*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a switch dock? I want a spare so I can connect my TV upstairs but don't fancy paying silly money for the official Nintendo dock. It seems to be out of stock everywhere anyway.

Are there any cheaper alternatives out there? I'd need a power adapter/charger as well.

Soldato
Tried Valkyria Chronicles, mixed feelings as it is so so similar to the first couple of games from character models, headquarters, skirmishes, abilities. There is a new mortar class that seems pretty OP but for someone who put in 100+ hours to the earlier games the sense of deja vu is a bit too strong.

It's decent demo though, gives you a very good amount of the game, more than enough to decide if it's your cup of tea.

Associate
Soldato
I tried Valkyria Chronicles too and sadly I really don't like the battle system. Maybe I should give it another shot but it's a very unusual style and not what I was expecting at all.

Associate
I only grabbed my Switch mid June, just looking on my profile and I've already put about 200 hours into it. Mostly between Zelda and Stardew Valley.

Been hammering Dead Cells all weekend, just hunting down the spider rune. The wife grabbed me a copy of Minecraft yesterday, plays nicely on the switch, that's another portion of my life lost. D3 will be day one purchase for me, I dread to think how many hours I lost to it on PC and Xbox.

Is Splatoon 2 any good? Not played any multiplayer on the switch yet and quite like the look of it, does it play well in handheld mode?

Soldato
I don't play Splatoon in handheld because I find the motion control easier with a controller or detached joy-cons. No doubt that people do play it that way though. It's a great multiplayer game so much fun.

Soldato
Looking at picking a Switch up "for the kids" ;) bit don't know too much about them to be honest!

Is there any online capability for multiplayer? (and if yes, is there a subscription charge like PSN and XBOX Live?)

Soldato
I love Valkyria Chronicles. To be the mix of turn based and real-time strategy in battles was the best thing about it. Plus I liked the RPG elements and graphical style. To me it was the best aspects of Xcom and JRPG combined into one game!

I'll confess that I'am slightly disappointed by the graphics on the Nintendo Switch version though. I knew it wouldn't look as good as the PS4 version but the graphics are worse than even the remastered version of the original on PS4 which came out over 2 years ago. The textures and resolution in particular are noticeably inferior. Ingame it's not too bad but cut scenes, which presumably use the ingame engine, look horrible on a large TV :( It's kind of a shame as I wanted the switch version for the portability and convenience but I think I'll go PS4 again.

Soldato
Looking at picking a Switch up "for the kids" ;) bit don't know too much about them to be honest!

Is there any online capability for multiplayer? (and if yes, is there a subscription charge like PSN and XBOX Live?)
There is a charge coming in September @ £17.99 per year. A list of NES classics (20 games at launch but it will grow) comes with it plus cloud saves and store discount advantages. You will need it if you want to play online. All very reasonable I think.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo...ch-Online/Nintendo-Switch-Online-1183143.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom