New World MMO

Soldato
I thought amazon billed straight away??

Snip from my email...

"Thank you for shopping with us. We'll send a confirmation and your Steam code when your item has been released and is available for download. You will not be charged until your item is released. To view your order or make changes to it..."

It also tells you that once you purchase it that you've not been charged iirc

Soldato
Most people seem to be enjoying it, Mack likes to be different.

Mack got seriously addicted to World of Warcraft for years after his Mack and Mesh videos, it's a little bit hard to take this as a balanced first impression when he was talking about how it wasn't WoW with 20 abilities and the combat being different to what he liked.

For a fair MMO review you really need to play to whole game and try some of the end game content, you need to give the systems in New World a fair chance.

Soldato
I tried to like it. PVE feels like it's been tacked on. The faction notice board keeps giving me the same quests. Standard fetch missions. Nothing fresh.

The graphics and UI are nice. Everything else feels slow and grindy. No story. Refunded sadly.

Man of Honour
For a fair MMO review you really need to play to whole game and try some of the end game content, you need to give the systems in New World a fair chance.

I suppose thats one of the drawbacks of MMOs , by the time you've invested 100 hours playing the whole game and doing some of the end content, its then too late to decide that its actually not very good, as you've then spent 100 hours of time on it. Sort of like reading all 800 pages of a book and then deciding that it wasnt that good and you've just wasted 3 days time reading it

Permabanned
End game is secondary, the entire levelling/playing experience is generally more fun than end game. If its poor to play and level its a bad MMO.

Given various reviews and videos I have seen it looks pretty pants (the combat).

Associate
any idea what your ping is? or do you feel the latency ?
usually in mmos it's not a huge difference but with the combat system of this game it got me wondering

do amazon even bill you? I think I read somewhere you could order on amazon, get the code and cancel

I have seen a small amount of lag. But overall while in combat situations it's been fine.

I'm not sure how Amazon is handling its orders and refunds.

Edit: In-game now and have 110ms.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm enjoying it as well. Got to level 14 and still trying to figure out some of the mechanics. Had to Google how to teleport and how to get the mats for it as it wasn't really explained in the game or maybe I missed it. Performance is a bit random with over 100fps in most locations but drops down to below 50 in town and graphics card only runs at 60ish% of power.

Associate
Refunded.

just didnt like the copy/paste quests - which are just so boring after a short while.

Might have potential if Amazon allow the devs to stick with it but its very clear this was once a totally different game that changed direction. Gathering/crafting is really fleshed out in line with a survival game and as someone said above, the PVE stuff seems a very late and not very adequate, tack on.

Associate
I loved the preview last year and love this as well. I think the combat is just OK so far and the quests are very copy paste in general but the immersive world and game loop's are amazing. Very addicted to picking up all the quests in a town and going around exploring as I do them. Resource gathering which I never really got involved in in other MMO's I really like. Doing PvP faction quests knowing a child with a stick could whoop me adds a bit of spice. It's very satisfying. A 4 hour patch at the weekend though? Boo! :)

Soldato
Think this would be OK for super casual gamer?

Rarely get much time to play these days but dont' mind dipping in when it's fun, can't spend 4-6 hours playing weekdays like I did back in DAOC/WOW :D

Soldato
Mack got seriously addicted to World of Warcraft for years after his Mack and Mesh videos, it's a little bit hard to take this as a balanced first impression when he was talking about how it wasn't WoW with 20 abilities and the combat being different to what he liked.

Don’t forget, There will be a wipe once the game actually releases

Soldato
The WAB/Mack guy said so many things that were just completely wrong. Moaning about no slow/stun/burn etc....thats all in the game. There was loads of other things (forgotten now) he moaned about, but lots of what he said was just...wrong.

Associate
wow ok the game sounds pretty rubbish

It's not, it's extremely good. Between the preview and the beta I now have 75 hours of game play. I dabbled in popular MMOs over the years but this is something with enough of a paradigm shift to be refreshing enough to play. It borrows from all the good parts of traditional MMOs while radically cutting the fat to focus on fun. I like Mack and have been a subscriber since Mack and Mesh originally did their Doom series. But his first impression video was garbage, it's full of just factually incorrect things for starters such as there's no CC when in fact there's loads. But in general slams the combat system for being bad when he made no effort to learn how it works.

The simple fact is that combat is fundamentally different, it's not tab-target like WoW, it's an action combat system very much like Dark Souls but slightly more forgiving. This means combat requires finesse, you can't just spam attacks like Mack commented in his own comment section. You need to be constantly on the move, dodging and re-positioning yourself, watching for telegraphed enemy attacks so you can dodge out the way and counter attack. You can't just learn patterns of attack like in tab-target MMOs which are just rotations of abilities on global cooldown, you need to look at what the enemy is doing and respond to their actions by making your own decisions. Actions like attacks are a commitment since you're locked into attack animations. Because this makes you vulnerable if you miss, there's consequences for using them badly. When are where to attack from become consideration and that means you need to exercise attacks judiciously. Nor can you just spam dodge to counter, there's stamina management which again means counters, dodges and blocking require timing and judicial use as well.

The problem is that he's locked into 1 view of what an MMO ought to be, and he's using that lens to judge New World. This is why in the video and the comments he's so focused on the number of abilities. This is all he knows and he can't break free of that mindset. So yes there's less total abilities that can be slotted for use in combat, but the combat also introduces other things that tab-target MMOs do not have, like the importance of position, aim, timing, dodging, stamina management etc. Abilities are only some fraction of the combat, something he focuses on to the exclusion of everything else. That's why his view on this is so myopic.

Back
Top Bottom