*** Nexus 5 THE Official Thread ***

Soldato
My power button has started playing up/sticking, sometimes it's benign and just brings up the "Power Off" option instead of turning the screen off, other times it forcibly powers down the phone and keeps doing so (interrupting boot) until I manage to fix it.

Anyone else had this issue, seems like it was/is a common-ish problem, looks replaceable but anyone done that and if so where did you get the switch from?

Soldato
My power button has started playing up/sticking, sometimes it's benign and just brings up the "Power Off" option instead of turning the screen off, other times it forcibly powers down the phone and keeps doing so (interrupting boot) until I manage to fix it.

Anyone else had this issue, seems like it was/is a common-ish problem, looks replaceable but anyone done that and if so where did you get the switch from?

I've replaced it before. A bit of a pain in the ass to do. You'll need a decent soldering iron for a start with a fine tip.
I got my button off eBay. I think it was about £2. Cured the problem anyway and phone is still running flawlessly.

Soldato

If you bought from Google or Amazon contact them anyway as they have fantastic support and the power buttons were a flaw from the initial release.

The worst they can do is say "go away".

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a supplier of good quality (original?) batteries for the Nexus 5? I've had mine since launch and with around 1000 cycles by now the battery is probably on its last legs.

Soldato
I took the fact there is no preview image to mean there will be no N for the Nexus 5.

Last year there was no M for the Nexus 4.

I hope I'm wrong. There is nothing wrong with the N5. Has at least another year of top performance in it.

But I was planning to upgrade to the next Nexus 5 anyway in Oct/Nov and pass my current handset to my Dad.

Last edited:
Soldato
anyone got any advice for a cracked screen on a Nexus 5?
DIY replacement screen worth it? Some of the cheaper ones seem to have bad reviews, whilst apparently original replacements are around £100 :(

Better off investing £100 in a new phone?

Soldato
Have a look on replacebase. They tend to be cheaper.
If not, I have two Nexus 5's sitting at home gathering dust. Could sell you a screen from there. No issues with them at all.

Soldato
Does anyone or has anyone repaired the USB socket on their Nexus 5 ? Mine has gotten really loose, the plug literally falls out the phone or sometimes it just doesn't charge at all. Going to miss my Nexus 5 if does die completely as I can't find anything out there spec wise that comes close to it.

Soldato
Yes. You can buy replace dock ports from the website I listed above. Remove the back cover, remove six screws for the cover plate then another 4 on the bottom section. Pop out the battery and replace the USB dock strip (rough idea) and plenty videos. I've got it down to a 'T' now and can get them changed in a few minutes, it's that simple.

Associate
Does anyone or has anyone repaired the USB socket on their Nexus 5 ? Mine has gotten really loose, the plug literally falls out the phone or sometimes it just doesn't charge at all. Going to miss my Nexus 5 if does die completely as I can't find anything out there spec wise that comes close to it.

Is it definitely knackered rather than just a build up of grime?
Mine was doing the same but a careful clean with a filed down wooden tooth pick solved the problem. The dirt and grime wasn't allowing the USB lead plug to sit firmly and latch on so would fall out.

Failing that, can you not use a wireless charging pad?
I use one now and use my USB socket once in a bluemoon.

Associate
My wireless charger is by Choetec and was £15 (so cheaper than another phone :) )
It is a bit slower at charging (1A output opposed to 2A from certain chargers through the usb port) but that's fine for me when on the base over night next to my bed. There might be faster ones out there but faster charging all the time might knacker the battery quicker.
Great bit of kit.

Wouldn't be without wireless charging on a phone now, saw the Nexus 5x and 6 don't have it so that's them out of the running should I wish to upgrade.
Nexus 5 still a great phone though.

Soldato
Yeah I do like my Nexus 5, discovered its also factory unlocked which is why I want to keep it really as I want to tell three to jog on in June, had enough of them treating me like dog poop in general.

Ordered a wireless charger, for £10 I'm not going to complain if it works. Just need a decent case for it now, what I'm using looks tatty as hell !

Back
Top Bottom