1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Nintendo Switch ***

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Boomstick777, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Surely no one expects a more powerful console anytime soon. It makes absolutely no business sense to do so!

However, there is market demand for a smaller more portable console with no dock (or one that outputs only at native 720p screen resolution) and no removable joycons in Japan.

By not having the chip clock higher when docked they can save money on the dock, chip, cooling, and a smaller a battery. Fixed controls will save them a lot of money too (battery, duplicate gyro, wireless components and locking mechanisms) so they could release it at a very low price point.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  2. Rofflay

Mobster

I think we should expect one it has been two years. Example i paid Nvidia xx for the parts. Two years on its old tech i demand a die shrink or a better Tegra for value.

So if you die shrink you can overclock the CPU so in some games you can nearly double the FPS. This is really easy to do you just beef up the cooler inside or die shrink. And while there increase the ram from 4gb to 8gb. Thats pretty much going to cost the same price. Times move on what Nintendo bought last year is now devalued. Does a 1080 still cost the same as two years ago? Nope tech value halves in a two year period.

They could also easily source 1080p bezel free LED screens. The only issue i see is will they be able to source the low blur OLED? I think not and if anything it will be a cheap 1080p LED. Overall it would be easy to give the Switch a 60%+ boost because this is why some games will never come to Switch.

No Steep or COD or any other game because clearly there are games people want to put on there at 30fps but even at that framerate the CPU gives them rubbish performance like Ark. And Ark is an embarrassment to be honest.

3. vian_siu

Wise Guy

i havent got smash to try this, but it wasnt enough for me to play pso2

4. jmc007

Mobster

Oh I have one alright. Always wanted one for Zelda, though could not afford that for just one game for a while. A month before Christmas I got it, so only watching the pro as I do not want to see it for a good year so. If you know what I mean.

First console since I became PC elite after the Dreamcast.
    There is something so, so special with Japanese console games, so good they feel alive. Not many PC games have done that for me, a few had their moments, Half Life being one one of the most polished series.
    Yes, so loving the Nintendo gaming experience, it's good to be back as someone once sang; oh wait.

5. Plainsong

Soldato

I started PC gaming after the Dreamcast as well and I've been a lapsed Nintendo fan ever since (I did own a Gamecube but I never really used it much). It's good to be back. Playing Nintendo games reminds me of why I loved playing games in the first place.

6. jmc007

Mobster

Yes indeed.
    Any clues as to what the two new Switch games planned for release could be? Hoping the offline one will be Pilot Wings. The other online Vs one not sure at all.
    All Nintendo saying so far is "Fans would be delighted to know." about them coming to the Switch this year.

7. KraniX

Wise Guy

Knowing Nintendo they'll do the exact opposite of what everyone expects or thinks they should do.

I'd happily buy a "Pro" version with improved specs right now but I wouldn't be surprised if they created a little TV only console without the screen etc. Would cost a fraction of Switch to produce and Nintendo could focus on shifting more software units which is where the real money is.

8. Cavallino

Capodecina

I didn't realise there is a network adaptor? Where does it plug into exactly?

9. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

USB port. I think you can use any usb adaptor?

10. Phate

Caporegime

Its a USB to ethernet. I just bought one for less than 10eur from Amazon

11. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

2 versions on amazon. the 12.99 is worth paying extra for as it's usb 3.0 and therefore future proofed for the extra £3.

good for use on slim laptops like a surface pro

12. Phate

Caporegime

Forgot to mention mine is USB3.0 - yes :)

13. Plainsong

Soldato

14. Phate

Caporegime

15. Plainsong

Soldato

I really hope he's right!

16. Phate

Caporegime

I can't see it not coming. :)

17. vian_siu

Wise Guy

that sort of defeats the purpose of the switch. however i am all for a better stand that doesnt damage the screen and bulit in support for stuff like ethernet

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  18. fez

Capodecina

Metroid trilogy will come out for sure but there are a couple of questions about when and in what format.

Will they have updated/upgraded the graphics (probably not because why would you, you can charge the same regardless)
    Will it be released soon for our benefit or will it be held back until X number of months before MP4 comes out. Hopefully thats not the case because MP4 won't be out for another 2-3 years by all accounts.

19. satchef1

Mobster

It's all about Fire Emblem for me this year. Though Metroid Prime Trilogy would come a close second. Probably Pokémon after that, providing it offers something genuinely new (rather than just being Let's Go set in a different region, with different Pokémon and no/less motion control stuff).

20. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

They could have easily gone for the tegra x2 at launch, but that's not how Nintendo do things.