Newbie looking for a good (was £1k) Now £2k! Gaming PC

Soldato
Could go to £1600 maybe.
That's a hell of a big bump - i would consider 1440p and a GTX 1070 (or cheap 1080) with an SSD at that price.

But you could spend ~£1250 and get a great specced 1080p setup and screen?

Which seems more palatable?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok a spec for £1250 please.

Thanks for all your help btw....:)

No worries.

The below spec can be adapted to preference/budget - especially the keyboard and mouse which is fine for general office work - but you may want to go in a few shops and try a few set out fro gaming...

Bumped the CPU to the 6 core/12 thread Ryzen 1600 - it will last you at least 5 years for gaming/general usage. Upped the GFX to a GTX 1060 which will happily play 1080p at HIGH/ULTRA settings.

I've also added an 250Gb SSD which will add an overall speed benefit that you will really appreciate and never be without once you've owned one - plus the budget/build dictates one now to a degree.

The monitor is an out-and-out gaming monitor - 144Hz, which gives a smoother gaming experience. It's also 24" in size - so keep that in mind if space is an issue...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,282.94
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Soldato
Just found this on YouTube....it doesn’t include a monitor or os though....
I've loaded up the link and will take a look - but you're going to have to remove the link as it's against forum rules to link/name competitors as the forums paid for by OcUK.

Easy mistake to make for new members so don't sweat it.

Soldato
OK, a few points:
  • You really don't need a 1700 for just gaming. The 1600 is the sweetspot and will save you £100 (or dollars - American?) and would be better put towards a better GFX card or monitor. Or even back in your pocket.
  • You need at least 3000MHz memory to make the most of RYzen - it performs better with faster memory and this is regarded as the minimum (but is enough).
  • The 1080Ti would suit 4K - but is complete overkill for 1080p. Do you want a 4K spec?
  • And the PSU isn't what i would pick for a build of that quality but would do the job.
  • Cooler isn't required unless going for larger clocks - as vanilla 1700 comes with cooler and again will hold a moderate clock.
  • Also would you prefer an full ATX board and case? - as that's listed.
I get the feeling you're veering towards a 4k build?

Associate
OP
What would your advice be?
Maybe I’m being greedy wanting a 4K gaming machine.
Do you have one?

Sorry to be a pain, but could you do a 4K one as well please!

Soldato
What would your advice be?
Maybe I’m being greedy wanting a 4K gaming machine.
Do you have one?
I have 3 x DELL IPS 1440p monitors - more for office work - but the resolution is fantastic for gaming. I certainly don't have any urge to jump to 4K (played on them - look good but not worth the premium IMO) - plus i prefer having superior FPS/smoother play and zero compromises with my settings with a GTX 1070/1080 when playing at 1440p.

Sorry to be a pain, but could you do a 4K one as well please!

Not a problem - wife is out shopping and i'm having a lazy Sunday. With my son sounding out random words from the dictionary to see if i know the meaning. The last one was 'fais-dodo' - a totally useless word...

I'll run up a 1440p spec with a great monitor. I'll leave out windows and keyboard - but keep in mind you will need to add these.

We can do a 4k one after if you still feel you have the funds...

Soldato
Two ~£1600 builds - identical apart from the cards. As the GTX 1070 is very close to some GTX 1080s prices so I've added one as an example for price purposes. (No windows or keyboard)

I've gone full ATX for the motherboard and added a quality windowed case - this build is a step up in overall quality- including SSD choice.

The monitor is an IPS 1440p G-Sync 165Hz - stunning for the money and would compliment the GTX 1070/1080 perfectly. Really is a great panel - but you may want to explore different panels depending on your want...

The Bitfenix is a quality modular PSU with a 7 year warranty to back it up. Highly recommend you get a quality PSU with the spec you're considering now...

GTX 1070 build/price:

Total: £1,623.48
(includes shipping: £23.10)

Budget GTX 1080 build:

Total: £1,673.48
(includes shipping: £23.10)

Soldato
Brilliant. Thanks again....
How easy is it to build this myself, or should I just get the professionals to do it?
It's really not that difficult - watch some YouTube tutorials to get yourself familiar with the components and how they connect.

I've guided complete novices through complete builds - 2 Ryzen builds in the last month - and both were built without any issues, including Windows install.

A link of my latest guided build if you want to read a step by step process:- Ryzen build similar spec to yours - i started the thread link at the beginning of the build.

Associate
OP
Ok brilliant. Just watched a quick video. Seems easy enough, but I remember the problems my dad had building one, although that was 20 years ago, and he didn’t have the net to help him!

Soldato
I remember the problems my dad had building one, although that was 20 years ago, and he didn’t have the net to help him!
My first build was done from a small newspaper clipping and a motherboard manual that was only half a sheet of paper. Yet the hardest part was installing Windows 3.1 and getting the drivers all to work...

When you start paying that type of money you get loads of choices with cases - they do a cheaper version of that model.

These look great in the flesh too - black or white model:

Soldato
no dvd drive?
Will you need one? All games are bought online - unless you have some old games you want to play or CD's/DVD's you want to play/burn?

I use a USB external drive now for when I need one (which is rarely) to keep the clean lines of the case. But it's easy enough to spec a case with an optical bay and add a drive if needed?

Windows for example comes on a USB stick - or you download the ISO to a bootable USB stick for install.

Associate
OP
And I watched a few pc builds and a lot seem to have a cpu cooling fan. I know is comes with one but is it worth getting another one?

Soldato
And I watched a few pc builds and a lot seem to have a cpu cooling fan. I know is comes with one but is it worth getting another one?
It's totally up to you.

If you intend on keeping things at stock, then not really - as the supplied Wraith will keep things cool and quiet.

Stock coolers have come a long way - and the supplied Wraith cooler with the Ryzen 1600 is actually a quality unit. But, there's no harm in getting a better aftermarket cooler if you wish - but you would need to spend a minimum of ~£25 to gain any benefits. For clocking benefits probably £30+ (the Hyper 212 Evo being the obvious starting point).

Do you plan on clocking the CPU?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom