*** Nexus 5 THE Official Thread ***

Soldato
Replaced the battery in my 2.5 year old Nexus 5 recently, must have done well over 1000 cycles and was pretty much dead. Only good for an hour's use. Replacement was very easy and the difference is huge. Anyone with an ageing Nexus with poor battery life really should replace the battery. For less than £10 I'm hoping for at least another year's use out of the old Nexus.

Soldato
Replaced the battery in my 2.5 year old Nexus 5 recently, must have done well over 1000 cycles and was pretty much dead. Only good for an hour's use. Replacement was very easy and the difference is huge. Anyone with an ageing Nexus with poor battery life really should replace the battery. For less than £10 I'm hoping for at least another year's use out of the old Nexus.

Funny you should mention that - my Nexus 5 was really only suffering from a poor battery, performance wise and update wise it was still going strong.
Found me a genuine battery via Amazon for £7 and I've got a set of "required tools" coming for £3, so £10 all in and I'm hoping it will be as good as new.

Little worried as I'm "cracking" the phone open, but the videos I've watched indicate it isn't that hard a job.
I'll be back looking for advice on a new phone if it all goes wrong :)

Soldato
So I think I know why my Nexus 5 is spontaneously rebooting sometimes. The power button thinks it's being held down so it powers off.

It's common issue with Nexus 5 according to the internet.

Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Associate
So I think I know why my Nexus 5 is spontaneously rebooting sometimes. The power button thinks it's being held down so it powers off.

It's common issue with Nexus 5 according to the internet.

Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Either try smacking it quite hard on the power button side, or take the mechanism apart and clean the switch.

Mine did this just before the 2 year warranty expired so Google replaced it, for me!

Soldato
Either try smacking it quite hard on the power button side, or take the mechanism apart and clean the switch.

Mine did this just before the 2 year warranty expired so Google replaced it, for me!

I think it's the button yes. I've given it a few whacks but it's still randomly shutting down.

I'm 90% sure it's the button but do you think it's worth wiping the handset and seeing if that solves it?

---

I'm now in desperate need of the new Nexus devices. I've waited this long and so close!!

Last edited:
Associate
I think it's the button yes. I've given it a few whacks but it's still randomly shutting down.

I'm 90% sure it's the button but do you think it's worth wiping the handset and seeing if that solves it?

---

I'm now in desperate need of the new Nexus devices. I've waited this long and so close!!

If you can wipe the device then it's worth a punt.

Mine was cycling so quickly I couldn't get it reset.

Seriously want the new Nexus to be announced, as well!

Soldato
Mine started doing that, the switches are cheap on ebay but tiny, got a made who does SMD soldering to swap them out, and replaced the battery at the same time, been going strong since :)

Soldato
Tempted to give these guys a call.

I'm desperate having waited this long for the next Nexus devices just to spend £30 so I can wait rather than getting a Nexus 5x at this point.

Do you think they look legit?

---

Not sure what to do really. The idea was to hand this Nexus down to my Dad once the new Nexus handsets came out, but now this phone is on the blink of being unusable.

Spend the £30 and have it repaired use it until new Nexus is out and then hand it over to my Dad, or just bite the bullet and get a Nexus 5x now. He'll also probably get a 5x as well.

It's not necessarily money that's the problem it's the fact I wanted to wait for the new nexus devices so I would get the longest amount of software support. If I get a Nexus 5x now it'll have one more year in it until it is basically obsolete interms of Android updates. And considering it'll be a 1 year old phone for me at that point that's not something I'd be particularly happy with.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone have an idea where i can grab one of these for pretty cheap? Was thinking somewhere around the £60 mark.

Need it for some dev work and as long as the touch screen & buttons work, i don't really care about the rest of it.

I really dont want to use the dreaded bay...

Soldato
Anyone have an idea where i can grab one of these for pretty cheap? Was thinking somewhere around the £60 mark.

Need it for some dev work and as long as the touch screen & buttons work, i don't really care about the rest of it.

I really dont want to use the dreaded bay...

I've got one sitting here you can have. Just had a new battery fitted.

Associate
I've got one sitting here you can have. Just had a new battery fitted.

Yes please.

Only issue is that i dropped my Surface pro and cracked the screen. Having to pay for a new screen is shockingly expensive, still cheaper than buying a new one, so this purchase will have to wait until next week.

That doable?

Soldato
Yes please.

Only issue is that i dropped my Surface pro and cracked the screen. Having to pay for a new screen is shockingly expensive, still cheaper than buying a new one, so this purchase will have to wait until next week.

That doable?

Sure, No problem. Just drop a message on here. It won't be going anywhere.

Soldato
So my Nexus 5 is completely dead now. I cant power it on as the power button is broken.

I can send it off for repair at £45 but they say the device needs to have the pass lock removed.

I cant remove the pass lock as I cant power it on....

Any ideas how I can wipe the device if I cant physically power it on?

---

I'm waiting for the new Nexus. The plan was to give this one to my dad.

Last edited:
Soldato
It had personal information on it, but I have managed to get the phone to turn on and stay on for the first time since Fri afternoon.

Now the question is, is a very good condition Nexus 5 worth spending £45 to repair?

I'm gonna be buying a new Nexus once Google release them. Plan was to hand this off to my dad as I mentioned before.

How much does a 8.5/10 condition second hand Nexus 5 sell for?

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone here still rocking their Nexus 5? I have a load of protective cases in various colours doing nothing if anyone wants them. They're gonna get binned otherwise. One them is the official flip case in black.

Back
Top Bottom