New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
OP
Anyone driven one yet?

I managed to get an invite to drive one last weekend. It's fair to say it's left a real impression on me. Took it over part of the Cat and Fiddle which gave it ample opportunity to show off the agility and power of the platform.

Pros

Very quick - absolutely wasn't left wanting for more power on the first drive. Drivetrain is superb and I'm hearing that 600bhp is within Toyota's 'safe' margins for tuning on a stock block.
Gearbox is good, didn't miss not having a manual, in sport mode with the GPS assist I didn't even worry about the paddles. Several times I thought to myself I'd be going for 2nd here and the box downshifted almost telepathically.
Massive amounts of grip, but playful enough to kick a bit of tail if you provoke it.
Soft enough to work on UK roads, even in sport mode.
Looks in the flesh - far better than on photos.
Premium feel inside for obvious reasons.
HUD was actually very clear and not at all distracting.

Cons

Noise, or rather the lack of it. Could hardly hear the pops and bangs and the synthesised rubbish coming through the speakers needs disabling. Very faintly hear some turbo whoosh.
No impression of speed. Due to all the isolation you find yourself going significantly faster than you expect.
Brakes felt a touch over assisted.
Price. It's a hell of a lot of car and I love it - but ~£56k? Be interesting to see how the residuals are after 6 months.

OcUK Staff
Anyone driven one yet?

I managed to get an invite to drive one last weekend. It's fair to say it's left a real impression on me. Took it over part of the Cat and Fiddle which gave it ample opportunity to show off the agility and power of the platform.

Pros

Very quick - absolutely wasn't left wanting for more power on the first drive. Drivetrain is superb and I'm hearing that 600bhp is within Toyota's 'safe' margins for tuning on a stock block.
Gearbox is good, didn't miss not having a manual, in sport mode with the GPS assist I didn't even worry about the paddles. Several times I thought to myself I'd be going for 2nd here and the box downshifted almost telepathically.
Massive amounts of grip, but playful enough to kick a bit of tail if you provoke it.
Soft enough to work on UK roads, even in sport mode.
Looks in the flesh - far better than on photos.
Premium feel inside for obvious reasons.
HUD was actually very clear and not at all distracting.

Cons

Noise, or rather the lack of it. Could hardly hear the pops and bangs and the synthesised rubbish coming through the speakers needs disabling. Very faintly hear some turbo whoosh.
No impression of speed. Due to all the isolation you find yourself going significantly faster than you expect.
Brakes felt a touch over assisted.
Price. It's a hell of a lot of car and I love it - but ~£56k? Be interesting to see how the residuals are after 6 months.

They are awesome cars and though we should not compare new to used, the same money will get you a cracking F-Type R AWD or if you push the funds to around 60k you might be able to get yourself into an SVR and though I've not driven the Supra what I can say is the F-Type AWD V8 platform is very fast and very well suited to UK roads in all weathers. Or new VS new comparison an MY19 Mustang V8 or a Mustang V8 Bullit. Where the Supra wins is it weighs less, I believe its a circa 1500kg car, whereas a Mustang is around 1700kg and the F-Types are around 1750kg.

Soldato
OP
They are awesome cars and though we should not compare new to used, the same money will get you a cracking F-Type R AWD or if you push the funds to around 60k you might be able to get yourself into an SVR and though I've not driven the Supra what I can say is the F-Type AWD V8 platform is very fast and very well suited to UK roads in all weathers. Or new VS new comparison an MY19 Mustang V8 or a Mustang V8 Bullit. Where the Supra wins is it weighs less, I believe its a circa 1500kg car, whereas a Mustang is around 1700kg and the F-Types are around 1750kg.

Guy who was there test driving was in that very predicament - F Type or Supra. Not sure which way he's leaning as yet, time will tell I guess. Mustang is an interesting shout, not sure if they'll be able to match the raw pace though since as you say the Supra weighs a fair bit less. I think the 1500kg figure is similar to the power output being 'only' 335 on paper. I think Toyota are telling porkies to keep insurance ratings down!

OcUK Staff
Guy who was there test driving was in that very predicament - F Type or Supra. Not sure which way he's leaning as yet, time will tell I guess. Mustang is an interesting shout, not sure if they'll be able to match the raw pace though since as you say the Supra weighs a fair bit less. I think the 1500kg figure is similar to the power output being 'only' 335 on paper. I think Toyota are telling porkies to keep insurance ratings down!

Yeah true, a Mustang takes a very skilled driver to pedal fast, whereas the Supra's performance will be a lot more accessible due to better chassis and of course the ZF8 is a very good automatic. The handling dynamic of the Supra should also outshine the Mustang and even the F-Type also.

Caporegime
Yeah true, a Mustang takes a very skilled driver to pedal fast, whereas the Supra's performance will be a lot more accessible due to better chassis and of course the ZF8 is a very good automatic. The handling dynamic of the Supra should also outshine the Mustang and even the F-Type also.

It is almost as if the roles have changed. The Mustang is the tuner car now :p.

Soldato
But how is it compared to a gt86 with a supercharger mod on it?

It seems like a great car, but 55k? I still don't think I could do it...

Soldato
Well yea, it's over double the price. If I was spending 100k on a car I'd expect it to be nicer than the Supra :p

But I'm not all that fussed about a fancy interior, not if it means adding loads of extra weight. Weight is what kills the agility of a car. I'd daily a classic Elise if I didn't need some boot space :D

Soldato
Saw one today whilst looking around in a Toyota dealership.
Probably great fun but I expect a lot more from the styling. They're are fugly as sin.
If I had the money it would out me of considering one.
Oddily they look really nice in photos.

Soldato
Done 850 miles so far in mine.

A nice nice place to be, even though I’m not a fan of the million and one options of the BMW infotainment. Interior is well made but the instrument cluster is the star for me.

Looks great. Plenty of go, brutally fast because of the huge torque dump. Does need more noise as typical for a stock car, it sounds restricted. However you do get some nice crackles from the rear occasionally.

Very good on fuel actually, making over 30mpg even when giving it beans.

49537942232_71510db3c9_b.jpg

49537806296_4e52eb1bf9_b.jpg

49538031367_41c246913a_b.jpg

49537803086_3e55eea6ee_b.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Lovely colour! I've driven the new Z4 and did not like it very much (seemed more like a GT car rather than a sports car), but from reviews the Supra seems to tick more buttons as it is more focused.

Soldato
Quiet exhausts are a thing now, noise limits are tighter than they used to be. A lot of new sporty cars make some noise, but there is no depth to it at all :(

Soldato
Quiet exhausts are a thing now, noise limits are tighter than they used to be. A lot of new sporty cars make some noise, but there is no depth to it at all :(

This is in part due to the increasingly common fitment of GPFs (Gasoline Particulate Filters, for those who haven't encountered them); the restrictions over exhaust noise are often quite tight at lower speeds but less at higher speeds (in my understanding) – as long as the OEM can pass idle and drive-by tests, all should be well.

Take a modern turbocharged car; with a few tricks it can make a good noise at the right points, but the turbo and emissions systems will naturally take a fair bit of volume out of it. Sling a GPF on it and it gets quieter everywhere (and often in undesirable ways, too).

Soldato
Done 850 miles so far in mine.

A nice nice place to be, even though I’m not a fan of the million and one options of the BMW infotainment. Interior is well made but the instrument cluster is the star for me.

Looks great. Plenty of go, brutally fast because of the huge torque dump. Does need more noise as typical for a stock car, it sounds restricted. However you do get some nice crackles from the rear occasionally.

Very good on fuel actually, making over 30mpg even when giving it beans.

where's the front number plate?

Back
Top Bottom