No Man's Sky

Soldato
Just have to LOL at gamers sometimes. Always complaining about the big studios ruining gaming...then when a small indie team comes up with a quality looking game you basically say that their games aren't worth as much as the big guys.

You couldn't make it up!

It is a pretty basic 'game' with pretty much random generated worlds.

It was made by a hand full of people and they don't have the expense of the big studios. At the end of the day it is an indie game and I think that will be apparent when people play it. On that basis I think it should be more reasonably priced, granted they'll make a fortune out of it from all the hype but if people get bored after couple of hours (which I think they will) they'll probably feel ripped off which they may not of at 19.99 or less.

Soldato
You think all the hype comes for free? They are most definitely not operating on an 'indie' marketing budget.

Is it the cost of producing the game that justifies the price now? If so then Destiny is great value, I can tell you now that producing something like that across 4 platforms with the quality of sound, level design, art, music, everything is *fantastically* expensive.

Elite Dangerous is a small studio production and runs off a procedurally generated galaxy....I didn't see anyone complaining about the price they charged? If you think Destiny is thin on content you need to try flying around ED looking at different coloured spheres for a few hours.

Permabanned
£55 is standard for ps4 games on any new release, if anyone thinks this is a small Indy game they are an idiot. Even the remastered rubbish is full price!

Soldato
Amazon put a lot of prices at £55, whether a small indie type game or a AAA release.
They then adjust the price when official information is released.

So the Amazon price isn't an indication of whether it'll be full retail price or not. It's basically just a standard RRP price so people can place orders.

But if it was a full price, I wouldn't get it on release. I'd happily pay say £25 or so for it though but not £45, because I'm not yet sure how i'll feel about it. It purely depends on how many hours I get out of it, not what the design and marketing budgets were.
A dev can spend millions on development and marketing but if I get 6 hours out of the game I ain't paying £45 for it!

Examples:

TrackMania Turbo (PS4)
£26.00
Price dropped 52% (was £54.99 when added to Wish List)
This item has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives. Offered by Amazon.

The Last Guardian (PS4)
£44.00
Price dropped 19% (was £54.99 when added to Wish List)
This item has not yet been released. You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives. Offered by Amazon.

Soldato
Apart from anything else, we don't know what the final game is going to include yet. It may be a small team but they have AAA experience and unlike a major studio their livelihoods are on the line if it tanks.

I'm all for supporting indies that stick their neck out with ambitious projects like this, provided the game come release is up to scratch, I'll happily pay standard launch price for it.

Soldato
Apart from anything else, we don't know what the final game is going to include yet. It may be a small team but they have AAA experience and unlike a major studio their livelihoods are on the line if it tanks.

I'm all for supporting indies that stick their neck out with ambitious projects like this, provided the game come release is up to scratch, I'll happily pay standard launch price for it.

Yeah I feel the same. As said, it's all about how much value I receive fro mthe product, not on much it cost to make it. I've already got more hours out of Rocket League than 90% of AAA games ever released!

I am both super excited to find out more with NMS, but also have reservations on whether it's for me or not. The main draw is the art style and the colours though, it just looks really nice - i'm sick of the dreary settings these days. The key will be whether I enjoy the exploration aspect of it - if I do i'll play it a LOT.
Deff the type of game I'd love a trial of before buying, but also could be something I would gamble on just to support the cool idea

Soldato
the price is just a placeholder :rolleyes: we can all wind our necks in now. :p

anyways... there will be a new video out this afternoon. as tweeted by Ryan @ ign.

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/623572750267977728?s=09

Just screened tomorrow's No Man's Sky #IGNFirst video about how the procedurally generated universe works. WOW! Pro tip: WATCH 'TIL THE END!

what this means.. we do'nt know yet obviously. hopefully they'll announce the release date, or announce when they going to announce the release date :D

Soldato
Why? Can you blame us for being sceptical? As a market demographic we've been abused for years, milked for every penny. Then a developer with no proven track record in PC/console gaming turns up and wants to charge AAA prices.

Proven track record or not, clearly a lot of time and effort has gone into this game and has had a lot of media coverage.

Soldato
Permabanned
the price is just a placeholder :rolleyes: we can all wind our necks in now. :p

anyways... there will be a new video out this afternoon. as tweeted by Ryan @ ign.

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/623572750267977728?s=09

what this means.. we do'nt know yet obviously. hopefully they'll announce the release date, or announce when they going to announce the release date :D

Release date hopefully! Or if we wish really hard they will say available to download on psn 24 July lolololol

Permabanned
Someone on reddit spotted that the video was recorded two months ago in may. So they've been prepping all this stuff for a while!

I don't get why he tweeted watch until the end, it wasn't really anything other than you can fly to all the stars you can see

Back
Top Bottom