New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
I just feel that Picard was, well when you look at the high points in TNG, I just think Picard was a lot of nostalgia and didn't really live up to the hype, or the character, and the whole Data/Picard/Android body thing was well, felt like it cheapened Picard imho..

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I just feel that Picard was, well when you look at the high points in TNG, I just think Picard was a lot of nostalgia and didn't really live up to the hype, or the character, and the whole Data/Picard/Android body thing was well, felt like it cheapened Picard imho..

I agree that the nostalgia elements wrote cheques that other elements of the series couldn't cash - weakly conceived and written bad guys, occasional pacing issues, irritating habit of killing characters for 'drama', under-use of a main character (Elnor) approaching the level of Travis Mayweather (helmsman in Star Trek: Enterprise). But the people who claim that it's worse than Discovery really need professional help IMO :p It has had way more things to redeem it in ten episodes than STD has had in two seasons, and by far and away fewer things to make your teeth itch.

Again, for @james.miller - solely my opinion, YMMV, and all that good stuff :p

Associate

Ahh, I get you.
I thought you meant Picard in TNG was a waste..... I was like "Eh?!"

Soldato
But the people who claim that it's worse than Discovery really need professional help IMO :p.

I think people just need something to hate, or it doesn't live up to the comparisons with his original character in TNG, or something. There are people who can't see anything in B5 and when you question them they've never gotten past the first series or even the pilot episode, I just have to pity them honestly because they're blind.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
CBS prevailed in their copyright bunfight with a videogame maker.

A story arc about a giant tardigrade in “Star Trek: Discovery” didn’t infringe a copyright in an unreleased video game that also featured a giant tardigrade, the Second Circuit affirmed Monday.

Many elements of the work that CBS Broadcasting Corp. and Netflix Corp. allegedly infringed covered uncopyrightable scientific facts and ideas about tardigrades, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit said.

Soldato
Kinda wish they lost as it was such a stupid plot of how a bug had access to the universe and helped with a stupid spore drive which span like a joke to go far distances. That should never have been a thing.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Kinda wish they lost as it was such a stupid plot of how a bug had access to the universe and helped with a stupid spore drive which span like a joke to go far distances. That should never have been a thing.

Long since too late by the time the lawsuits started. As I've said before, the Super Secret Spore Drive™ might vaguely work as a plot device in a post-TNG timeline. It didn't work pre-TOS, because we knew it couldn't survive long-term due to it not being around on Kirk's Enterprise. It was always going to have to be written out of that timeframe. That they chose the cheapest, lousiest cop-out to write it out makes it even more unforgivable.

Anyway, on a less 'this all sucks' note - happy birthday to the Great Bird of the Galaxy :) Gene Roddenberry would've been 99 today.

Soldato
Pressure for what though?

IIRC, she made a statement on the day that Lower Decks came out and started this "40 weeks of Trek". It was basically how her top priority was to figure out how to reboot Trek and bring it back to it's core or somesuch. This is pretty much a slap in the face for Alex Kurtzman, and being interpreted as she's pushing to have a big reorganisation of Trek given that Kurtzman is three-for-three for dud Trek shows that have lost a lot of audience very quickly, and isn't helping CBS streaming service.

She basically sounds like she wants to figure out how to make Trek shows that are entertaining Trek, rather than (to quote Kurtzman) a "platform" for their agenda of the day. I believe the full Kurtzman quote from that recent online-Comicon panel was "The goal is not to promote Star Trek but to use our platform to promote BLM and NAACP".

Soldato

What he actually said. Skip to 2:10

Alex Kurtzman said:
...are critical right now, uh, Black Lives Matter, the NAACP, uh, a lot of our cast speaking to that, Star Trek speaking to it, um, the goal is not really to promote Star Trek, but to promote these organisations and to use our platform to be able to bring greater awareness to these very, very important messages and places.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
So, in fact, not quite what you quoted ;)

Though, you're absolutely right to be up in arms. How very dare they use a platform seen worldwide to bring awareness to important issues? That's not what art and media are for at all.

b2ruHRd.gif

:p

Soldato
So, in fact, not quite what you quoted ;)

Nor you, hence my direct quote from the Comic-Con panel.

Though, you're absolutely right to be up in arms. How very dare they use a platform seen worldwide to bring awareness to important issues? That's not what art and media are for at all.

