No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
I'm quite defensive so apologies for that, I can't help it. Any little "dig" or reply as such sends me off..

There's plenty of games without that sort of pop in, surely it can't be difficult to sort it. With big and small studios..

Soldato
I'm quite defensive so apologies for that, I can't help it. Any little "dig" or reply as such sends me off..

There's plenty of games without that sort of pop in, surely it can't be difficult to sort it. With big and small studios..

I wasn't having a dig at you, just the people having a go at Hello Games for not releasing it with that mod enabled, when it clearly causes issues.

*following not directed at you

Most games aren't generating all their assets on the fly as you travel, it takes a lot of extra processing power, overhead that you don't have when you're just loading static assets in, in predefined positions.

Try writing some procedural generation systems some time, it's not just a matter of 'lazy devs', there are real, hard limitations in what you can do with current technology.

Soldato
I'll expand a little bit, as I have been working on a procedural system like NMS for a while.

You can spawn a thread that'll generate your procedural geometry, but when it comes to pushing that geometry and it's materials onto the GPU, you've got a significant time penalty to pay. If you try and push too much over the bus to the GPU in a frame, you get stutter. I've got a queue system that collects newly-generated mesh data and drip feeds it onto the GPU at a set rate per frame, to avoid stuttering.

When you're running a typical game with all predefined assets in pre-defined locations, you can effectively look ahead and know what you need in advance, so you can pre-load it, have loading screens/transitions and the like.

Man of Honour
I'll expand a little bit, as I have been working on a procedural system like NMS for a while.

You can spawn a thread that'll generate your procedural geometry, but when it comes to pushing that geometry and it's materials onto the GPU, you've got a significant time penalty to pay. If you try and push too much over the bus to the GPU in a frame, you get stutter. I've got a queue system that collects newly-generated mesh data and drip feeds it onto the GPU at a set rate per frame, to avoid stuttering.

When you're running a typical game with all predefined assets in pre-defined locations, you can effectively look ahead and know what you need in advance, so you can pre-load it, have loading screens/transitions and the like.

Thing is though a lot of the geometry in NMS isn't truly procedural - many of the resources, etc. look the same, there is a limited set of buildings and assets for them with fairly limited rules used to slightly change site layout, many of the unique features are unique only to the current planet and only generated once (or if they are regenerating them per frame its completely needless) and generally don't have any deviation between individual examples.

Infact they are kind of wasting their time if they've gone the fully procedural route with the game as you could build something that looked 90+% the same without ever really using anything procedural. I was quite disappointed to see the repetitive tiling on water textures, etc. as I'd have hoped that would be something they would fix with that kind of approach.

Last edited:
Soldato
They didn't.

I mean, good for you if you want mods to massively scale up the flora, but bashing HG for not using settings that introduce bad clipping and performance issues.....yawn.

So you're excusing them not putting something in that they advertised, because they'd have to get it working properly?:confused:

I mean, god forbid they put stuff in that they advertised.

Soldato

Well they shouldn'tve advertised it then should they.

Man of Honour

Not sure if its the developer or Sony (or both) but as I mentioned before we had some promotional stuff for the game at work - showing similar to that video with huge alien forests, ships that look nothing like what is in the game and a character that I assume is the player heh - along the lines of the console box art but a bit more.

Associate
So you're excusing them not putting something in that they advertised, because they'd have to get it working properly?:confused:

Yet another post with that video? What is it, the twentieth now? Surely it constitutes as spam?

I propose all people who have no interest in the game should simply vacate the thread and contribute to discussion about games they do actually enjoy, rather than repeat themselves indefinitely.

Man of Honour
Hmm does the planet surface regenerate itself every time you enter the atmosphere? I set a structure as a point of interest with zoom - went to the space station and back (also using the position of other stuff as a guide in) and the site it directed me to was completely different as was the terrain - then tried the same thing again with the new site and got something completely different again.

Would explain why you can't bookmark discoveries to come back to.

Man of Honour
Hmm does the planet surface regenerate itself every time you enter the atmosphere? I set a structure as a point of interest with zoom - went to the space station and back (also using the position of other stuff as a guide in) and the site it directed me to was completely different as was the terrain - then tried the same thing again with the new site and got something completely different again.

Would explain why you can't bookmark discoveries to come back to.

That's my understanding, and it was said prior to any release that structural changes to the planet would disappear when you leave but the planet would remain.

With that in mind, i have no idea how base building ( mentioned by devs ) would function ?

Just building a 'base' on a planet , then move on and build another base every time you visit a planet seems pointless :confused:

Man of Honour
Just confirmed it - makes the game a bit meh for me. Strangely it always spawns a new site at the point of interest but completely regenerates the whole area.

Sadly seems more and more like a game designed to entertain simple minds and you aren't supposed to look behind the scenery so to speak - glad I grabbed the low level flight mod as atleast it is kind of cool just to drift over the planet surface finding stuff instead of how you are "supposed" to do it.

EDIT: So basically no point exploring the surface to find sites - stock up on a load of fuel - set point of interest and hop from atmosphere and back quickly and it will randomly generate each site over and over anew and you can quickly find whatever type you need.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of the stuff people have moaned about is in the game. I've seen plenty of predators attacking herds of grazers for example. Had a good pew-pew scrap last night with 5-6 capital ships and 25+ pirates, plus the sentinel ships getting involved because I popped a freighter by accident.

Pew-pew gets a bit easy when you have a 48-slot though, can easily mash through a 5* sentinel attack including their capital ship.

Soldato
Yet another post with that video? What is it, the twentieth now? Surely it constitutes as spam?

I propose all people who have no interest in the game should simply vacate the thread and contribute to discussion about games they do actually enjoy, rather than repeat themselves indefinitely.

When you have a disagreement in real life do you just stick you fingers in your ears & go "la la la can't hear you!"?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just asked Steam for a refund citing the content was different in the promotional material/whatever the exact wording is. I doubt it will go through but its worth a try i guess? It just isn't worth the £40 in my eyes.

Associate
Why don't those that aren't keen on the game start a separate thread to put their grievances forward, those that are keen on it can stay here.

It gets tiring reading the same gripes over and over.

Back
Top Bottom