NHS=Negligent Health Service

Soldato
Why should you be able to claim tax relief if you want to take out private healthcare? You want it you pay for it.

I do. I wasn't the one who took the thread down that path. I merely suggested that as I pay more for the NHS that I do private, I pay through the nose for NHS service just as much as for private. A worse service too ironically.

Associate
I do. I wasn't the one who took the thread down that path. I merely suggested that as I pay more for the NHS that I do private, I pay through the nose for NHS service just as much as for private. A worse service too ironically.
How much does your private healthcare cover? As much as the NHS?

Soldato
How much does your private healthcare cover? As much as the NHS?

It doesn't cover A&E, I think we all know that. So if you were going to go down that line don't bother.

I have the comprehensive level of care for me and my family. Work covers me, I pick up the rest. Details here: https://www.bupa.co.uk/health/health-insurance/~/media/Files/MMS/bins-14200.pdf

We also have access to their online GP service and mental health services. We've used them a couple of times over the past five years and having zero waiting and fast, efficient services is really nice.

Associate
It doesn't cover A&E, I think we all know that. So if you were going to go down that line don't bother.

I have the comprehensive level of care for me and my family. Work covers me, I pick up the rest. Details here: https://www.bupa.co.uk/health/health-insurance/~/media/Files/MMS/bins-14200.pdf

We also have access to their online GP service and mental health services. We've used them a couple of times over the past five years and having zero waiting and fast, efficient services is really nice.
I wasn't going down that route, just asking. So if work is paying you're not paying the full amount then? How long before there is something that you go in for, say a knee op, that doesn't go right and you have to go down the NHS route?

Soldato
I wasn't going down that route, just asking. So if work is paying you're not paying the full amount then? How long before there is something that you go in for, say a knee op, that doesn't go right and you have to go down the NHS route?

Work covers about 25% of the total cost. If they didn't, I would cover it. It's not significant.

If a private op goes wrong, Bupa covers getting it fixed. If you aren't satisfied with the original consultant or hospital you have access to their entire network and can select another.

Associate
Work covers about 25% of the total cost. If they didn't, I would cover it. It's not significant.

If a private op goes wrong, Bupa covers getting it fixed. If you aren't satisfied with the original consultant or hospital you have access to their entire network and can select another.
Sounds a very good policy, I'm glad you can afford it, many can't.

Soldato
Sounds a very good policy, I'm glad you can afford it, many can't.

It is. I honestly hope that I'll always be able to afford it up until retirement. If I could afford it I'd cover my mum and dad too. My wife has had cancer issues (BRCA and Carcinoma) over the years and the private healthcare has been critical to her treatment.

Associate
It is. I honestly hope that I'll always be able to afford it up until retirement. If I could afford it I'd cover my mum and dad too. My wife has had cancer issues (BRCA and Carcinoma) over the years and the private healthcare has been critical to her treatment.
Sorry to hear about your wife's problems but glad that they have been seen to

Soldato

So as soon as you get a chronic condition, it no longer covers you for that condition.

Associate
You can get Chronic cover and Chronic cover plus as optional extras. I didn’t need that.

They don’t cover pre-existing conditions.
The trouble is you never know what you will need in the future. How much extra would the other options add on? Would the extra cost become too much if you ever became too ill that you had to have the extras to get the treatment?

Soldato
The trouble is you never know what you will need in the future. How much extra would the other options add on? Would the extra cost become too much if you ever became too ill that you had to have the extras to get the treatment?

All considerations to be taken into account at the time. It doesn't change the fact that private health insurance get me faster access to treatment if I need it today and costs me less than the NHS - although I acknowledge that not everyone is paying as much tax as I am and I am therefore somewhat of an outlier in this regard.

Associate
So as soon as you get a chronic condition, it no longer covers you for that condition.
You use the private insurance to get the diagnosis. You see the private consultation next day compared to NHS in 3 months.

Then you move to NHS to get treatment. a treatment program can be set up in 3 to 5 days like this.
This is how you use private NHS.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Now that is some of the worst doctoring, was she even examined or was it put down as an over protective mum?
Something very odd there. If a single doctor had seen multiple times and not escalated, that's terrible practice. If seen and escalated to different teams (GP, A&E, pads, physio etc) then sounds like a very atypical presentation and unexpected by many clinicians. Poor girl.

Associate
Something very odd there. If a single doctor had seen multiple times and not escalated, that's terrible practice. If seen and escalated to different teams (GP, A&E, pads, physio etc) then sounds like a very atypical presentation and unexpected by many clinicians. Poor girl.
True, but we had similar with our son when he was younger. He would throw up his feed and cough until he was sick when out walking. Monthly visits to the GP, in the end saw another GP who said childhood asthma.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom