cop out but there you go.

Back
Top Bottom