NHS=Negligent Health Service

NHS website says within 24 hours is possible? I'm In the Newcastle Upon Tyne btw so if your down south maybe that's why it takes so long? higher populated area etc

Body was taken away at like 6pm ish and coroner phoned back sometime the next day saying the cause of death.

I can now see how this was quick because it wasn't an Inquest, just the Coroner reading the Post Mortem which can be done quickly.
If the Coroner thought there was more to it they would request multiple reports and assign an Inquest.

I saw this on a mountain biking forum just now
Have had a cough for a few days and on Sunday evening starting getting a sharp pain in my chest, was going to wait until Monday morning and phone the doctor….but I know what it’s like trying to get an appointment.

Anyway the pain became unbearable so reluctantly went down to A&E around 11.00pm……seven hours later left A&E having been diagnosed with pneumonia and a suspected blood clot on one of my lungs, they were going to keep me in, but agreed to let me go home in my wife’s care…so on antibiotics and my wife has to give me an injection in my stomach for the next 14 day to kill the clot I think….she‘s done 4 so far, back in for more tests next Monday.

I’m absolutely knackered all of the time, slept for over 11 hours last night….breathing is also a nightmare…….may not be out on the bike for a while

then they updated with

Hi, Apparently the d-dimer blood test was elevated, have a CT booked for next Monday, I think the initial injections every day are just a precaution until they can confirm next Monday, thanks for your input….greatly appreciated
and then again with
Thanks all, I don’t think there are any delays…it’s just the NHS, they put me on the anti blood clotting injections straight away and as a precaution rather than wait for the PE to be confirmed, as this is what they would have done if it was confirmed . I have a CT scan on Monday evening and then an appointment to discuss the results on Tuesday morning, then another type of CT scan on Friday . See what happens…

Wonder why my ex-wife didn't get injections as a precaution.

NHS must be a lottery as to how competent your is, people just take it for granted the NHS is going to get everything right.

If so many people seem to get a PE after pneumonia whys giving the injections as a precaution not a standard across the whole NHS?

Last edited:
If so many people seem to get a PE after pneumonia whys giving the injections as a precaution not a standard across the whole NHS?

I'm no expert in that but my bugbear is how different Trusts deal with things.
I often get records from other Trusts and often wonder why they have different stuff than us.
One of our big cases a decade ago was a bloke who died waiting months for a treadmill test (something to do with his heart), if he'd been 40 miles down the road he would have had it the following day.

Just to give balance as the parent of two disabled children - and someone waiting for ACL reconstruction surgery - I've found the NHS to be excellent.

They're horrifically overstretched and need better funding. No doubt they could be more efficient, but so can any colossally sized organisation.

I saw this on a mountain biking forum just now

then they updated with

and then again with

Wonder why my ex-wife didn't get injections as a precaution.

NHS must be a lottery as to how competent your is, people just take it for granted the NHS is going to get everything right.

Probably because I suspect the injection would likely have been a type of blood thinner if to "stop a clot", and blood thinners open up a whole new can of worms in terms of risks that are probably higher than the risk of a PE.

Unfortunately there are always two sets of human elements in any interaction with a doctor and a patient, how the symptoms are presenting and are described by the patient, and how good the doctor is at getting as accurate a set of symptoms as they can, and how experienced the doctor is with the specific set being described, and even two doctors with the same training and years under the belt might be very different, or might be beaten by a young doctor who has had the very latest training and remembers something new*.
That's before you even start to look at how differently people experience the same things (let alone male/female differences), and then you've got the "edge" cases where something will present extremely abnormally and hit someone who is not in a group expected to be at risk.

*My father is/was always a bit of a "teaching moment" for the local hospital eye clinic when they had new trainees in, he is one of the relatively few people still around with a specific implant that was used in the 50's, so useful to show new/young staff what it looked like in real life.

I often get records from other Trusts and often wonder why they have different stuff than us.
One of our big cases a decade ago was a bloke who died waiting months for a treadmill test (something to do with his heart), if he'd been 40 miles down the road he would have had it the following day.
Probably in that instance something along the lines of lack of staffing/resources to do it quickly :( (quite likely "simply" staff)

Our local hospital has IIRC two different CT scanners, one has had to be housed in a temporary building outside A&E because they didn't have room inside, despite it being much newer/better than the one they had inside, but they can still only do one type of CT on certain days of the week because it requires a third scanner/different type of scanner and they currently don't have one so it rolls up in a mobile unit, meaning they have to try and get any scans done that need that one on 2 days a week so longer delays/more chance of you needing to go another hospital if it's urgent. They're currently building a new cancer unit to house new diagnostic and treatment stuff and apparently once that's done they'll have that third type of CT scanner on site.

As @Werewolf says it's all about funding (or rather, the lack thereof)

As another example having worked at UHNM, UHB and some other DGH ICUs...

I can get same day CT/MRI, echos and PICC lines placed at UHB.
At UHNM, the echo services are very stretched at I'd be lucky to get a departmental echo the same week and PICC lines and stuff are all done internally by the ICU team.
In other DGHs I'd be lucky to get any imaging done within 24h lol unless I bribe the radiology staff...

As @Werewolf says it's all about funding (or rather, the lack thereof)

As another example having worked at UHNM, UHB and some other DGH ICUs...

I can get same day CT/MRI, echos and PICC lines placed at UHB.
At UHNM, the echo services are very stretched at I'd be lucky to get a departmental echo the same week and PICC lines and stuff are all done internally by the ICU team.
In other DGHs I'd be lucky to get any imaging done within 24h lol unless I bribe the radiology staff...

What I can remember is there was a huge waiting list for this treadmill/Echocardiogram test (I think it was something like that) and this couple wanted to jump the queue but were told they couldn't.
It was quite sad and he died while waiting for the test.
We then had a lot of trouble with her virtually daily - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ey-turned-cardiologists-home-meat-hammer.html
She's RIP now :(

Ok my friend’s daughter is 17. Who decides that she needs to go to adult A&E not children’s? She and my friend had to wait more hours in adults than children’s.

Friend’s daughter banged her head over the weekend and since then she’s getting massive headaches and sees flashes

Ok my friend’s daughter is 17. Who decides that she needs to go to adult A&E not children’s? She and my friend had to wait more hours in adults than children’s.

Friend’s daughter banged her head over the weekend and since then she’s getting massive headaches and sees flashes
Shame but there’s got to be a line drawn somewhere.

I'd say a good 95% of the kids I take from PA&E are under well under 15, let alone 17. In fact I'd say they're mainly 12 and under. Yes adolescents are technically still kids until they're 18, but the vast majority choose to attend A&E rather than PA&E. Besides PA&E is not exactly set up for adolescents, it's like a CBeebies fever dream.

Who decides that she needs to go to adult A&E not children’s? She and my friend had to wait more hours in adults than children’s.
depends on whether she is still in full-time education or not (the grey area is 16-17.9 years)
tbh i think the paediatricians would probably rather defer to the adult medics for a 17 y/o lol

Is the complaint about the semantics around the cut off for the express lane or the dire state of the NHS over the past few years?

They'll be a clear cut off in place but there's always a nurse manager that wants to override it and think they know best. Played that game so many times.

Our local surgery is an absolute joke. Appointments are always at least 2 weeks or more away, you can never get through in the morning when you are supposed to call for urgent appointments. Even if you call bang on 8am it always says you are in a queue of over 30 people...

I don't really see how i have a local GP anymore. What use is an appointment weeks and weeks away for a new condition/issue? I might be dead by then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom