Nice pongs and gorgeous whiffs. The Aftershave thread!

Soldato
Looking for some recommendations for a Christmas gift for my brother. In the past I've bought him the usual high street stuff, Paco Rabanne, Joop, Jean Paul Gaultier etc and I'm looking for something a bit better without having to spend stupid money.

I know that's very vague!

Man of Honour
When I drove a London taxi I couldn’t help but notice that Middle Eastern Arab passengers both male and female wore good smelling stuff, perfume/aftershave, whatever.
I rarely if ever initiated a conversation with a job in the back, and no way could I see myself asking a guy what aftershave he was wearing, so I never did, but after picking up two women at Harrods in flowing robes and yashmaks, I threw caution to the winds and cautiously and politely told them the truth.
“That’s a very nice perfume that you’re wearing, it’s my wedding anniversary next month, would you tell me the name of it, and if you know where I might get it in London?”
They were very nice about it, they spoke excellent English, and wrote the name of the perfume down and a suggestion of where I might find it.
Long story short, I got it, my wife loved it, and I got a bunch of brownie points.
While I’m here, a little info if I may, I’m almost out of the Sauvage aftershave that I bought a while back and I’m casting around for something new.
When I go to Harrods or John Lewis websites and enter aftershave in their search pages, it constantly shows me eau-de-toilette, does this mean that eau-de-toilette is on a par with aftershave?
When I bought the Sauvage in duty-free in Calais, there were bottles of aftershave, and bottles of eau-de-toilette, you could buy one or the other, so the search pages offering me EDT when I’m seeking aftershave is confusing me.

Man of Honour
Thanks for that, it’s appreciated, checked out match, but decided against it.

What I meant was, every fragrance was labelled Match, rather like every drink in a Samuel Smith’s pub is labelled as Sam Smith’s.
Beer, gin, vodka, rum, etc etc, the mixers may have another name, but you won’t see Schweppes, bit of a turn off for me.
I know that any vodka will eventually get me drunk, but I prefer to drink one that I like the taste of.

hux

hux

Soldato
Not long bought Afnan not only intense, on spraying it is nice, and does smell like aventus but over time, least to my nose it smells like I've gone and burnt something.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm after a replacement for CK Euphoria Intense which you can no longer get it seems. I struggle with fragrances because I absolutely hate anything flowery so don't often wear anything. The Euphoria is quite woody / musky, almost sweet smelling and I've used it for some time. I've never tried the none intense variant, it might be the same, I probably need to find out but any recommendations on a replacement?

Soldato
I'm after a replacement for CK Euphoria Intense which you can no longer get it seems. I struggle with fragrances because I absolutely hate anything flowery so don't often wear anything. The Euphoria is quite woody / musky, almost sweet smelling and I've used it for some time. I've never tried the none intense variant, it might be the same, I probably need to find out but any recommendations on a replacement?

Have you tried CK One Shock? It has absolutely no right smelling as good as it does, and fits the bill of what you enjoy (woody/musky).

Other than that, maybe VK Spicebomb? Or a little more upmarket Mancera Cedrat Boise which is a sweet cedar smell.

Soldato
Have you tried CK One Shock? It has absolutely no right smelling as good as it does, and fits the bill of what you enjoy (woody/musky).

Other than that, maybe VK Spicebomb? Or a little more upmarket Mancera Cedrat Boise which is a sweet cedar smell.
Thanks I'll have a look/smell

Back
Top Bottom