NFL 2020 Season

Soldato
I think I heard the Cowboys saved $20m against the cap though, when the alternative was using the tag on him. (Although, I think technically they still tagged him, so if they have to use it again in 4 years, it's going to cost $$$)

I didn't used to be a believer, but honestly, they're a different team with him at the helm. His injury possibly helped show that this year...

Associate
I think Prescott's deal is great for him but not good for the Cowboys. Although it will be eclipsed at some point by other QB deals. I've heard a few analysts call Prescott a top-10 QB. I'm not sure personally although he's clearly a good QB and in the top half of starters imo.

It's just another example where a team overpays for a QB and it'll sure as hell happen again. We've seen teams overpay in trades this offseason; Stafford & Wentz. Again I don't think we are out of the silly season yet. It sounds like the Texans may have acknowledged the fact that their market for Watson will disappear (or get a hell of a lot smaller) by the draft and Wilson in Seattle might get interesting. So a lot to be sorted before the draft (and during).

I think I heard the Cowboys saved $20m against the cap though, when the alternative was using the tag on him. (Although, I think technically they still tagged him, so if they have to use it again in 4 years, it's going to cost $$$)

Apparently it would have been a 44% increase for another franchise tag ($38m) which unfortunately set the floor Prescott's team used for the minimum on any new deal. However this new deal includes a no-tag and no-trade clause (which seems to be standard now, given Wilson & Watson have no-trade clauses too).

Last edited:
Associate
So the Bears cut Kyle Fuller to pay for Andy Daltons $10m salary.

FML :(

As a fellow lifelong Bears sufferer...I hear you.

Although I think Fuller may have been a cut casualty anyway due to his age/salary, there's no doubt that our off season has been a car crash. You knew in advance that we'd be listed as a loser or get low rankings for the off-season before they even been written after that Dalton trade. That said I think some of this off-season has been unavoidable. We're in QB purgatory, have a low draft pick and limited cap room with very few options in play. Again all by products of Pace's mistakes over the last six seasons.

I did get voted down on Reddit for suggesting the best thing about picking up Dalton is that we haven't given any future draft picks so at least the new GM and HC will have those. Although there's still time for us to overpaid and overreach with future draft picks in this year's draft. While the draft is loaded with good OL, WR and CB options.

Soldato
Re the Bears - it feels like the least bad available option. The damage was done picking Mitch over Watson and Mahomes...but I don't think there is an immediately better option for the Bears at QB if you accept Trubisky needed to leave

Associate
Yea, unfortunately I think it's a very bad year to be needing a QB. Although this is often true, even so there still seems to be lots of teams who don't have a franchise QB or potentially would like to upgrade. And teams like the Bears, Colts and WFT have low draft picks (19-21) which puts them in a very bad spot to trade up. Which is why I suspect they have all taken a similar route with FA/trades.

Unfortunately Trubisky was the consensus number one pick in 2017 although the Bears not even interviewing Watson (a 3yr starter and championship winner) is one criticism it is hard to defend. Although apart from Roquan Smith, all of Pace's picks in the first round have been poor. I do like Dalton and actually was a little disappointed we didn't pursue him more last year and went with Foles in the end. Although the problem arguably with Foles and Dalton is that they both are similar veteran QBs that you want as backups, ideally mentoring a rookie. But if we go for a QB in the draft, why did we go for Dalton. It suggest we've got no faith in Foles but can't get rid becuase of the cap hit.

Last edited:
Soldato
some interesting draft trades already, not sure why the dolphins would give up 3 then move back to 6 for ?

Report gives them A+ for their moves in this breakdown.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...le-49ers-and-eagles-haul-in-impressive-marks/

Everyone wants/needs QB's and with Lawrence almost certainly going No1 (injury recover the only issues) - and Wilson number 2. Miami don't need a QB and played on that with getting lots of future 1st round picks. They will get their WR they are looking for I suspect.

Associate
Feels like really smart GM'ing, taking advantage of the QB desperation. Miami now have another future 1st & 3rd rounder and still going to get an elite prospect in this year's draft.

Soldato
darnold to the panthers for a 2021 NFL Draft sixth-round pick (No. 226) plus second- and fourth-round selections in the 2022 draft, so be interesting to see what they do and how that works for the 49'ers after trading up to 3.

Associate
Just confirms they are done with Teddy Bridgewater and very likely think they can't get the QB they want at 8. Whether they have overpaid for Darnold remains to be seen. Although it sure as hell feels like it and also don't get much of the rookie contract benefit.

QBs going top 3. And even tonight there are rumours the Falcons might be shopping the 4th pick - which will be to some desperate franchise.

Associate
Wow, wow, wow...interesting 1st draft night.

As a Bears fan it's hard not to get excited about the trade the we made. Seems once Denver skipped QB and Philly traded up for Devonta Smith it worked out nicely for us to get Fields.

Either way with all the Rodgers news in advance, it seemed quite an eventful night.

Back
Top Bottom