New World MMO

Caporegime
modern mmos are mostly terrible because they try to capture a wide audience and mainstream appeal since WOW managed it everyone wants it.

every modern mmo has been so similar, go back to niche mmos please...

I still play eve-online and that game is almost starting to make a come back with player numbers online.
https://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility
click "all" time on the graph :O

All smacks to me of more of this watering down of the term MMO, where so many games these days say they are MMOs when they are far from MMOs
I remember when world of tanks got an MMO award.

its a standard online game with a global chat server

it's like claiming counterstrike or quake were MMOs in my opinion they weren't

WOT = battle arena

Associate
modern mmos are mostly terrible because they try to capture a wide audience and mainstream appeal since WOW managed it everyone wants it.

every modern mmo has been so similar, go back to niche mmos please...

I

Agreed, will certainly try the public beta of NW although expecting a very simalar please everyone trend, there are a few MMO's that are going back to the routes where reward vs risk and community play matters, Pantheon rise of the fallen being one I have the highest hopes.
I guess it comes at a cost where niche normally means small development team and not AAA funded which results in the development cycle being at least double the time and is never guaranteed.

Associate
I read that a few months before the (original pre-covid19) release date they decided to completely change the style of the game from a fully open world pvp intensive game to a controlled, arranged pvp only game. Sounds like an absolutely terrible decision as from what I've been reading there isn't much in the way of pve content to replace it.

Associate
Been playing EverQuest on Mangler TLP the last year, got a EU guild there doing progression raids.

DPG recently made all TLPs free to play on til 8th May so theres a lot of people returning.

Its an old game, 20 years old but still the best Mmorpg out there

Soldato
I read that a few months before the (original pre-covid19) release date they decided to completely change the style of the game from a fully open world pvp intensive game to a controlled, arranged pvp only game. Sounds like an absolutely terrible decision as from what I've been reading there isn't much in the way of pve content to replace it.

They changed it because people didn't want a fully open World PVP game. I havent followed it that closely but the YT stuff has been pretty positive recently after they hammered the game early on.

Associate
Not sure about this. I'll give it a try. Going to give Final fantasy a try too but I think ashes of creation will be worth waiting for

Gave up on eve but I still have 2 characters. I hope they got rid of that woman that was in charge. Things went downhill with her at the helm.

Associate
You can only turn PVP on and off in the towns. Much like WoW does it these days. You do get more XP and such for being PVP tagged still I believe. And there are missions that are PVP only, with better rewards.

Caporegime
You can only turn PVP on and off in the towns. Much like WoW does it these days. You do get more XP and such for being PVP tagged still I believe. And there are missions that are PVP only, with better rewards.
they should do it so all quests give a higher reward if your pvp flagged from accepting to finishing the quest :D

or higher loot drops if you have pvp enabled

Caporegime
What concerns me is will this be a simple graphical lick of paint over base MMO mechanics and therefore all done many times before? Is there much they can do to improve player experience? Will the early game still be filled with ‘mindlessly slaughter x number of critters for someone in the village who can’t be bothered. And already has 1.2 million critter carcasses stinking up his basement’? I fear this will be cookie cutter MMORPG and therefore boring.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It's the genre, cookie cutter is what it is. Unless it's EVE in which case you have the same people playing since 2003 it's impossible to get into as a new player. But EVE is a special case.

The world needs more sub based MMOs that do not fall foul of the content rushers and the game destroying PVP players.

Associate
What concerns me is will this be a simple graphical lick of paint over base MMO mechanics and therefore all done many times before? Is there much they can do to improve player experience? Will the early game still be filled with ‘mindlessly slaughter x number of critters for someone in the village who can’t be bothered. And already has 1.2 million critter carcasses stinking up his basement’? I fear this will be cookie cutter MMORPG and therefore boring.

Every material you need from start to finish is needed for crafting. So even the basic materials are still needed for high-end crafting. You will be going all over the map to farm items. The crafting system is very deep. And you can take on as many gathering and crafting skills as you like.

The one thing I would have liked to have been added to the game is mounts. But I guess that would have been detrimental to the PvP experience.

You can't sell items to vendors. You can only sell on the auction houses and each one is separate in each town. That is the same for storage also.

And you do have to kill loads of stuff still, yes. :) But the combat is kind of souls like. So skill comes into play a lot more than just having the best gear in the game.

As I have mentioned above. Buy it on Steam and you can try the game out for 2 weeks in the closed beta. And if you dislike it you can then just refund.

Back
Top Bottom