*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Better not get a another new Zelda like botw. Endless running with few npcs or enemies here and there. Not to mention the pathetic shrines over full blown dungeons.

This is a flaw of the Switch, the hardware is not capable of easily rendering a dense open world and the developer did what they could at the time. Maybe the next switch will be better and allow more expansive games

I do understand that there are some 3rd party open world games on the Switch now that are more dense than the Zelda games, however some of them have really poor performance, or run at a really low resolution and some of them, are games like the Witcher 3, where the developer spent a huge amount of resources in optimization to get the game running and the Zelda devs may not have commited as much to optimization. Also the Zelda games just work differently anyway; for example BOTW and TOTK have a big focus on physics and a lot of the Switch's power is dedicated to the physics in the game, something which other games don't do.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hoping for:

Full backwards compatibility including all digital purchases and some kind of upscaling effect on old games.

Dual screens with one being able to be used a media screen while playing games along with much better support for TV viewing apps, not just Youtube and a couple of anime apps as per the Switch. The 2nd screen could either be a fold out as per DS or a slide up screen, or even fully detachable. Both screens identical and touchscreens so users can configure how they want and interchange them. Could be amazing for 2 player games each having their own screen.

Possibly even a way to use existing Switch screens and controllers with the Switch 2 as well.

The dual screens could allow for many streaming possibilities and I expect it be be streamer friendly out of the box. I doubt Nintendo will bother with VR, though could be wrong. They may end up implementing VR in the most user friendly way to date if they do go for it.

Joycons need a proper D-pad as standard and improved sticks. Console specs will be underpowered but still adequate, likely options for true 1080p or upscaled 4k on most games. I think Nintendo will aim for 60 fps in most of their games and tone down graphics if needs be.

There's a chance we'll see Xbox game pass on the Switch 2 as well, likely limited to MS exclusives to not harm Nintendo's own 3rd party sales.

It's highly unlikely but I'm not totally ruling out the possibility of a Steam app on it as well, a lot depends on how much market share Steam deck 2 gets which will likely at least double the power of the Switch 2. Steam and Nintendo could share profits on Steam games purchased on the Switch store, could potentially be highly profitable for both in new markets. It's very doubtful they'd agree to do business on that level though.

Interested to see how many of these, if any, actually happen.

backwards compatibility is basically guaranteed at this point

Soldato
Shipping manifests have leaked some the hardware inside the new "switch 2" console; it's awesome how they have to declare this stuff when moving electronics around.

Memory: 12GB LPDDR5 RAM at 7500MT/s

Storage: 256GB UFS3.1

SOC: Nvidia Tegra T239 (Codename ODIN). 8x ARM CPU cores and 1536 GPU cores.

Other parts:

* Realtek Audio Output
* NFC reader
* Realtek RTD2175N HDMI 2.1
* Realtek Ethernet controller
* Cortex-M0 micro controller chip
* X8 HPMJ headphone jack

And the case the console is in: SIZE: 206 X 115 X 14 (MM), MODEL: HGU1100, MANUFACTURER: NINTENDO

For reference the base switch is: 173x102x14mm. So the new console is slightly bigger than the Switch, though we don't know the screen size as the shipping manifest does not mention a screen

Last edited:
Associate
The Nintendo fans are in the supply chain! Lots of cool technical tidbids deduced by those crazy detectives. I was ready to buy one this year but it's looking like next year now. I hope there's some truth to a possible OLED model too.
Being Nintendo, I can only imagine them cutting corners in some areas which goes on to annoy a segment of the diehard fan base.

Man of Honour
I'm sure it was already all but confirmed that Nvidia were providing the CPU again; aren't Nintendo basically their only CPU customer?
Nintendo will undoubtedly want some customisation on the chip anyway; they wouldn't just take something off the shelf.

Soldato
I'm sure it was already all but confirmed that Nvidia were providing the CPU again; aren't Nintendo basically their only CPU customer?
Nintendo will undoubtedly want some customisation on the chip anyway; they wouldn't just take something off the shelf.

Off shelf = cheap
Customisation = more expensive
Nintendo = cheapskates

Soldato
Everything's pointing towards a NVIDIA custom chip. Any particular reason why you want AMD ? They wouldn't be a good fit for a handheld, and would destroy any hope of backwards compatibility.
Aren't AMD pretty much experts with handheld consoles now? Steam Deck, Rog Ally, and the other 7840U devices.

But yea forgot about backwards compatibility.

Soldato
Better not get a another new Zelda like botw. Endless running with few npcs or enemies here and there. Not to mention the pathetic shrines over full blown dungeons.
Could not disagree with you more. Botw is not only the best Zelda, it's one of the best open world games ever created.

I much prefer this over any Ubisoft type collect-a-thon made up of endless busy work.

Soldato
Could not disagree with you more. Botw is not only the best Zelda, it's one of the best open world games ever created.

I much prefer this over any Ubisoft type collect-a-thon made up of endless busy work.
Busy work? There were multiple times you are running around in the empty open world, maybe spot a NPC or enemy here and there. Then the crappy weapon system. Then the joke that are shrines which replaced dungeons.

Did you dislike the Zelda games that came before it?

Soldato
I much prefer the older Zelda gameplay. I tight story with a fixed and simple way to play. Go through dungeons in their set order and not able to wander or get lost. Finding each new weapon and gadget as you go through, esch one letting you solve the next puzzle.

Don't have time for endless wandering round trying to find stuff or weapons that don't last long. I long for a new game like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

Back
Top Bottom