*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
I can't believe I've put in 85+ hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm not sure I've put that much time into a game since the likes of SWOS when I was a teenager.

The PS4 Pro is gathering dust. I've got tons of backlog to play. Yakuza 0 is my GOTY for 2017 and I got Yakuza Kiwami for Christmas yet I've hardly touched it.

At times I honestly think I could sell my PS4 and I wouldn't really be too fussed. But then I see the likes of Spiderman and my backlog and think I should keep it. But when am I going to give it time? The Switch and the portability factor is just too good.

Soldato
the switch is hands-down my best gaming purchase for the last 3-5 years.

In a couple of months of owning, I've experienced Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade. Being able to play these on the couch or basicaly at anytime I want to has provided me with many hours of enjoyment but also filled in lots of moments where I would have been bored AF.

Really making me think about getting a gaming laptop now instead of a new rig.

Stick with a normal gaming PC. It's not the same having a laptop unless you will just be playing games with a keyboard/controller, as most work better with a mouse and it doesn't have that same portability feel that a Switch does.

Soldato
I can't believe I've put in 85+ hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm not sure I've put that much time into a game since the likes of SWOS when I was a teenager.

The PS4 Pro is gathering dust. I've got tons of backlog to play. Yakuza 0 is my GOTY for 2017 and I got Yakuza Kiwami for Christmas yet I've hardly touched it.

At times I honestly think I could sell my PS4 and I wouldn't really be too fussed. But then I see the likes of Spiderman and my backlog and think I should keep it. But when am I going to give it time? The Switch and the portability factor is just too good.

I know the exact feeling. Only reason I am holding onto mine is for the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Caporegime
I really need to put my switch down. It is with me everywhere but....I just have to keep farming... Stardew Valley is life atm.
haha I played it all Saturday night and then on Sunday evening my wife and I were taking it in turns to play two in-game days each :p

Its so addictive! and very calming as well...incredible little game. We're having a lot of fun trying to figure out whats the most effective methods of making money and use of energy etc. :)

Soldato
haha I played it all Saturday night and then on Sunday evening my wife and I were taking it in turns to play two in-game days each :p

Its so addictive! and very calming as well...incredible little game. We're having a lot of fun trying to figure out whats the most effective methods of making money and use of energy etc. :)
It gets even more impressive when you think about how it was made by a single guy in his spare time....from start to finish...

Soldato
Stick with a normal gaming PC. It's not the same having a laptop unless you will just be playing games with a keyboard/controller, as most work better with a mouse and it doesn't have that same portability feel that a Switch does.

yup ur probably right. its just the simple act of being able to pull out a switch which makes it amazing.

I think for a gaming laptop to rival it, it'd have to nail 2 things
1. form factor
2. battery life

Switch has really transformed gaming for me.. as in i actually play games now. even crappy parts of games like grinding become fun as im just in the car or inbetween meetings

Associate
The latest update for Doom added motion control aiming :eek:. Apparently it's well implemented too, and feels familiar if you've played Splatoon.

I played through Doom on PC a few months back but this certainly makes the Switch version far more appealing to me than before.

Soldato
yup ur probably right. its just the simple act of being able to pull out a switch which makes it amazing.

I think for a gaming laptop to rival it, it'd have to nail 2 things
1. form factor
2. battery life

Switch has really transformed gaming for me.. as in i actually play games now. even crappy parts of games like grinding become fun as im just in the car or inbetween meetings

I've tried a number of portable PC solutions, thinking I'd get a cheap and extensive game library on the go. It never works as you hope.

The further you get from an always on, always connected desktop, complete with keyboard, mouse, and a nice big monitor, the more frustrating PC gaming becomes. The idea of a PC in the Switch's form-factor sounds good. But the result will only ever be clunky, messy, frustrating. Windows updates. Steam losing your log-in on the go, with no WiFi around. UIs not scaling well to the small screen. Dodgy controls. Games struggling with the hardware for unforseen reasons. The clunky nature of Windows and lack of a proper console style UI. Portable PC gaming, in my experience, is disappointing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The games on it are so great and it is also that I hardly play my X1 as it's hooked up to tv in living room and as that is the only one in house someone is always watching tv. So switch in handheld would get the most use.

Associate
I can't stop playing Skyrim, I have literally played nothing else since buying it and its all down to handheld mode its just too convenient to keep going for another hour as I am not getting glared at by the other half for taking up the TV or having to squirrel myself away in another room.

I hope they stick with this system style moving on.

Soldato
Skyrim is so good in handheld. I've put in over 35 hours with it and I've not played it docked yet. If it weren't for Monster Hunter my PS4 would never get switched on at all. XB1 is a Blu-ray player.

Caporegime
Big patch is out for DOOM. Seems it adds gyro/motion control aiming, improves resolution, fixes the music...lots of stuff. Just saw some videos of it captured on the Switch and have to say it looks a lot better. Also only €30 from the SA store right now. Seeming like its worth a purchase now :)

Soldato
Skyrim is so good in handheld. I've put in over 35 hours with it and I've not played it docked yet. If it weren't for Monster Hunter my PS4 would never get switched on at all. XB1 is a Blu-ray player.

Contempalting copping Skyrim! Have it on PC but I feel I won't get around to it and given how huge I've heard the world is, I feel like I'll enjoy and explore it more when I can dip in and out of it on the go.

Back
Top Bottom