Newbie needs new motherboard and case with psu

Soldato
You need a Micro ATX board - the one you've selected will not fit in the case.

The memory is quality - but the Team Group will do the same job for less money plus 16Gb is a lot for an HTPC (but i have no problem with it otherwise).

The Ryzen 1600 is fantastic CPU - perfect sweetspot for a gaming PC - but i'm aware you're building a HTPC so if funds are tight the 1500x will do the job admirably (this is just a pointer - nothing wrong with the CPU).

Quality build overall - be aware that Gigabyte have UK RMA which is why i selected them- plus you could get a GAming 3 MATX for that money and their BIOS updates are stable and frequent (as are probably MSI - but i have no recent experience with their boards. But they do have MATX boards too).

However, if this is leaning towards a gaming PC - then the Ryzen 1600 and 16Gb of memory is a solid choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've updated the motherboard for the Gaming 3 as it's more reliable and has more frequent BIOS updates (basically a better board for a few extra pounds)

I also swapped the memory for the lower profile Team Group - plus OcUK use it in all their Ryzen builds - usually a reason, reliability/compatibility being a big factor.

Otherwise it's essentially the same build as above:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £546.17
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Soldato
Just placed the order.Thank you can't wait to build it.Thank you for all your help.

No worries.

One of the first things you'll need to do is flash the MB to the latest BIOS - it's crucial for memory stability.

Prepare a USB stick with the BIOS pre-installed - format the stick using Fat 32 and then install the latest BIOS file onto it.

Once you've got the build to stage it can be booted up e.g. with 1 stick of memory, CPU, GFX only installed (no hdds etc..) enter the BIOS and check the temps are OK.

If they are then reboot press <END> key and enter the Q-Flash utility - and then follow prompts and flash the BIOS from the USB.

Then when its finished it will reboot and if all seem OK once restarted - switch off and add your extra stick.

If you get stuck post back - i'll keep subbed to the thread.

Soldato
Hello is there such a thing that allows me to game on the sofa. It's a bit tricky with a mouse and keyboard.

You can use a dongle to use a wireless xbox controller or similar - not great with some games (RTS for instance and you'll get hammered in online FPS games if the others are using keyboard and mouse).

Or you can get dedicated wireless all-in-one keyboard/mouse pad/touchpad device thingy (thinking of getting one myself). They have a keyboard, room for a conventional mouse and a keypad all on the same board - so not so cumbersome to use

Like the Corsair all-in-one Clicky.

There are smaller alternatives - the Corsair is particularly big.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dpd let me down said they tried to deliver but there was nobody in to sign which is rubbish as its a shop.Im hoping today it will be ready for collection at sainsbury.

Soldato
Dpd let me down said they tried to deliver but there was nobody in to sign which is rubbish as its a shop.Im hoping today it will be ready for collection at sainsbury.

Sorry to read that - I thought you were up and running.

Best of luck.

Associate
OP
I have front panel connected and pc turns on.gpu is installed on mother board all lights up but no picture on the tv.tried both hdmi ports.what haven't I done.pc won't boot.installed one strip of memory x

Associate
OP
Sorry I meant cpu. I have install new bios on thumb drive but I don't know if I have done it properly can you point me in the direction of a video to give me a clue.after unzipping file I'm left with 3 files which one do I move to thumb drive.

Back
Top Bottom