New Top Gear (2011) BBC 2 8PM!

I was wondering what May would have chosen, something a little bit petrol-heady but not quite as mental as the CL and 850?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that CL the one with the biodegradable wiring loom that er, biodegrades a little bit quicker than intended?

I can imagine in 2 weeks when they do the update that Clarkson has had to re-do the air suspension and the electrics but Hammond has had to fix his pop-up lights (due to playing with it too much :D)

They always do challenges together though? Seemed a bit lacking with 2 cars.

Why watch if you are unhappy with the program?

Seriously. I cant believe what people are complaining about.

That segment could have been at least 5 minutes longer.

Really? Why? Are you a production team member of a successful motoring programme? Would that extra 5 minutes have made your life significantly better? Do you care that much? If so why not write into the producers, and give them your handy insight into how the program should be made?

Either that, or just stop watching it if you always find something to complain about.

Why cant people just let their minds relax, and be entertained by Top Gear? Why do so so so many people in this thread slate it, berate it, pretend they could do better if it was their own program, and STILL proceed to watch it week in week out?

Christ, I watch 5th gear and thats scraping the barrel, but I dont complain at every tiny thing. I just let my mind relax, and enjoy the CARS they have on, and leave it at that.

Some people.... Im sure these Top Gear moaners are the same sorts of people that would drive back to a supermarket to complain that they found a broken biscuit in their packet of Ginger nuts or something totally ludicrous.

Sure, there are moments in TG when I think "oh dear" or "hmm, hardly funny", but I dont let it affect my life, and I dont start losing sleep and become obsessed to the point where I am analysing every segment of every episode on a forum online.

Last edited:
but I dont let it affect my life, and I dont start losing sleep and become obsessed to the point where I am analysing every segment of every episode on a forum online.

Implying that any one who has criticisms of particular aspects of segments on Top Gear is losing sleep over it and letting it affect their life. As opposed to railing on people who may harbour criticisms of particular aspects of a car show...

Anyway, to the show. It's the first show this series I haven't skipped a segment when watching. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I dont let it affect my life, and I dont start losing sleep and become obsessed to the point where I am analysing every segment of every episode on a forum online.

...but you do seem to jump in with 2 feet on other peoples more than innocent comments, and have a right old rant yourself? :p

After last nights episode, I actually like Vettel now. Dammit :(

Why watch if you are unhappy with the program?

Seriously. I cant believe what people are complaining about.

Really? Why? Are you a production team member of a successful motoring programme? Would that extra 5 minutes have made your life significantly better? Do you care that much? If so why not write into the producers, and give them your handy insight into how the program should be made?

Either that, or just stop watching it if you always find something to complain about.

Why cant people just let their minds relax, and be entertained by Top Gear? Why do so so so many people in this thread slate it, berate it, pretend they could do better if it was their own program, and STILL proceed to watch it week in week out?

Christ, I watch 5th gear and thats scraping the barrel, but I dont complain at every tiny thing. I just let my mind relax, and enjoy the CARS they have on, and leave it at that.

Some people.... Im sure these Top Gear moaners are the same sorts of people that would drive back to a supermarket to complain that they found a broken biscuit in their packet of Ginger nuts or something totally ludicrous.

Sure, there are moments in TG when I think "oh dear" or "hmm, hardly funny", but I dont let it affect my life, and I dont start losing sleep and become obsessed to the point where I am analysing every segment of every episode on a forum online.

Like losing sleep as in moaning about coming on the forum analysing others' post at 5am in the morning?

On the same logic, Why moan about my post when you have a problem with it? jeez!

I wanted it longer because it was good. I dont need to be a member of the production team, it is a personal preference, like I wanted to wear a black tie today with my white shirt. Its call choice, its call opinion. It's how I felt, deal with it.

Last edited:
Some people have some strange ideas about car maintenance. Perhaps they are the sort that get scared by replacing windscreen wipers or go to the main dealer to change their floor mats.... lol.

If this ABC suspension is as fancy as it sounds, then it's likely not the sort of thing you're going to be able to fix without some serious kit in your garage...

Nevertheless, I agree with the wider sentiment, that the point of the exercise is purchase price, not running costs. When Hammond rolled up in the Bentley they made the point that repair costs for that would be astronomical, and then led into the issue of what you could buy for £7k, but they didn't at that point dismiss the issue of high running/repair costs, so I don't think they're being swept off the table in the way that some people appear to think they are.

Great episode.

I do wish they had someone like Plato or Needell to test the supercars though. Their comparison of the McLaren and 458 was much better.

If this ABC suspension is as fancy as it sounds, then it's likely not the sort of thing you're going to be able to fix without some serious kit in your garage...

Nevertheless, I agree with the wider sentiment, that the point of the exercise is purchase price, not running costs. When Hammond rolled up in the Bentley they made the point that repair costs for that would be astronomical, and then led into the issue of what you could buy for £7k, but they didn't at that point dismiss the issue of high running/repair costs, so I don't think they're being swept off the table in the way that some people appear to think they are.

My friends dad had this car. The air pump went.

£2k germany only part at the time (3-4 years ago). Total bill was over £4k...

Oh and they RUST like hell for some reason. Although that is covered by MB corrosion warranty :)

Loved it last night, all of it. I too wanted to hate Vettel, but i just can't, my opinion has changed from last nights ep, he's funny and has a gsoh, is it wrong to like all the drivers from Mclaren and red bull lol!

I really like that Evoque too, nice interior and not a bad price either,was the model James driving £42k fully loaded and starting at £28k. Either way, a very capable car.

That 7k section too, i loved that Cl600, if i was in a position to be able to buy one i would, then if the ABC or other expensive thing went wrong, i'd sell it and buy another one, then another one, 3 x V12 £160k cars for less than a new Audi A4*. A private plate and joe public would not be able to tell it was a 9 yr old car, i was behind a CL500 today and it looked no older than 2005/2006. Still very modern looking imo.

*Obviously, you have to take into account running costs, petrol and servicing costs too though.

Well, if you are minted an thought "hmmmmm, I wonder what X car is like to drive?"

Buy that car, like that bentley or CL 600 for £7k, drive it until something expensive breaks. It could be 6 months before that happens, not bad for some V12 fun!

My bro bought a mint condition Jaguar Sovereign 4.0 v8 a few years ago for £500. He had it for a little over 6 Months with no running costs besides fuel. I'd spend that kind of money on something but not £7K.

We have a real love in with the Germans at the moment.

Giving them Train contracts, the fact we love Boris Becker, and Seb Vettel.

I didnt want to like him either, but its EXACTLY the same as the David Haye Vladimir Klitcshko situation.......

David Haye and Lewis Hamilton both come across as really rather nasty people, whereas both Seb Vettel and Klitcshko came across as true gentlemen, funny, dignified, intelligent, and very very likeable.

My opinion of the lad has changed totally now. He is in no way arrogant and is just enjoying being at the top, and you can tell he loves it as he always has a smile on his face regardless of the result that he gets at the end of the race.

I'm liking German people and Germany more and more. I think I would like to go and live there, as I was in Cologne and Frankfurt and Leverkusen recently, and I loved every single minute of it. Everyone was so polite and friendly. (In the unique German way that is though!!!!)

Some genuine laughs from that episode.

"A flap at the back that comes up under braking so you cannot see who is about to run into the back of you"

"More of a jolt driving a Rolls Royce over a Jaffa cake"

:D

Back
Top Bottom