NFL 2018 Season

Soldato
It's funny, I thought he could end up there. Wish I'd put some money on it! The Pats have a bit of a history in taking problem players and making something good of them. Well... they did it with Blount.

Soldato
I think quite frankly it might be because he's past his best. He's not been over 1,000 yards since 2014 for example.

Bit surely he will top a drugged up injury mess that is Gordon!

I just look at Cowboys, Pat's, Browns (amongst others) with serious recieving core issues and he must be worth a shout. Though I guess if he still values himself as No1 franchise territory there will be issues.

Soldato
I think quite frankly it might be because he's past his best. He's not been over 1,000 yards since 2014 for example.

i don't think he needs to be for the teams he could help, just as a threat i still think he has something to offer, but he's still good enough to provide an outlet.

the other side of it could be his ego getting in the way and people going "ermm , no thanks......." :(

Soldato
Was gonna turn off the packers game at half time and watch a film but I was thinking 'what if'

Now I'm not only annoyed at our play this game. I'm super ****** at the NFL and dire rule changes.

Soldato
As usual I'm watching RedZone and they seem to have something against the Redskins so I didn't see much of the game. I think I did see Clay Matthews getting done for the second week running for this silly new rule.

Soldato
What a weird week for results. Almost every "favourite" was turned over.

Be fascinating to see how the far the Chiefs can go. Gold plated offense but that D is tragic at times. Rams looking good again, really enjoy the look of them this season.

Dalton 29/46 with 4 interceptions :( I fluctuate between loving and loathing the Red Rifle.

Soldato
Just sitting watching all the highlights in the airport. It's shocking how bad NFL players are at tackling, surely they could get some rugby coaches in to teach them how to do it correctly?

It was rife in all games but one glaring examples was Williams the Bengals safety, had Newton coming at him, time to set himself and just floated into the tackle standing almost entirely still and vertical. I'm not a rugby player but even I know he should be moving toward him (to get some momentum) and getting low to take him out with leverage. The amount of players who call themselves defenders but then try to tackle by giving a 6" plus, 250+ back at full speed a gentle cuddle round the shoulders is shocking.

#rantover :D:p

Soldato
Wow. I can assure you it's not as simple as that. Myself as a QB who (without sounding like, well, I don't know what) was a little like Newton (in that I was fast and agile, but bigger than most defenders coming at me) I used to love if someone came at me fast. It made it much harder if they stopped and set up, but then you would tend to try and run over them instead, but more often than not, even if you knock them down, you're probably going down too.

I don't watch a lot of rugby, but I thought most of their tackling was kind of side on. They didn't often hit people head on surely?

That's not to say there wasn't some bad tackling, Drew Brees putting a spin move on two Falcons was a great example, but errors are usually down to bad angles more than anything. That's the problem when you're head on with someone, you don't have an angle. (I played a lot of FS too, and hated open field tackling myself)

Soldato
This season has been really odd so far. Teams can get thumped one week and then look solid the next, or vice versa. For example, last week the Bills lost at home to the Chargers, this week they go and put it on the Vikings away from home. Also, the Redskins were poor last week against the Colts, this week they turn it around and beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. It certainly makes things exciting, there's little predictability to the league.

Soldato
rams got lucky this weekend, gurley getting lazy with his ball carrying on the strip, goff's slack pass getting picked in the end zone and yet another 40+ yd pass straight down the middle for a TD, no idea what wade phillips is doing but he needs to pick his game up our defence is getting worse.

feel sorry for clay matthews with the 2 calls that have gone against him, from the replays i've seen they have been far worse take downs that haven't been called.

just our luck that the week before the rams take on the vikings buffalo batter them :(

as for the tackling some of it seems very poor, more a case of trying to smashing into their knees/lower legs with no real attempt to grab the legs, saw a few cases where they seem to turn their backs towards the people their trying to contact with why ??

Soldato
Wow. I can assure you it's not as simple as that. Myself as a QB who (without sounding like, well, I don't know what) was a little like Newton (in that I was fast and agile, but bigger than most defenders coming at me) I used to love if someone came at me fast. It made it much harder if they stopped and set up, but then you would tend to try and run over them instead, but more often than not, even if you knock them down, you're probably going down too.

I don't watch a lot of rugby, but I thought most of their tackling was kind of side on. They didn't often hit people head on surely?

That's not to say there wasn't some bad tackling, Drew Brees putting a spin move on two Falcons was a great example, but errors are usually down to bad angles more than anything. That's the problem when you're head on with someone, you don't have an angle. (I played a lot of FS too, and hated open field tackling myself)

I played a fair bit of American football in uni (wide receiver all the way) and the tackling I used to get was comparable to the rugby hits I used to get on a pretty regular basis. I appreciate the comment about making them miss, especially when you are going down their throat, but what I find unforgivable is the weak, arm flailing 'tackles.' You will never stop a back (or very rarely) when someone is powering at you by trying a shoulder high/upper chest tackle, at best you will slow them down. Surely this should be 101 on the training field?

Soldato
I played a fair bit of American football in uni (wide receiver all the way)

Cool, which Uni and how long ago? I would guess I was quite some time before, I think it was '94 and '95 I played for the Leicester Lemmings :)

Really we need some video examples to perhaps break down what they are doing. I think it's easy to say they're not doing it well, don't forget they are also trying to tackle the best of the best in a lot of cases (well, not Brees running, but you know what I mean ;) )

Soldato
Isn’t a lot of that down to how little contact training they’re allowed to have?

don't see that it should be, as per everything else tackling can be coached, while tackling dummies don't have legs and no real movement you can get shown how it should be done.

there are always some situations whereby theres next to nothing you can do, like gronk stamping all over a little safety/corner, or as rugby has been mentioned when the likes of jonah lomu have it in there mind your not stopping them, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

having seen some of the comments from the nfl on their judgements with the clay matthews tackles, i think their setting themselves for issues like the "is it a catch or not", didn't really think in either of the tackles he attempted that he tried to bury the qb or try to slam him into the ground, hopefully will get cleared up.

Back
Top Bottom