No Man's Sky

Soldato
Indeed.. Myself, and the whole of the Internet were hoping for a surprise release. Unfortunately it's still months away. At least we have a date now. :D

Soldato
The devs have been saying on twitter the last few days that it's going to be a while...much prefer they held off and released a better game if they have the funding for it.

Soldato
How will this compare to sonethig like Elite (a game I have only recently come across)?

Hard to really say...but it appears to be mostly exploration focused, with combat being a sideshow. Just the visuals and the size of the universe to explore will keep me happy as a casual console game to pick up every now and then. I'm not expecting it to be terribly deep or grindy.

Soldato
Definitely not a pre-order job until some others have given it a testing. No-one has any idea what it's going to be like yet.

100% agreed, everything I have seen so far looks far too dull/aimless. It seems like a weird (albeit very pretty) Elite/Spore mash-up. I hope I am wrong as there's been so much hype and any new AAA IP would be awesome as a change from sequels and remasters!

Soldato
I don't understand the Spore comparisons....this is a first person space exploration game, Spore was a weird, limited evolution simulator, don't how the two can be compared.

There's some really interesting procedural generation stuff going on to create the wildlife, but the evolution of it is clearly not an integral part of the gameplay.

Soldato
No amount of procedural generation of worlds and animals is going to keep the game fresh if all you do if fly to a world name a few things, fly to another world and name a few things, fly to another world and zzzzzzzzzz which is all the previews and gameplay interviews seem to show. We know from interviews there is no campaign in the tradition sense but the aim is to travel to the centre of the universe but I hope there is more to it than that. Something we have not been told about in the little reveals we have had like as you travel to the centre and find more outposts and speak to more traders etc. you start to uncover something, some sort of story or narrative to the game.

I don’t think there is anything more to it though which is a shame as I really want to support the game as a new IP is always welcome and they have done something different but until we know more it is not a day 1 for me either.

Soldato
Day one for me too. Too many haters, hating on a game they haven't even experienced yet. A lot of people throwing their toys out the pram about the supposed price too :p

Soldato
Full price day 1 purchase for me. I'm fine with the lack of a conventional story as all their engineering effort has gone into putting life into the sandbox.

It looks like what I really wanted Elite to be...a great exploration game, sadly exploration in ED hasn't got past looking at a big circle on the screen while some numbers change.

Back
Top Bottom