Next England Manager

To beleive in the concept of a "good football manger" is a bit like believing in a god. There are no metrics to measure a managers impact on a game, therefore like religion you have to have a bit of of faith that the manager is the cause of X outcome.

Do good players make managers look "good" for example?

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Interesting appointment for England.

Think the challenge is always how little time you get with all of the players (despite seemingly endless International breaks...) to put your methods in place for when it actually matters.

Not afraid to speak his mind which could be as much a positive for him as it could be his undoing.

This guys got a spicy wiki. Still he has a fair few trophies to his name despite him seemingly falling out with everyone, but what will it cost the England team?
Will we be looking for a new manager in a years time..

Last edited:
Furguson's style was effective though and brought success and trophies.

Hopefully we can get away from the Butlins jolly style of tournament camps and start to be more ruthless and serious.

Which makes my point; Ferguson rarely if ever criticized players publically, something I've heard Tuchel do too often for my liking. I remember him doing so after the draw with Real Madrid in the CL last year (calling a player "greedy"). While I appreciate his honesty there is a time and a place for such things and doing so in such a public manner rarely improves things.

This aspect in his style of management is probably a contributory factor why he fell out with key players both at Chelsea and Bayern. Let's hope we just see the positive side of his obvious managerial talent.

Last edited:
Good press conference - a refreshing change from Southgate.

Interesting reaction from the likes of Neville and Carragher to this, saying it's harder than ever for English managers and we don't have an identity.

The reality is the various English managers are just not that great, who is there? Potter and Howe. Good managers but not massively exciting...

I think it's a great appointment really, 18 months of pure focus on trying to win the World Cup with a top manager. I don't think he'll be upsetting people, he's not with the players that frequently, and he handles the media very well.

Decent manager, should not be managing England (i wouldnt mind him having a crack at the man united job tho)

imo - even if it means having a lesser manager - the manager and primary coaching staff should have to be English. Yes i know other countries do not do it, but that does not concern me. There is enough money in the English game that we should be able to train decent English managers, and if non were available we should have stuck with the caretaker until one came along.

I felt the same about Sven as well, even tho i really liked and respected him

Last edited:
Decent manager, should not be managing England (i wouldnt mind him having a crack at the man united job tho)

imo - even if it means having a lesser manager - the manager and primary coaching staff should have to be English. Yes i know other countries do not do it, but that does not concern me. There is enough money in the English game that we should be able to train decent English managers, and if non were available we should have stuck with the caretaker until one came along.

I agree with the sentiment that we plough enough money into football here that we really should have a large number of quality managers to choose from. It’s strange that we don’t.

Right now, I personally couldn’t give a monkeys that they’re not English though if we don’t have much to choose from.

If it changes though, cool.

Completely agree. I'd rather see a relative nobody come in and give it their take over this.

So you're happy to lose to Greece?
i think you are missing the point!. Messi and Ronaldo were brilliant players at their peak, and England would undoubtedly have been a better team including them........... but it does not mean i think they should have been allowed to play for England.

The manager has a direct influence on the players on the pitch, as such, if its for England they they should imo have the same criteria as the on field players for qualifying .

and yes if that means losing to Greece then so be it.

Personally i think this rule should be mandatory for all countries.... but even if not, England have no excuse for not training English managers.

Southgate made some decisions which made no sense to be, but i cant argue with his achievements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom