*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Tried NES Mario Bros the other day on the switch. Just couldn't play it, the input lag ****** me right up!

Can't say I noticed the issue when I played through Super Metroid, but that's a slower game.

Was a bit disappointing

Associate
I see they are releasing KOTOR 2 on the 8th of June and they will be releasing the restored content DLC for it as well. Currently playing the first one on the switch and it’s perfect for a hand held device. Can’t wait for the second one.

Last edited:
Associate
I see they are releasing KOTOR 2 on the 8th of June and they will be releasing the restored content DLC for it as well. Currently playing the first one on the switch and it’s perfect for a hand held device. Can’t wait for the second one.
As someone who never played it is it worth picking up or is it more of a nostalgia thing?

Soldato
As much as I loved that game, I’d probably put it in the nostalgia box unfortunately.

It’s a great game, I just don’t think the mechanics will have aged well

Soldato
I managed to jump on this slot just ended for Mario Strikers. It's fun but seems to have have some lag in all the games I've played with occasional slowdown. The game can be a little tricky and at times and the powershots can seem unstoppable no matter how much you button mash or fill the meter. The next playable hour slot for UK will be at 20:00.

Soldato
Thinking about getting another switch is the OLED one worth the extra £50 over the normal one?
I would say so, its just a big quality of life upgrade, especially if you use it handheld. It's dubious and YMMV as an upgrade, but for a new unit, it's definately worth it. I originally wasn't going to get one. My wife wanted one though, and once we saw hers, we ended up getting another for me, so take that as you will! (and we both had/have the animal crossing special editions and she loves AC, but this was just nicer)

-Pros
Noticeably better screen, slightly bigger but just much better colours, blacks/darks and contrast, so just looks much richer, and has a glass screen not plastic.
More premium finish (still put a screen protector over it though, and buy one made for the OLED)
MUCH better kick stand hinge
Slightly better speakers
Dock has LAN built in, and just looks a bit nicer
Doubled internal storage to 64GB

-Cons
Costs more

Soldato
Which is the next best model of Switch to the OLED? I've got my daughter and partner on AC and I think we'd benefit from different consoles. It works on one console but is pretty limited to what followers can do, without constantly changing leaders.

How much do I need to worry about joy-con drift and which version of Switch would you recommend for a 6 year old?

Soldato
Which is the next best model of Switch to the OLED? I've got my daughter and partner on AC and I think we'd benefit from different consoles. It works on one console but is pretty limited to what followers can do, without constantly changing leaders.

How much do I need to worry about joy-con drift and which version of Switch would you recommend for a 6 year old?
The standard v2 is the next best.

Soldato
PPS, I would say the standard v2, at only 32GB onboard for all the OS updates, patches, DLCs and saves etc is a bit on the slim side.

If you're intending to use it as a main machine for them with multiple games, I'd definately invest in a decent performing microSD card for the system. It'd be fine for just AC, but I suspect they may play more than that!

The Switch is fine with most decent performance cards, albeit if they're on the lower side of performance it can cause stalls and hitches, so worth getting one rated U1/3 and A1, as that should guarantee it'll be up to spec for sustained transfers, installs and the like.

I'd still recommend the standard over the lite even for your 6 year old though; it has better battery life, and also the lite cannot be docked, and some games literally NEED extra joycons. The lite is more useful as a second system.

I would perhaps say go standard for your daughter, OLED for the wife as the OLED is a bit more premium and the wife may appreciate that, plus less likely to need to add a memory card due to the doubled storage :)

Back
Top Bottom