NHS=Negligent Health Service

The representative of The Monster Raving Lunaric party made a sage comment reflective on the state of the health service in this country recently.

He suggested moving doctor's receptionists to UK Border Force duties, and in return Border Force personnel to doctor's receptionist duties. I could get behind this party ;)

The representative of The Monster Raving Lunaric party made a sage comment reflective on the state of the health service in this country recently.

He suggested moving doctor's receptionists to UK Border Force duties, and in return Border Force personnel to doctor's receptionist duties. I could get behind this party ;)

He just recited a very old Facebook meme that I've had weekly for years.

There must be a better way for patients to contact various departments to cancel appointments. If the patient or someone in household comes down with Covid or S&D - they must not go to hospital and to phone the number on the letter. They ring the number. It’s either constantly engaged, constantly ringing or get to voicemail. The latter you leave a message. No one responds to your voicemail.

Then the NHS moan about the number of missed appointments! Well, duh, if you improve the ways patients can cancel appointments- that figure would be slashed.

There must be a better way for patients to contact various departments to cancel appointments. If the patient or someone in household comes down with Covid or S&D - they must not go to hospital and to phone the number on the letter. They ring the number. It’s either constantly engaged, constantly ringing or get to voicemail. The latter you leave a message. No one responds to your voicemail.

Then the NHS moan about the number of missed appointments! Well, duh, if you improve the ways patients can cancel appointments- that figure would be slashed.
If that’s the case then I would gather you have a direct number to the department and that the secretary is either not at their desk or busy.

Some trusts use DrDoctor:

You are in the same hospital as me and twice I've just walked over to the appointments room and cancelled it because I can't get through on the phone.
My Dad has done that! He had an appointment given whilst on holiday. He gave up phoning the department. Took the bus and walked to the department. Was able to get the receptionist to speak to consultant’s secretary about dates Dad couldn’t do.

My Dad has done that! He had an appointment given whilst on holiday. He gave up phoning the department. Took the bus and walked to the department. Was able to get the receptionist to speak to consultant’s secretary about dates Dad couldn’t do.

How awful is that?
At least mine was walking out of my office into theirs.
However I think I said above that I have taken my Brother in Law 3 times because they had forgotten about him, so the Clinician hadn't passed it forward to get him back in.
He now has an op date of Dec 9th because they need robotics.

I'm sure they would save money by having an appointment booking site and fewer staff who just manage the exceptions. The one I used for COVID jabs at the hospital was really good.

I'm sure they would save money by having an appointment booking site and fewer staff who just manage the exceptions. The one I used for COVID jabs at the hospital was really good.
Some departments use the choose and book service. Sometimes the hospitals the GP allocates me there are ZERO appointments available.

A few years ago, the eye department I go to I was able to book my next appointment 6 months time upon exiting the department. This way I was able to book one to suit me. Now receptionist says "you get your appointment letter through the post".

Think most employers are accepting that their employees got to take their appointments esp some departments people have waited 2 years to see a consultant etc in that department.

I've worked in Clinical Negligence at a Trust for 11 years and because of people like you I'll never be out of a job.
Me

I just contacted NHS ombudsman. Pretty shocked from what I was told.
I have made a complaint to the local trust 9 weeks ago. I received acknowledgment etc but it has not moved forward.

The NHS ombudsman have told me I will need to wait 6 months and if I still haven’t received a responce then I can go to them.

I find this pretty shocking, other ombudsmans period are 8weeks and then they can take the complaint on, with or without a responce.

Protecting the NHS is more important than treating or people or even fixing the system.

People could die with in this time period.

The system completely fails people if they are on the wrong side of this system.

Last edited:
I had a hospital appointment for some tests recently and they “sort of” had an appointment booking website.

The time didn’t exactly suit me so I pressed “can’t make this time” as I thought it would let me pick an alternative but instead it said “ok that’s cancelled” and I got another text the next week then they sent me an alternative choice another few weeks on from the first option (that I had to accept via the website).

It’s like they’ve never used any website ever. And if they can’t be flexible at all then they may as well have not bothered with the website.

I just contacted NHS ombudsman. Pretty shocked from what I was told.
I have made a complaint to the local trust 9 weeks ago. I received acknowledgment etc but it has not moved forward.

The NHS ombudsman have told me I will need to wait 6 months and if I still haven’t received a responce then I can go to them.

I find this pretty shocking, other ombudsmans period are 8weeks and then they can take the complaint on, with or without a responce.

Protecting the NHS is more important than treating or people or even fixing the system.

People could die with in this time period.

The system completely fails people if they are on the wrong side of this system.

When a complaint/claim is submitted, that department has 30 days to at least respond and that's in the policy.
We have to inform the patient/solicitor if we can't meet that deadline.

Back
Top Bottom