Newcastle Utd, Official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good performance and a deserved win. Funny that the game we drop Bramble, we concede 2 goals down to poor defending. Bramble is a good defender. He has lots of attributes but loses concentration as do, it seems, other players as well.

The problem we have at the minute is simple. A lot of games, a lot of injuries to key players, more so attackers meaning goals are less likely and a little dropped confidence.

I can't believe some peoples opinions in this thread. Emre bad? You have got to be kidding. He has been one of the best players on the pitch as of late. How many teams have every midfielder scoring 10 goals per season lol. So much for him not being able to take freekicks...

Sell Dyer? When he's actually returned from injury and close to fitness? Laughable.

Too much pessimism around at the moment.

am sorry but jet u seem to be the only person that actually thinks we play well.

another good performance? then how come we just got through by penaltys of all things, getting through on penalty's does not mean we performed well.

it means we scraped through a game we shoudl of won comfortably again.

Jet said:
Another good performance and a deserved win. Funny that the game we drop Bramble, we concede 2 goals down to poor defending. Bramble is a good defender. He has lots of attributes but loses concentration as do, it seems, other players as well.
You could say we have won a game without Bramble playing!
A good result but not a good performance, drawing with Watford after 120 mins of open play!?

The problem we have at the minute is simple. A lot of games, a lot of injuries to key players, more so attackers meaning goals are less likely and a little dropped confidence.
Maybe a lack of strikers but Rossi and Sib seem to be better than say ameobi and martins.
ALL teams have injuries and how they deal with them is the key. NUFC has a very small squad which means injuries hit us more than usual. But who is to blame? Simple, FFS, Roeder and something which i have not mentioned and that is the scouts. Awful players are being bought for very high prices! Only N'Zogbia seems to be the only talent we have picked up via the scout system.

I can't believe some peoples opinions in this thread. Emre bad? You have got to be kidding. He has been one of the best players on the pitch as of late. How many teams have every midfielder scoring 10 goals per season lol. So much for him not being able to take freekicks...
I beleive the is mostly directed at me......
Emre is very inconsistent, and plays well when HE wants too, that attitude not good enough for the toon nevermind the prem, is it his mental attitude stopping him playing well everygame (barring the normal one-off off games)? He reminds me of Jenas, decent but only when he wants to be, seems to me our problems is we cannnot motivate millionaires.
I think this is generally the problem for football, many players are earning millions of pounds per year and have not achieved anything worthy of mention, how do they get motivated, answer - they don't.
Not every midfielder gets 10 goals a season but at least one should if you to be in the top 4. Emre gets enough chances to have free kicks (he is our free kick taker afterall, I rememebr a game not so long ago that he was argueing with milner to take it, Emre won and the ball sailing over the bar!) do you think being our freekickj taker he should be getting more goals? Even robert got about 10 a season and he was very very lazy.

Sell Dyer? When he's actually returned from injury and close to fitness? Laughable.
Yes sell him, nobody wants him injured! A serious question: who in the top 6 prem teams wouyld buy him? and for how much? and what wages? (My answer: none, if they did they'd pay probably 3-4 mill, wages - lucky to get 25k a week)
What are his strengths? Pace, forget it, he has been out so long that will take at least 6 months (assuming by the miricle of all god trhat he actually plays for 6 months without getting injured!) of match play to get sharp again, any others strengths? Where would you play him? Do you think his wage packet is worthwhile? My rough calculations show he has cost the club 11 million pounds in wages whilst being injured. What do we do then? Increase his wage packet after nearly a season out injured, why why why?!! :confused:

Too much pessimism around at the moment.
Indeed, that is what sitting joint bottom does for you, don't forget we are fast approaching xmas, only one team has been bottom at xmas and escaped!

Bramsafc said:
I am really saddened by the clubs plight hahahahahaha :D :D

Well I wouldn't expect anything different from a mackem, but I would remind you where Sunderland are and with no direction, ambition or financial pull, where they will stay.

They are a mediocre club with a mediocre board and players.

Much as I like Roy Keane, I think he has bitten off more than he can chew taking on the manager's seat there and Sunderland's fortunes will not change without a massive overhaul of the club.

Can they attract big names or only moderately big names of 10 years ago ?

If we did sell Dyer, knowing our luck he'd be awesome...not getting injured and playing on form.

Ameobi will be out for the season shortly.... with the operation

Jet, I have to agree with Vandamm.

Emre is inconsistent at best. There was a match recently where I had a discussion with someone on the boards (can't remember who it was) about Emre's crossing and cornering abilities. In that match out of about 10 corners I think 3 made it past the first man and one of those went out of play before it reached the goal mouth.

Although he can play well he is too inconsistent. The same goes for a few of our other players. I would be happy to see us spending smaller amounts of money on slightly older albeit more experienced players and getting a couple of good seasons out of them where they can provide some solid service in which ever position they play rather than spending everything in the kitty on one 'saviour' player.

