No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
Brizzle! They don't want to hear that, you're just repeating yourself to every hater that pops in to take a jab. Do you really think they'll leave here thinking "Oh, I guess the game does have something to offer and there are people having fun with it"? NOPE.

We're only adding fuel to the fire by engaging in these repetitive conversations. If anyone here is sick of having the same conversation again and again then just don't engage with them, let them use the search function.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's a question that's interesting and not repetitious goulding of the same issues.

Has anyone here tried to figure out portal gates? I'm trying to find one by using the markings on Monolith ruins, if you get the answer correct then the plate actually rotates and points towards the next ruin. I can't tell if that's actually true or if flying in the same direction just eventually generates a ruin, but it works.

Here's what I'm not sure about, when I take off from a ruin I perform a fly by to align the ship to the specific direction but if I initially fly away far enough before performing the fly-by the ruin fires up a flare which explodes in the sky. I can't see anyone else mention this, have you guys noticed that or know of its relevance?

Soldato
Anyone else laughing at the mere presence of this video on every page? Feels like the posters are just appearing to take a dig, doesn't it! Strange that.

to be fair, even if people don't think that the video is not a fair and accurate comparison, it *is* funny.

Soldato
Anyone else think it's strange how Geks are a trading faction that look cute and enjoy being petted, but when you read the Monolith their words are all about war and dominance but strangely the key fighting words are in upper case!

Am I playing a different game to everyone else, no one seems to have a clue or even mention any of this stuff.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can't tell if that's actually true or if flying in the same direction just eventually generates a ruin, but it works.

Flying in any direction will spawn just about any site within a moderate period of time - though there do seem to be some sites (mostly related to the atlas stuff that have a more fixed location) - I've not tried it with the storyline stuff but if you set the current monolith thing as a point of interest take off and leave the atmosphere and then come back down to the point of interest you will likely find another site there and within a few tries probably the same new one that you would have found flying in a random direction for 10-15 minutes.

A few people have noticed the flares but no one seems to know what they are about.

Associate
Well I got to the centre earlier today, I'd heard it was underwhelming but still wanted to know what was there once I'd upgraded everything. I've kept away from any threads discussing the game as I don't have the patience for idiots :rolleyes::p

no comment other than to say whoever came up with the idea to reset you with every upgrade broken is an idiot:mad:

Man of Honour
A few people have noticed the flares but no one seems to know what they are about.

Monolith flare, i caught earlier today

A sequence of screenshots showing it rise from the Monolith, then explode overhead.

Ci3stTM.jpg
F6F50LC.jpg
WCZuFPY.jpg
lagL1qe.jpg

My theory :

I think it's just a bug. :(

If you complete the question on the sundial thing, you will notice that a flare fires up and explodes but you are too close to see the full effect and the window is enveloped at the time. I think this is the same flare .
It occurred the first time i logged in today, but obviously i missed it as i wasn't expecting it, so i thought i would quit and log back in and it happened again ( about 10 secs after the start ) so i was able to screenshot it. I want to believe it is something cryptic and deliberate - but i was able to re-create it twice - and both times i didn't interact with the Monolith

Last edited:
Soldato
Update for anyone else wondering - I just read that Steam is now accepting refunds for No Man's Sky REGARDLESS of play time.

I would link but muh swearies. Shouldnt be too hard to find on Reddit or whatever.

Thanks for posting that, got a refund.:)

Tried previously but got rejected. This time I went into more detail, even posted the youtube link to the Jurassic Park meme:p

Man of Honour
I'm in 2 minds refund wise - I kind of want to see developers pushing out the box and doing stuff like this (but better) and there is plenty of potential there for some really good stuff if they opened it up to modders properly on the flipside the gameplay as is kind of takes the mick.

Soldato
Has anyone here tried to figure out portal gates?

Found one so far, nothing happened as I had no idea what it was. This explains some of that. I generally just wander about until i see something I want.

Anyone else think it's strange how Geks are a trading faction that look cute and enjoy being petted, but when you read the Monolith their words are all about war and dominance but strangely the key fighting words are in upper case!

Am I playing a different game to everyone else, no one seems to have a clue or even mention any of this stuff.

Its the same for me. I wonder if it leads anywhere. It seems to tell a story (as do the abandoned stations) if you can follow it.

Soldato
No refund for me either, I'm on 48 hours total (I started over at 8 and 30 hours due to messing things up) and still very much enjoying it.

I'm hiding out my first storm at the moment and as soon as I get back into space I have some pirates waiting to ambush me. :D

Associate
I am on 71 hours.
Going to hand it over to my kids to play now as they enjoyed watching me play it.
I installed it on there PC thinking they would start with a new game save but I see that the game save data is held server side.
But there's not much they can mess up as I have maxed out on the tool and my suit.

Back
Top Bottom