No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Soldato
you have to play the long game with the settlements. Wait, talk to the inhabitants, go and do other stuff and come back later. You'll eventually get another decision to make which will affect output in some way. The wait time is definitely excessive, IMO, and there are already mods available to shorten it.

Settlements are buggy as well *shock*. my first one sank a couple of feet every time i returned, to the point i couldnt see the doors on the buildings and of course you cant mine in a settlement. Well, usually you can't; i ran in to a different bug in another settlement that allowed me to mine it.
It needs work.

And the new build interface absolutely sucks.

Soldato
Has anyone tried settlements in the game ? I have started building one but the debt keeps increasing and the productivity value is less than the maintenance costs so cant see the debt reducing at all. Also now get a message on the terminal that says clear debts to restore production, which I am presuming means that the one factory I installed is not doing anything.

don't know if you are on the experimental branch or not but it seems like the settlements got some attention in their latest patch.....

Experimental Branch 06/09
  • Fixed an issue that could cause settlement NPCs to become stuck and stop navigating.
  • Fixed an issue that caused players to spawn outside the Space Anomaly when joining a friend who was already inside the Anomaly.
  • Fixed a crash caused by a memory trample.
  • Added a Galaxy Map marker to the player's settlement.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause all settlements to be incorrectly labelled as belonging to another player.
  • Fixed an issue that caused settlement charts to be used up when they failed to find a settlement.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause settlement building timers and states to repeat endlessly.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented settlements from being added to the teleport destinations list when starting a settlement in a different galaxy.
  • Fixed a number of visual polish issues with settlement walls.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to delete the freighter room they were standing inside.
  • Fixed a crashed related to building spawning.
  • Introduced a number of physics optimisations.
  • Fixed an issue that caused missing geometry on the underside of some landing pads.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent legacy saves from loading correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause stutter animations around the Space Anomaly and the ship salvage station.
  • Fixed an issue that caused inconsistent window placement on new timber wall/window pieces.
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with generators, batteries, solar panels and planters.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the sunlight direction to be incorrect while in space.
  • Fixed a number of collision issues in settlement decoration.
  • Added the 'Report Base' option to the Quick Menu, so that bases can be reported without finding any parts.
  • Fixed a crash related to the Quick Menu.
  • Fixed an issue that caused settlement construction times to be overly long (and costs to be repeated) for landing pads and towers.

Associate
you have to play the long game with the settlements. Wait, talk to the inhabitants, go and do other stuff and come back later. You'll eventually get another decision to make which will affect output in some way. The wait time is definitely excessive, IMO, and there are already mods available to shorten it.

Settlements are buggy as well *shock*. my first one sank a couple of feet every time i returned, to the point i couldnt see the doors on the buildings and of course you cant mine in a settlement. Well, usually you can't; i ran in to a different bug in another settlement that allowed me to mine it.
It needs work.

And the new build interface absolutely sucks.
I have been talking to the inhabitants but they only say "hi, overseer" or something along those lines with the only available option is to leave. Its not really a dialogue (which is a separate issue, as I expected that to be the case) so not sure if something is in the works to have something meaningful. And agree that the settlement wait time for anything is far too long. One of the other bugs I found was that when I first found a settlement I had dispatched a group to do an expedition for which I received some debt but that objective has now disappeared and the group never returned.

don't know if you are on the experimental branch or not but it seems like the settlements got some attention in their latest patch.....
How do I find this out? I presume, I need to enable beta patches in steam settings for game updates ?

Soldato
I have been talking to the inhabitants but they only say "hi, overseer" or something along those lines with the only available option is to leave. Its not really a dialogue (which is a separate issue, as I expected that to be the case) so not sure if something is in the works to have something meaningful. And agree that the settlement wait time for anything is far too long. One of the other bugs I found was that when I first found a settlement I had dispatched a group to do an expedition for which I received some debt but that objective has now disappeared and the group never returned.

How do I find this out? I presume, I need to enable beta patches in steam settings for game updates ?

Here you go.....

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3044984779782651560/

apply some caution if you use mods as they might not be updated to that build number.

It is a 1GB patch, or at least it was for me.

Soldato
NMS editor has been updated.

There is one on Nexus and then the other on Github. Which version do you use..?

more stuff fixed on Experimental....

Experimental Branch 07/09
  • Fixed an issue that caused some small settlement buildings to have an additional construction stage that did nothing.
  • Fixed an issue that caused settlement debt payoff rates to be calculated incorrectly.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the build menu grid hints to still be active when loading a different save.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause pilots to fail to navigate around their ship after landing on a planet.
  • Fixed a crashed related to the ByteBeat UI.
  • Fixed a threading crash.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Oxygen Harvester to appear in the wrong group in the build menu.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the wooden material from appearing in the base part recolour UI.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the base building menu to be overly jittery.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the base building menu to be too close to the part being placed.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented ladders and other technology items from snapping correctly in cuboid rooms.
  • Fixed a crash related to NPC navigation.
  • Fixed a crash caused by reloading the game with the quick menu open.
  • Fixed an issue that caused incorrect audio to play when selecting an option in a settlement decision.
  • Fixed a crash related to base generation.
  • Fixed a number of issues with localised text.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to occasionally spawn below the ground.
  • Fixed an issue that caused players to take damage when being recovered to the terrain after spawning below the ground.
  • Fixed a number of physics-related crashes.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause settlement buildings to spawn within the terrain and become blocked (note: this fix may slightly move some existing settlement buildings).

