*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I snagged Luigi's Mansion 3 for £25, just in time for Halloween. I'll be playing co-op docked, but had to play about an hours worth to unlock co-op mode. Some of the best game lighting I've seen on the Switch, OLED bliss!

Soldato
Bought Mario Party Superstars today, had £10 worth of gold coins which took some of the sting out of the eShop purchase.

3 of us played tonight on the Haunted board, seriously a lot of fun and very competitive. None of us have played any previous Party Superstars before, so the game naturally was a lot slower than it should have been. 20 turns on that board should take an hour, but we finished pushing 2 hours. We enjoyed every minute of it!

Soldato
Disappointed in Mario Kart 64 not being able to save ghost data in time trials due to the lack of the controller pak.

That was always a fun part of the single player experience for me back in the day.

I know it's emulation but expect better from Nintendo considering this is an iconic game and likely to be one the few anyone actually bothers to play.

Soldato
Disappointed in Mario Kart 64 not being able to save ghost data in time trials due to the lack of the controller pak.

That was always a fun part of the single player experience for me back in the day.

I know it's emulation but expect better from Nintendo considering this is an iconic game and likely to be one the few anyone actually bothers to play.

It's getting a lot of negative reviews, the N64 emulation is bad compared to previously and unofficially emulators.

Everyone expected better from Nintendo but this is an poor effort from them.

Soldato
BOTW should be fine then if you're not fussed about storylines, or most the other things you probably play games for.

Strange how people derive entertainment. BoTW gameplay mechanics are among the most coherent and emergent ever. It's not perfect sure, but it feels like an adventure as opposed to pushing up to win.

Wont do the game any justice if Nintendo cant get the emulation right.

And I really don't see the fuss about the game, even when it first came out.

Multiplayer mostly and expectations were way lower

Soldato
Strange how people derive entertainment. BoTW gameplay mechanics are among the most coherent and emergent ever. It's not perfect sure, but it feels like an adventure as opposed to pushing up to win.OTE]

I personally didn't feel it did anything better than any other open world games. I mean it had 'ubisoft towers' a shallow crafting system, pretty bog standard combat and a vast open world of not a lot.
However, I did like how creative you could be tackling things, though I usually just rolled bombs downhill. I didn't totally hate it, I felt it had a few memorable moments before I dropped it.
Certainly nothing coherent (unless that means playing it safe) and emergent, that sounds like words from a Nintendo biased Kotaku review.

Soldato
I personally didn't feel it did anything better than any other open world games. I mean it had 'ubisoft towers' a shallow crafting system, pretty bog standard combat and a vast open world of not a lot.
However, I did like how creative you could be tackling things, though I usually just rolled bombs downhill. I didn't totally hate it, I felt it had a few memorable moments before I dropped it.
Certainly nothing coherent (unless that means playing it safe) and emergent, that sounds like words from a Nintendo biased Kotaku review.

Each to their own. I'm no Nintendo fanboy and this was the first of the series I've played for any meaningful length of time.

Coherent as in the rules of the world are the same from the start to finish. Emergent as in you get more opportunity to play with these as you progress. High stakes combat could go one way or another depending on how you approach etc.

I can see you're not a fan and that's fine

Soldato
Each to their own. I'm no Nintendo fanboy and this was the first of the series I've played for any meaningful length of time.

Coherent as in the rules of the world are the same from the start to finish. Emergent as in you get more opportunity to play with these as you progress. High stakes combat could go one way or another depending on how you approach etc.

I can see you're not a fan and that's fine

No I respect different opinions I was just unsure on the language you used but I get it now thank you. The annoying this is I really did like parts of it a lot, just not as a whole I dont know if that makes sense.

Weapon durability was a pain, I'd personally prefer if there was a small amount of weapons like the other games but you can upgrade.
Having a way to change the weather would be a blessing, the amount of time I just had to sit and wait for rain to stop so I could climb something was frequently annoying.
I quite enjoyed the shrines but would've liked the traditional dungeons as well, I think they could coexist.

From a technical aspect, 60fps and option to use different colour filters would be immense.

I dislike it as a Zelda game but as a general open world game I thought it was ok just unfortunately didn't get the magical feel of some of the others and I still put a lot of hours into it.

Soldato
Been playing Metroid Dread for the past couple of days and oh my it is bloody brilliant. Took me a while to get my head around how to avoid the EMMI properly but I think I've nailed that now. First full Switch game I've bought since the Mario 3D trilogy.

Upgraded to the OLED model recently, really liking it a lot, one thing I'll say though is vivid mode is ridiculously over saturated, I understand Nintendo probably set that as default to give the OLED screen the 'pop' factor but it is too much, so glad you can at least choose standard, much closer to my calibrated OLED TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Upgraded to the OLED model recently, really liking it a lot, one thing I'll say though is vivid mode is ridiculously over saturated, I understand Nintendo probably set that as default to give the OLED screen the 'pop' factor but it is too much, so glad you can at least choose standard, much closer to to my calibrated OLED TV.

Agree. It was fun to try it but put back to standard very quickly.

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting my 5 yo daughter a switch lite for christmas as she quite enjoys playing Mario Kart on mines, but a couple of questions.

Do you think there is enough for a 5 year old to do with a switch?

I have some games that i've bought digitally, do i need to do the whole primary, non primary console thing to share the games? So one would need to be online to play the games? My main issue is i don't want her to get games that are outwith her age if i do that.

Sorry for the noob questions.

Associate
I'm thinking about getting my 5 yo daughter a switch lite for christmas as she quite enjoys playing Mario Kart on mines, but a couple of questions.

Do you think there is enough for a 5 year old to do with a switch?

I have some games that i've bought digitally, do i need to do the whole primary, non primary console thing to share the games? So one would need to be online to play the games? My main issue is i don't want her to get games that are outwith her age if i do that.

Sorry for the noob questions.

It's mostly from memory but you can create a family group on your nintendo ID, give them a separate Nintendo kids account and then use the Switch Parental Controls to set all the levels up.

I have the same setup and although they can see all the games they can't launch any of them with the Parental Controls turned on. To play the games yourself you need to enter a pin to turn off the controls and then everything is available. It seems to lock a lot of news items and the emulators are blocked too due to content. I think the pin goes back on as soon as you put the console to sleep so it's a set and forget. :)

Back
Top Bottom