Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Man of Honour
what SoT's are people getting? Just wondering if it would be better than the 5 hours im currently getting on my s6!

and would it be a worthy upgrade/sidegrade! (always like new tech, even usb port C is new to me :D)

I've got 4.5hrs so far with a little to spare but I don't know if I could milk 5hrs - you perhaps could if you turned on battery saver? For my use there was not much 4G mainly wifi, and low intensity stuff (reading emails, social media, texting, reading news) no games or anything like that.

I think the S6 will easily out perform battery wise.

Man of Honour
Any video out on these (Micro HDMI / MHL etc) or is it all 'casting'

Thinking of dumping my iP6 for one - nearly did with the Play X, but it just didn't tick all the boxes where as this........

Not tried, but casting is awesome - especially if you use chrome - I was browsing on a TV, as well as showing a presentation. I think you can get HDMI adapters for it.

Anyone else noticed the phone touchscreen can be laggy/lacking sensitivity when charging? Seems to happen worst for me when using the wall charger, in the bottom right of the screen. Makes typing a bit annoying.

XDA thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/help/poor-touchscreen-latency-t3229198

Had a play last night, if it is then it is very minor and perhaps only spotted it because you brought it up? Maybe I was looking for it more than I would normally? It wasn't bad enough to make me think "damn, there's a problem here".

Man of Honour
Dark room shot

This place (The Brewery near the Barbican in London) was very dark - and it was a quick snap with HDR on, and not very stable (I wasn't leaning on anything). Annoyingly I should have done another shot without HDR and taken more care to take a still shot. That said, it's not bad.

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...JkSYP4k9fySNycNUUlopQOmUKloJ_S-Jo?size_mode=5

https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...N7vXaRLbR7FDuDfiBiki7VIk_LMNrW4T4?size_mode=5

Not sure what the quality is like, but on my screen it's pretty sharp until you zoom right in. I will try and get some more dark photos with more care, and without HDR enabled.

Soldato
Would this phone be a downgrade from a HTC One M8? I want to go to a Nexus phone for stock android, but can't find any comparison videos between these two devices.

Associate
The software version of OIS (optical) is often called EIS (electronic), its only optical if the lens moves. Might be worth searching the play store for EIS?

Soldato
Would this phone be a downgrade from a HTC One M8? I want to go to a Nexus phone for stock android, but can't find any comparison videos between these two devices.

Camera is much better on the 5x (certainly the main one, but the selfie camera looks rather average compared to the 6P), neither have an AMOLED display (if you want one), no stereo speakers on the 5x (but the one is still front-facing) and no MicroSD card slot.

If you want stock android I'd go for it. All you're lacking is one speaker and a MicroSD card slot.

Soldato
Camera is much better on the 5x (certainly the main one, but the selfie camera looks rather average compared to the 6P), neither have an AMOLED display (if you want one), no stereo speakers on the 5x (but the one is still front-facing) and no MicroSD card slot.

If you want stock android I'd go for it. All you're lacking is one speaker and a MicroSD card slot.

Thanks for that, looking at the specs the clock speed is a bit slower on the 5x, would it still be expected to be a faster phone?

6P is a little bit too big I think

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thanks for that, looking at the specs the clock speed is a bit slower on the 5x, would it still be expected to be a faster phone?

6P is a little bit too big I think

Try a demo unit in CPW before making that judgement, it is smaller in the hand than you will expect. Like a watch, it's all about how the case is designed, it "wears" much smaller than the on paper size suggests.

In my hand it felt smaller than my Note 3, and not a far stretch bigger than my Xperia Z3.

Soldato
certainly is.

Sorry for being dumb...certainly is faster?

Try a demo unit in CPW before making that judgement, it is smaller in the hand than you will expect. Like a watch, it's all about how the case is designed, it "wears" much smaller than the on paper size suggests.

In my hand it felt smaller than my Note 3, and not a far stretch bigger than my Xperia Z3.

Yeah might have to go in and see.

Soldato
Sorry for being dumb...certainly is faster?
It will be faster anyway as it's stock android with nothing to slow it down. I'm perfectly happy with the speed of my Nexus 5, but I want a bigger screen, otherwise I'd just be sticking.

That said, the HTC A9 doesn't look overburded by Sense either, but obviously I've no idea if the new idea (quick updates and a lighter Sense skin) will be coming to the M8 - I'd guess not.

Back
Top Bottom