:p

I didn't say I was up in arms, I related what was said and how Emma Watts was publicly making statements about resetting Trek. I really don't care what they do with Trek, as long as it's good, and we've yet to see that from Kurtzman.

What happened to good entertainment, without the patronizing lectures? Good dialogue and characters, without divisive identity politics being shoe-horned in at the expense of story? Given the severe tanking of viewing figures of all three Kurtzman Trek projects, it seems a lot of people feel that way. Now we've got studio executives talking about resetting Trek right when the newest project launches. That timing is significant.

There's only so many chances Kurtzman gets to fail before he's replaced.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Nor you, hence my direct quote from the Comic-Con panel.

To be honest, I Googled 'kurtzman naacp blm' and that tweet was what came up.

I didn't say I was up in arms

Oh, Lord forbid that I use a little hyperbole to hang lampshades ;)

I related what was said and how Emma Watts was publicly making statements about resetting Trek. I really don't care what they do with Trek, as long as it's good, and we've yet to see that from Kurtzman.

Is that what Emma Watts has said though? From what I've read, she was talking about the movie side of things more than the TV side. I'll defer to anyone with greater knowledge.

What happened to good entertainment, without the patronizing lectures? Good dialogue and characters, without divisive identity politics being shoe-horned in at the expense of story?

The talent pool of exceptional sci-fi writers willing to work on TV diminished. When you used to have people like Sam Peeples, Robert Bloch, DC Fontana, John Meredyth Lucas, Norman Spinrad, David Gerrold, Harlan ******* Ellison...

Honestly, CBS should pay some of the better Trek novelists to come in and save them. People like Christopher L Bennett, Stephani Perry, the Dianes (Duane and Carey), Peter David, Judy & Gar Reeves-Steves, John Vornholt, Michael Jan Friedman. People who can actually write Star Trek.

Given the severe tanking of viewing figures of all three Kurtzman Trek projects, it seems a lot of people feel that way. Now we've got studio executives talking about resetting Trek right when the newest project launches. That timing is significant.

There's only so many chances Kurtzman gets to fail before he's replaced.

Yeah, I'm really not about to defend Kurtzman at all. I'm not a fan of a lot of the decisions made in the new Trek movies (I outright despise Into Darkness), I think STD has had only one truly good episode in two seasons so far (ironically one which a lot of current Trek fandom doesn't like, go figure!) and think the Picard series could have been better. But I do think that a good portion of Trek fandom makes way too much of the "divisive identity politics being shoe-horned in" deal.

Take STD. What was a major gripe for a lot of people¹, was it the hamfisted telegraphing of plot twists? The lousy acting? The continuity issues, both with itself and with the rest of Trek? The deeply uninteresting characters who were being crowded out of the screen by the focus on Bonehead?

Nope. "Gay characters in a visible relationship, ugh, that's tokenism!!!111oneonetwo" :rolleyes::p

And I wouldn't mind (NARRATOR: yes, he would) but that relationship between Culber and Stamets was easily more believable and better realised on-screen than the one between TylerVoq and Bonehead :D

¹ - not necessarily talking about anyone on here with that, but it's certainly been a thing in many corners of fandom this last few years. They'll skip right on by serious structural issues with the show to focus on what they perceive to be pushing The Gay Agenda™ (dun dun DUUUNNNN!!!).

Soldato
Honestly, CBS should pay some of the better Trek novelists to come in and save them. People like Christopher L Bennett, Stephani Perry, the Dianes (Duane and Carey), Peter David, Judy & Gar Reeves-Steves, John Vornholt, Michael Jan Friedman. People who can actually write Star Trek.

^^^This

I get the whole, "Star Trek has always been a platform for the times" stuff, but it has to flow, you can't have every single show, or episode making things about race or sexuality and shoehorn "matters" it in like it actually matters, these people are meant to be smart AF and capable of being where they are at the ranks that they are, not just there because they're gay or black or whatever and theres a "box" that needs ticking..

Soldato
at this point, I'd have Rick Berman back

This is star trek, anythings possible

Just have Picard coming out of the Nexus and pretend the last year never happened. You could even have Shatner walk out as well and pretend Discovery never happened

Fresh start!

:edit: actually, that's a brilliant idea as you could wipe out the last TNG movies as well

Back
Top Bottom