New World MMO

Man of Honour
There was a tweet yesterday about pre-load - https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1440857004034039809

"You can get yourself ready to #playnewworld by pre-downloading the launch client starting 9/27 at 8 AM PT (11 AM ET)!"

The offical site has announced launch times as well:

8AM CEST EU Servers will launch (9/27 at 11pm PT)

8AM BRT South American Servers will launch (9/28 4am PT)

9PM AEST Australian Servers will launch (9/28 4am PT*)

8AM ET NA East Coast Server will launch (9/28 at 5am PT)

8AM PT NA West Coast Servers will launch

There's potential that EU servers will get swamped as people try and reserve names because some people suggest naming was a global thing although I can't confirm that (It's at least going to be unique for each cluster because of expected server merges which was tested in Closed Beta)

If names are a global thing then that is some of the most insanely naive never played an MMO before in our lives, design right there. If they are global then the first servers to come up will just be absolutely flooded with players from the other times zones trying to secure their names. The names simply must be zonal or even more preferable server based, I mean literally any apprenticeship game designer with any nous at all about MMOs would know that.

Associate
There appears to be further confusion in that some Amazon reps have stated names are region locked.........

i.e players from NA for instance, logging into an EU server at 2AM to grab their preferred name and then redoing the char on an NA server later could find themselves stuck playing on an EU server or losing the name anyway - this would also of course prevent an EU player from taking that name.

Its a bit of a mess which I would imagine will be clarified/sorted before launch.

Man of Honour
Associate
Absolutely idiotic that they were even global in the first place, how dumb/naive/lacking experience do they have to be to even think that having global names on a staggered release was a good idea for an MMO.

There’s a simple solution as well, just have hidden #…. Numbers after a name. There is little chance the EU servers will be playable on launch now.

Man of Honour
There’s a simple solution as well, just have hidden #…. Numbers after a name. There is little chance the EU servers will be playable on launch now.

Yeah it baffles me, there are so many ways to do this right, none of them require a masters degree in game design, none of them require 40 years of MMO development experience, its just blindly bloody obvious that you dont design an MMO with global names and a staggered release because MMO players who have been playing MMOs for many years have character names or guild names that they are known by and will want to secure them and will all jump on the first available server to make sure that they can get the character name or guild name that they've used for years. You've just got to be the dumbest devs or be totally ignorant of the genre to not know that.

1) Hidden identifiers
2) Global release time with global names
3) Staggered release time with Server based names
4) Staggered release time with Regional based names

Any of those methods would work, to use the often used cliche, it really isnt rocket science.

Man of Honour
Cracks me up how a character name is so important to people, just stick a few numbers on the end.

I can understand it tbh, for example, I have roleplayed my character with the same character name for 24 years in MMOs and for 10 years before that in pen and paper RPGs, so my character name is quite important to me , in addition to that its not only character names its guild names too, some guilds (like the guild I am in) has been going in MMOs for 22 years, always with the same name, its become our guild identities, other guilds and players recognise the guildname and so on, so again its quite important to the members of the guild. Its like an online identity which they've had for many many years , it would be like saying to a major streamer , hey you can carry on streaming but you cant use that name anymore that youve been using and by which you are known.

And thats not even factoring in that the entire issue is easily avoided if only the devs had the slightest idea of how MMOs work but they quite clearly dont.

Back
Top Bottom