Panzer

On the subject of Dyer, I think he's a superb player and I cant wait to see him back in the team. The lad has been very unlucky with injuries, and I just hope he's turned the corner now!

Paul

Until we shore our defence up & stop making silly errors our midfielders wont have the confidence to play attacking football, and so our strikers (assuming we have any left ;)) wont get the service.

Keep Taylor & Ramage, get a new left back, unless Bernard's looking good ofc, and an experienced central defender to control the line. Until we do this we're going to struggle tbh, there's just no confidence in the spine of the team, we're always on the backfoot in games. Free up our midfield, and we might just get some magic back.

Either way, we're on a major downer at the moment. Still more fun than being a makem tho :P

Panzerbjorn said:
Jet, I have to agree with Vandamm.

Emre is inconsistent at best. There was a match recently where I had a discussion with someone on the boards (can't remember who it was) about Emre's crossing and cornering abilities. In that match out of about 10 corners I think 3 made it past the first man and one of those went out of play before it reached the goal mouth.

Although he can play well he is too inconsistent. The same goes for a few of our other players. I would be happy to see us spending smaller amounts of money on slightly older albeit more experienced players and getting a couple of good seasons out of them where they can provide some solid service in which ever position they play rather than spending everything in the kitty on one 'saviour' player.

Panzer

I don't agree. And i don't believe that corners and freekicks are all that he does. Emre gives us a lot of movement in midfield, he's always looking for the ball, he pulls the oponnents out of position. He's a great passer, great dibbler and is fairly consistent. He was what partly what was lacking at Sheffield Utd. When he did come on he was more lively than anyone. Problem was he was playing just a couple of days earlier and couldn't last the full match.

Van_Dammesque said:
You could say we have won a game without Bramble playing!
A good result but not a good performance, drawing with Watford after 120 mins of open play!?

Well we conceded 2 goals and won on penalties. Something the defence didn't help with. And 1 goal at least was Taylor/Ramage fault because of poor marking. I'm not saying they're bad players but everyone makes mistakes. Bramble just gets all the attention for some reason. Watch Bramble carefully next game, he does a lot of good.

And yes, it sounded like a good performance. It is possible to play well and not win. It wasn't like the one-off Sheff Utd game where we had nothing to offer. The defence let us down, not the attackers which has been a problem as of late.

Van_Dammesque said:
Maybe a lack of strikers but Rossi and Sib seem to be better than say ameobi and martins.
ALL teams have injuries and how they deal with them is the key. NUFC has a very small squad which means injuries hit us more than usual. But who is to blame? Simple, FFS, Roeder and something which i have not mentioned and that is the scouts. Awful players are being bought for very high prices! Only N'Zogbia seems to be the only talent we have picked up via the scout system.

You can't compare the 2 partnerships at this stage. Yes all teams have injuries but not on the same scale as us. It's easy with hindsight to say they were a waste of money but people aren't so vocal at the time. We've also got some bargains. Duff was good value, Sib was probably cheap, Rossi was free and Roeder did well to get him until January. Plus more I can't be bothered to check.

Not every midfielder gets 10 goals a season but at least one should if you to be in the top 4.

Parker has 3 already he could go on to get close to 10. We're only a quarter or so into the season. I think we can agree that players aren't always motivated but that isn't a Newcastle thing and this season it hasn't been to bad imo.

Yes sell him, nobody wants him injured! A serious question: who in the top 6 prem teams wouyld buy him? and for how much? and what wages? (My answer: none, if they did they'd pay probably 3-4 mill, wages - lucky to get 25k a week)
What are his strengths? Pace, forget it, he has been out so long that will take at least 6 months (assuming by the miricle of all god trhat he actually plays for 6 months without getting injured!) of match play to get sharp again, any others strengths? Where would you play him? Do you think his wage packet is worthwhile? My rough calculations show he has cost the club 11 million pounds in wages whilst being injured. What do we do then? Increase his wage packet after nearly a season out injured, why why why?!!

So if no-one would buy him for a decent amount it makes no sense to sell him lol. It will not take him 6 months to be able to run fast for god sake. He'll be match fit in a month or so so long as he stays uninjured and he will be just as quick. When he's on form he's England class (which aint saying much atm I admit). Dyer doesn't just cause defences problems with running, he creates space for other players. Without Martins/Dyer/Zoggy (he's suddenly not his best) we don't have enough pace. Our team is easy to mark. That would change with Dyer back and hopefully Martins soon as well.

Indeed, that is what sitting joint bottom does for you, don't forget we are fast approaching xmas, only one team has been bottom at xmas and escaped!

Fair enough but I don't believe any of the teams in that position had our quality and similar injuries/number of games. I willing to be proven wrong though.

In conclusion, i'm not saying Roeder and Shepherd are blameless. I just believe that it's not neccessary to sack either of them. I like Roeder, he's honest during interviews, he did great last season (and from Feb to the end isn't just a honeymoon period) and I agree totally with the excuses he has given. Our performaces aren't reflected in the results and injuries/number of games takes its toll. We'll just have to wait and see.