Last edited:
Associate
I downloaded the github version, seems to work ok so far, although I see another version was released last night 1.8.2

But then I don't use it for much

Edit: that is quite a chunk of fixes

Soldato
The major updates usually do a good job at pulling me back to the game. Then I spend a while getting it modded, fly around over a few planets, after scanning them for a bit, and perhaps build a base or two and then often drift off onto another game. Perhaps I'll focus a little more on it now, thinks that each time...!

Soldato
Patch 3.66 now available.
3.8Gb

So I guess that will be the mods broken again.

Thank you to everyone playing the Frontiers Update, especially those taking the time to report any issues they encounter via Zendesk or console crash reporting.

We are listening closely to your feedback, and have identified and resolved a number of issues. These fixes are included in patch 3.66, which will be live on all platforms soon.

Bug fixes

• Fixed an issue that prevented settlement NPCs from syncing correctly in multiplayer.
  • When viewing another player’s settlement, their name is now displayed in the UI.
  • Fixed an issue that could tell players to collect products from their settlement while the settlement was still in debt.
  • Fixed an issue that required players to construct a roof for settlement buildings that do not have roofs.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent a construction terminal from spawning at a settlement building site.
  • A teleporter has been added to the settlement Overseer’s office.
  • Fixed an issue that could reset settlement building progress when save/loading away from the settlement.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented any decisions from triggering after claiming a second settlement.
  • NPC shopkeepers and access to a Galactic Trade Terminal have been added to settlement marketplaces.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause construction decisions to fail to load.

• Fixed an issue that prevented some base parts from being recoloured.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent ramps from snapping correctly to doors.
  • Base part recipes are now available to pin from the grid menu.
  • Fixed a visual glitch with the Exocraft Summoning Station.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause several Exocraft to spawn on the same pad when deployed in multiplayer.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could cause base parts to appear in protected locations.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from seeing the preview of a base part being placed by another player.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent players from being able to place some base parts (such as save points or Exocraft Geobays) within protected areas on the expedition planet.

• Fixed an issue that prevented the Master of Elements expedition milestone from correctly unlocking the Minotaur Geobay.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the expedition reward base parts to be incorrectly coloured.

• Fixed an issue that could cause Exocraft and Minotaur scans to fail to find a building more often than they should.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented ByteBeat tracks from playing in Photo Mode.
  • ByteBeat devices deployed to caves now have extra reverb.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from landing or summoning their ships near buildings.
  • Fixed an issue that prevent players from summoning their ship from specific landing pads at planetary vaults.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent Short-Range Teleporters from teleporting the player.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent plants from growing when planted outdoors.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Report Base quick menu option to appear when not in a base.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a visual glitch on a specific character foot model.
  • Fixed an issue that caused parts of Cronos’ head to clip with the camera when equipped in first person.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause corrupt data when downloading the expedition details.
  • Introduced an optimisation to the particle rendering system.
  • Introduced an optimisation to base part rendering.

• Fixed a crash related to terrain textures.
  • Fixed a crash related to the ByteBeat device.
  • Fixed a crash related to the base building menu.
  • Fixed a crash related to the expedition log UI.
  • Fixed several crashes related to large bases.
  • Fixed a crash related to LODs.
  • Fixed a number of console crashes related to memory management.
  • Fixed a memory leak that could cause a crash after warping.

We will continue to release patches as issues are identified and resolved. If you experience any issues, let us know by submitting a bug report.

Thank you,
Hello Games

Associate
Does anyone experience any sudden frame drops whilst they play NMS lateley.

Just started up Expedition 3 and as I'm moving about the planet, I sudden drops to around 75 fps from 100fps. I have a 3080 FE and a 5900x.

Could this be CPU related? CPU temps are in high 70s degree C and ocaisionally hit 80c. my GPU temps are fine jsut noticed CPU is high.

Soldato

Just started up Expedition 3 and as I'm moving about the planet, I sudden drops to around 75 fps from 100fps. I have a 3080 FE and a 5900x.

Could this be CPU related? CPU temps are in high 70s degree C and ocaisionally hit 80c. my GPU temps are fine jsut noticed CPU is high.

Check with MSI Afterburner if one thread is close to 100%. If yes, then you're CPU limited. Game is poorly coded, even though is on Vulkan, is heavily single threaded.

Associate

The only time I see a sudden frame drop is when exiting from a planets atmosphere and that is every single time. But other than that no drops during other gameplay.
Is the drop you are seeing affecting gameplay (i.e stuttering) or you are just seeing this in the frame counter ?

Soldato
I've not played this since I refunded shortly after launch. I understand that it has had a lot of positive updates, but have any of them added a coherent storyline and interesting characters?

Soldato
1 thing that is disappointing me at the moment, is how terrible base lighting is. Everything is so dark.

I know people are suggesting using the plant that emits light, but I don't want to have to spam those things around my home.

Back
Top Bottom