New World MMO

Man of Honour
How does this compare to GW2? (my go-to MMO at present).

Right now, GW2 has more variety in classes, more variety in mobs, more mounts, more quests, more dungeons, more zones (and variety of zones), more verticality in zone design, more large scale events, you can swim and there are large underwater areas (you cant swim at all in New World not even just on the surface), more story and lore, more minigames and content generally and better (imo) PvP. Over time, and providing that New World maintains a decent sized playerbase, New World may add in that stuff but currently its less of pretty much everything that GW2 has. However, if you have been playing GW2 for a long time and are a little burned out on it and looking for something new to play then New World does at least have the fact that its shiny and new.

I'm still unsure about this game. At first I really didn't like it, the story in particular is just so dull, but it did grow on me to some degree.

I may keep it and stick with it, however I've never really played an mmo other than lotro and sw tor with my brother, and that was limited any way.

Do games like this work when playing on your own?

Caporegime
Do games like this work when playing on your own?
probably not unless you go in with the idea of making friends.

if you want a more solo friendly MMO probably FFXIV or WOW.

FFXIV has the most players right now I think, loads of people abandoned WOW

FFXIV is pretty much a single player FF game for the story, it's a very story centric MMO with tons of cutscenes but outside of the story there's a boatload of content and everything is pretty much still relevant

Soldato
My thoughts on the beta

* graphics are good
* performance is terrible
* controls are terrible

Controls on both keyboard and mouse are very laggy - there is almost 2 second delay after tapping the W key to the animation for walking to end. Aiming with the mouse feels like it was designed for a Xbox controller. Was this game intended for consoles?

Performance: I've got a overclocked rtx3090, overclocked 5950x and overclocked ram. Surely that should be good enough for a high frame rate? When I entered the first town/city on the map I got 39fps, yes 39, and the graphics card looked like it was almost idling - so the game is incredibly CPU bottlenecked and after checking task manager it's not well threaded either - one of the cores was at 100% usage so the game is CPU bottlenecked on 1 core oh yeah great game design - maybe it will be playable in 5 years after we get faster CPus

Associate
My thoughts on the beta

* graphics are good
* performance is terrible
* controls are terrible

Controls on both keyboard and mouse are very laggy - there is almost 2 second delay after tapping the W key to the animation for walking to end. Aiming with the mouse feels like it was designed for a Xbox controller. Was this game intended for consoles?

Performance: I've got a overclocked rtx3090, overclocked 5950x and overclocked ram. Surely that should be good enough for a high frame rate? When I entered the first town/city on the map I got 39fps, yes 39, and the graphics card looked like it was almost idling - so the game is incredibly CPU bottlenecked and after checking task manager it's not well threaded either - one of the cores was at 100% usage so the game is CPU bottlenecked on 1 core oh yeah great game design - maybe it will be playable in 5 years after we get faster CPus

I get a steady 60fps on a r5 3600 and a 5600xt in 1080p gpu usage about 70% and cpu about 40

Associate
There is something very strange going on with the performance tbh. People with 5900x and 3090s are getting worse performance than my 5600x and 6700xt.

Soldato
Spent about 2-3 hours playing yesterday and have very mixed feelings. Will not be getting this at launch but hoping to be including with Primer membership eventually, perhaps I will give it another go then.

Soldato
I only played two hours of this open beta as I really don't like to play pre-release, but thought i'd give it a quick try to see if it was worth a buy - I think overall initial impressions, I will probably buy it. My days of being competitive/fast paced are gone - this looks like it's got some fun elements and I quite enjoyed the combat/pace so far, plus I like the grinding for crafting materials.

Associate
There is something very strange going on with the performance tbh. People with 5900x and 3090s are getting worse performance than my 5600x and 6700xt.

5800X with RTX3090 here. I get mostly 60FPS but it did drop to mid 40's in some areas. That's at 5120 x 1440. So performance was pretty good for me. I think it's important to mention that is a beta so it's going to get optimised.

The game itself was enjoyable. I only got to level 13 over the weekend and quests were pretty much go here and kill / collect something and then come back. That's fine if it's just breaking you in as a player. Ideally I would want something more in depth than that in the long term - some longer quests or some dungeons rather than fetch quests. Whether it will get boring after a while I don't know but I think i'll buy it.

Associate
Upgraded mobo/cpu and ram just before the open beta so didn't mess with graphics settings much but at 1440p with everything high my 5600x (stock) with an AMD 5700 (with minor overclock) was hitting 90-100fps outside and 60-70fps in towns, although I didn't come across any super busy towns which may contribute to performance issues.

Soldato
So looks like release date is confirmed for 28th. One of the youtube vids was saying the pvp scaling tuning will be changed as well, they tested one extreme to the other from closed to open beta and should go live somewhere in-between

Back
Top Bottom