NFL 2018 Season

Soldato
Can now see the Pats winning the Superbowl :(

So can I unfortunately (not an NFC East opponent is why methinks). What I don't understand is why Tom Brady still wants to play at his age, He's got nothing left to prove. His place in Canton is already assured, It's just a question of how high a percentage vote He'll get when he goes in (Sooner the better so other AFC teams will a chance)

Soldato
I had to stop playing American Football at 36 due to injury. I would love to still be playing now in my mid 40's if I could. Why would he stop? You think he plays for the records and HOF?

Soldato
What I don't understand is why Tom Brady still wants to play at his age, He's got nothing left to prove. His place in Canton is already assured, It's just a question of how high a percentage vote He'll get when he goes in (Sooner the better so other AFC teams will a chance)

like a few players, and from his response at the end of the game, he really enjoys playing football, and having to watch players get forced to give up due to injuries etc, i think he wants to play as long as he can and end it on his terms if possible.

Caporegime
Every time I try to get into this sport there's blatant incidents of the referees ignoring clear fouls or giving nitpicking fouls against particular teams that have huge influences on the games. The foul on the Saints receiver that went ignored at the end of the fourth quarter with the game at 20-20 was astonishing.

Soldato
I had to stop playing American Football at 36 due to injury. I would love to still be playing now in my mid 40's if I could. Why would he stop? You think he plays for the records and HOF?
There's been only a select few QB's that have had the playing time in the NFL that Brady has had & nearly all of them are in the Hall of Fame, I dont see it quite that way TBH. (I'm pretty bad at playing sports BTW) If I was a successful NFL quarterback that has played for as long as he has, to play every week From August (pre-season) into February (Five months) & you have the ball for a few seconds for let's say 30-40 times a game, before three or four blokes over 6ft tall weighing 20-25 stone screaming obscenities at you & trying to land on top of you or push you to the ground while you still have the ball, I think that would be a little tiring. Once I'd reach 40 or so (I'm 53 BTW) & I'd rather be teaching the youngsters the tricks of the trade of being a top QB. All that time out there its going to take its toll in later life.

Associate
Every time I try to get into this sport there's blatant incidents of the referees ignoring clear fouls or giving nitpicking fouls against particular teams that have huge influences on the games. The foul on the Saints receiver that went ignored at the end of the fourth quarter with the game at 20-20 was astonishing.
goes both ways. tbf in the playoffs i rather the refs put the flags away and only call the egregious stuff
anway for all the saints fans ;)
H8b5Eql.jpg

Soldato
There's been only a select few QB's that have had the playing time in the NFL that Brady has had & nearly all of them are in the Hall of Fame, I dont see it quite that way TBH. (I'm pretty bad at playing sports BTW) If I was a successful NFL quarterback that has played for as long as he has, to play every week From August (pre-season) into February (Five months) & you have the ball for a few seconds for let's say 30-40 times a game, before three or four blokes over 6ft tall weighing 20-25 stone screaming obscenities at you & trying to land on top of you or push you to the ground while you still have the ball, I think that would be a little tiring. Once I'd reach 40 or so (I'm 53 BTW) & I'd rather be teaching the youngsters the tricks of the trade of being a top QB. All that time out there its going to take its toll in later life.

The Patriots have always had a good O-line though, so Brady doesn't generally take too many sacks. Plus he's not the type to break out of the pocket and risk getting hit that way. Personally I can see why he's still going, he clearly loves the sport. I was recently thinking about giving up regular football now that I'm 30, but when I've had any time off due to injury, being on holiday, etc I've realised how much I miss it. It's tough to step away from a sport when you've been playing it for most of your life.

Soldato
Also I think the reason why Tom has had a long shelf life is down to his HC. Others would have thought that it would be time to draft a new QB or trade for for one to take over & give TB less game time. After all you cant keep father time at bay forever.

Soldato

Personally (and maybe this might be because you say you're not good at sports) but my mind just wouldn't work that way. I loved playing. I actually sat in my car and cried when the Doc said I had to stop :( To me, I can't comprehend why Tom B would just decide to stop playing if he still can at that level. What he's achieved is pretty much irrelevant. I get it when they're past their prime, like Manning clealy was, you hope they can see this and hang up their boots, but even then, that's a tough thing to do when you love playing.

I also don't really get the whole 'amount of seconds you hold the ball in a game' point? My career was probably 40% QB, 40% FS, 15% HB and 5% DE. 45% of my career I barely touched the ball each game! Why does that matter?

Soldato
Also I think the reason why Tom has had a long shelf life is down to his HC. Others would have thought that it would be time to draft a new QB or trade for for one to take over & give TB less game time. After all you cant keep father time at bay forever.

funny thing (except for one set of fans), that i heard the other day was that the 2 of them could have been at the jets :D, but after a day or so in charge things happened behind the scenes and coach moved to the pats.

to be fair other qb's have come in then moved on due i guess due to lack of playing, not sure why they wouldn't want to learn from a couple of the best in the game.

added to all that they've stayed at the top in a sport that is set up specifically so that shouldn't be possible, not in large due to Brady wanting to win so he says i'll have that for wages as long as you use the extra you were going to pay me on the team.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also don't really get the whole 'amount of seconds you hold the ball in a game' point? My career was probably 40% QB, 40% FS, 15% HB and 5% DE. 45% of my career I barely touched the ball each game! Why does that matter?

Having never played the game myself, but I've watched it on & off for the best part of 33 years since CH4 started a weekly highlight show way back in 1986, the focus of the game has always (to me) been on the QB. In most cases I think the QB is the most important player on the team as they have most contact with the ball & they decide who to pass to/hand to (with a little bit of help from the OC & HC). You do have a point though, but I think most NFL QB's would not want to tackle a defensive lineman/linebacker after a fumble recovery or an interception for fear of injury.

Soldato
Of course most wouldn't. I don't see the relevance to the discussion there? No-one asks them too... Bottom line, why would someone stop doing something they love if they didn't need to? That's all I was saying really. It doesn't matter what position they play, how much they touch the ball or to an extent even how much they win. One factor I accept is wear and tear on the body, especially with all we're learning about concussions these days. This definitely doesn't apply to Tom B. He is barely ever touched! :)

Soldato
How are people calling this one then?

I'll be heartily cheering on the Rams but despite that I've put £10 on the Pats -8.5. as much as it sticks in my craw I can see them handling the Rams and I'm really not sure how Goff will face up to the pressure.

I really hope I'm wrong and if the Rams D can win in the trenches they have a shot but I have a feeling Belichek will have a plan to deal with losing the Line battle and will be prepared for another way of taking on the Rams. Talib will be key as well on keeping an eye on Brady through the air.

All in all looking forward to a great game.

Soldato
much as i would love the rams to win, after seeing the playoffs i can't see past the pats, think brady will pick apart the rams defence and they'll have enough in place defence wise to force goff into mistakes

Back
Top Bottom