No-one has actually given any opinions on what should be happening really. It's just non-stop we're rubbish, Bramble is rubbish, we're are going to get relegated, no doubt about it. Roeder is rubbish, our players get paid to much, etc, etc. I like to support the team even when we are doing bad, rather than laying into the manager and players when it's not wholly their fault.

Jet said:
Parker has 3 already he could go on to get close to 10. We're only a quarter or so into the season. I think we can agree that players aren't always motivated but that isn't a Newcastle thing and this season it hasn't been to bad imo.
We desperately need Parker to get +10 goals, since we have no prolific strikers!

So if no-one would buy him for a decent amount it makes no sense to sell him lol.
To elevate the burden of 80k per week for something like a average of 3 or 4 matches per season, wow good value for money! (I wouldnt have Ronaldiniho in the squad if that were stats.)

It will not take him 6 months to be able to run fast for god sake. He'll be match fit in a month or so so long as he stays uninjured and he will be just as quick. When he's on form he's England class (which aint saying much atm I admit). Dyer doesn't just cause defences problems with running, he creates space for other players. Without Martins/Dyer/Zoggy (he's suddenly not his best) we don't have enough pace. Our team is easy to mark. That would change with Dyer back and hopefully Martins soon as well.
We could have 11 linford christies on the pitch and still not win, the problem with Dyer is he has no football brain and is simply a sprinter. He will need several months to get match sharpness, making the runs with footballing implications (simply not just running for the sake of it.)
In fact at Dyer's first club, a scout told him to quit football and do athletics!

Fair enough but I don't believe any of the teams in that position had our quality and similar injuries/number of games. I willing to be proven wrong though.

In conclusion, i'm not saying Roeder and Shepherd are blameless. I just believe that it's not neccessary to sack either of them. I like Roeder, he's honest during interviews, he did great last season (and from Feb to the end isn't just a honeymoon period) and I agree totally with the excuses he has given. Our performaces aren't reflected in the results and injuries/number of games takes its toll. We'll just have to wait and see.

No-one has actually given any opinions on what should be happening really. It's just non-stop we're rubbish, Bramble is rubbish, we're are going to get relegated, no doubt about it. Roeder is rubbish, our players get paid to much, etc, etc. I like to support the team even when we are doing bad, rather than laying into the manager and players when it's not wholly their fault.
First poor players should be sold, second people with inflated wages should be sold. At the very least a massive kick up the backside (such as fines for poor performances).

I understand supporting the toon through thick and thin, I think this attitude is wearing thin with most supporters simply because of the obscene wages palyers are getting and the price of tickets etc...more money put in the greater the output of the team expected.

Van_Dammesque said:
We desperately need Parker to get +10 goals, since we have no prolific strikers!

Well the person you would expect to be prolific is injured for the whole season. Remember what happened to Arsenal when Henry got injured? Plus the others haven't got a chance this season and 2 are injured.

To elevate the burden of 80k per week for something like a average of 3 or 4 matches per season, wow good value for money! (I wouldnt have Ronaldiniho in the squad if that were stats.)

You don't know if he will only play 3 or 4 games this season. Hence, why I think we should wait and see before selling him. He's too good a player for that.

We could have 11 linford christies on the pitch and still not win, the problem with Dyer is he has no football brain and is simply a sprinter. He will need several months to get match sharpness, making the runs with footballing implications (simply not just running for the sake of it.)
In fact at Dyer's first club, a scout told him to quit football and do athletics!

Dyer is not simply a sprinter. If he was, why would he get called up for England? He's a great player and on form one of out best. Remember when Shearer played in goal. I guess that coach was right too?

First poor players should be sold, second people with inflated wages should be sold. At the very least a massive kick up the backside (such as fines for poor performances).

I understand supporting the toon through thick and thin, I think this attitude is wearing thin with most supporters simply because of the obscene wages palyers are getting and the price of tickets etc...more money put in the greater the output of the team expected.

Wave goodbye to the Premiership if you sell any players or fine them, you yourself said we had a small squad. It's precisely selling players which is part of the problem. The prices etc, are expensive but people forget tha Newcastle United is a business first and a football club second. The same with most big clubs.

just read on yahoo sport that ameobi is out for the season with his hip injury!

ok so hes not great but better then some of our other strikers

Last edited:
The players Newcastle have bought have been short term fix and not long term, if Newcastle had brought in 6 good young players they would be a hell of a lot better.

Jet I agree with you for the most part, I'm not ready to sack Roder and we do have an extensive injury list (has anyone wondered why it's such a problem? Is there something wrong with the way our players train or warm-up/down before and after a match?

Cheeta I have to disagree. We need some experienced players who can hold the lines and control the play on the pitch. Gary speed and Shearer were our foundation players while they were with us, although Scotty P does a good job as captain he's still fairly young and doesn't have all the answers. There's no doubt that we need some fresh legs but getting in 6 young, inexperienced players is not the best way to go about it.

Panzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom