Newbie Vikki's AMD Phenom II x4 computer/DAW?/build thread...

By fan do you mean the fan in the PSU?
It should just be sat flat on the floor of the case so it just points out towards the outside of the case. The main use of the fan is to blow the hot air out of the PSU to keep it as cool as possible.

O.K. psu has the power inlet/switch on the back and a vent, which goes to the back of the case. On bottom of the psu there is a large fan, i take it the fan goes to the bottom of the case where the case has holes drilled to let the air through, not the fan pointing up bank?
Picture coming.....

Vikki

Last edited:
Ahhh I see! It really depends if the big fan sucks or blows :p

If it sucks it should be at the top where it can suck the hot air from the computer and blow it out the back

If it blows then it should point towards the bottom fan grill so they both blow hot air from the PSU.

The big fan should point downwards, to hoover the carpet, the 3 pin power socket for the kettle lead should point out of the back of the case (removeable panel?). This should then have all the power leads inside the case. Most PSU fans like that suck (literally) if they are above the CPU they remove hot air at the top of the case through the PSU. Fix using 4 screws through the case back.

Last edited:
We're hoovering the carpet i think, i;ve mounted it with the fan to the floor. Haven't run the psu up but will have to alter it later if its wrong.
Lucky i have 2 weeks holiday:D
Vikki:D

This is where I am at now...

Only thing I'm struggling with now is getting the drive bay blanking plates on the front, out of the case, I can't figure out how to get them out - no obvious tags, do they just clip in somehow. I'm worried about marking or breaking the front.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hmmmmmmm
Vikki

Last edited:
Push them out from inside the case....or read the instructions that come with the case?
EDIT: Your using IDE hard drives? :eek:

Last edited:
DVD drive is in and i clipped the I/O shield in the back.......

I moved the 2 HD drives from my old p4 machine, i was thinking i may buy one of the ssd drives when i get the machine going, are the ide drives going to cause a problem initially?

So is the next step to get the stand offs in place to mount the mobo. Do you usually mount the cpu and memory plus cooler on the board before screwing it in and wire afterwards?
Gee this cpu cooler is huge!
Vikki

Mother push my tea under the door!

Last edited:
I moved the 2 HD drives from my old p4 machine, i was thinking i may buy one of the ssd drives when i get the machine going, are the ide drives going to cause a problem initially?

Nope.

So is the next step to get the stand offs in place to mount the mobo. Do you usually mount the cpu and memory plus cooler on the board before screwing it in and wire afterwards?

Yep. It will be easier to do so if you do that 1st. I would be a good idea to plug the PSU connectors into the assembled mobo/CPU/Cooler/Ram in 1st & plug the on switch from the case (the lead should be long enough) & switch on before installing into the case. don't plug anything else into the assembled parts, you want to make sure that it all works before putting it into the case.

It would be a good idea to put a piece of paper under the motherboard, mark off where the holes are, then use said piece of paper to see where the standoffs go in the case.

are the ide drives going to cause a problem initially?

Gee this cpu cooler is huge!
Vikki

Mother push my tea under the door!

If you have two IDE connectors you can have four devices DVD or HDD with one connector you can have two devices.

Yes match up the board with the stand off positions and screw them in to suit, at least six if you can.

Then put the CPU, memory, CPU Cooler on the motherboard, it is easier outside the case. The CPU should just drop into the socket no force required. With the cooler in place it should not be possible to twist it relative to the board if it is correctly attached. Check that the bios reset jumper is not closed, memorise where all the connections are that you may need, DVD sound, additional USB, the power connections, power button, reset button, HDD activity LED and power LED. Connect the CPU fan before placing in the case, it is easy to forget

Lower the board in and loosely tighten the screws to the standoffs, you can go round and nip them up a bit when all is in but not too tight. You may need to lower the board and then slide it sideways to get the back ports through the I/O plate before placing screws. This will give you an idea how it all lines up.

The rest of the install is easy.

andy

Back
Top Bottom