No Man's Sky

Soldato
I've pre-ordered it on steam as well. It'll be interesting to see if it can pull me away from Elite : Dangerous which I have over 1000 hours invested.

Soldato
Just pre ordered this off Amazon. I felt it my duty to do so as I've followed it from early days :D the division should keep me occupied til then!

Caporegime
Video pretty much trying to show off the sound design...

Ok the next quotes are from OmegaDL50 from NeoGAF - pasted them as they were as the info to me is mind blowing and should cover a lot of the silly 'what do I do in NMS?' questions. Pretty much this generations Elite done properly...
OmegaDL50 said:
This information is limited but it based what I can confirm based on admission of previewer folks that put 30 to 40 minutes invested into the game as well as confirmed information circulating from various articles be it IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Everyone starts on a planet roughly the outer edge of the universe that is procedurally generated in this game. The main object is striving to get to the center of the universe. What is at the center of the universe. That is currently unknown.

There is a survival aspect in which you need to collect fuel and resources to upgrade your suit, ship, and weapon.

Most of the planets have guardian sentinels that act like law enforcement / planet protectors. Hunting animals, destroying landscape, and so forth will give you a wanted level and attract their attention and they become increasingly hostile and as this threat level increases. It gets to the point that they will beam in reinforcements and overwhelm you with sheer numbers.

You suit has a thermal protection level. Planets can be extremely hot or extremely cold. Certain resources gathered can be used to upgrade your suit for increased survival in harsher planet environments.

There is standing stones and large monoliths with glyph like writings on them, interacting with these will teach you a small portion of an alien language.

There is multiple alien factions you can build rapport with by trading or communicating with speech checks against the knowledge of the language you learned of that specific race. Failing a speech check gets the alien angry and you can lose reputation with the faction.

There is space stations that act like trade centers, you can buy new ships, upgrade your weapon and so forth.

Give me time to asset my notes and I'll have more information in the next post.
OmegaDL50 said:
As for the prestige of Hello Games and what experience they have. Most are former Sumo Digital, Criterion and Kuju Entertainment Devs that worked on Burnout 3 and Geometry Wars.

Sean Murray was the technical lead of Burnout 3.

This goes in line why Ship controls are more on the arcadey side and less Sim.

Anyways moving on.

On each planet there is a Beacon. The large Black Cube with a red Core that is shown predominantly in the game artwork and cover of the game. This is like a central database server that you link to that records your discoveries (Animal species, resources gathered, and specific locations)

Planets are discovered by flying into their atmosphere. Like systems, they are credited to the first person to do so. Creatures can be discovered by scanning them which I believe is down on the d-pad. Which sends out a pulse in radius around you

You just upload your information at a beacon before you receive your reward. Rarer the object or more dangerous the creature the larger the reward.

You are given a form of currency called Units, which is used mainly at Space Stations for purchasing of ship upgrades, suit improvements (Jet Pack Module, Thermal Protection, Damage Resistance, and so forth)

The time of day on a planet depends on the position and rotation of the planet relative to any nearby suns. As a planet rotates, the time of day will change. The day/night cycle is not artificial. It is calculated as the game plays in relativity to the time that passes via axis rotation of the planet revolving around it's parent star.

When you die you will lose any un-uploaded discoveries you had made, as well as any resources you had on you at the time. You will not lose any Units or upgrades to your suit. If you die in a ship, you will lose it and any cargo it had. You will respawn in a basic life-pod, which is what you would have at the start of the game. If you die on the ground, you will respawn next to your ship.

A crafting system exists in game with ingredients used based on periodic table of the elements that contain both real and fictional elements.

In order to craft things, blueprints must be discovered. These can be found in many places on planets. They will get more advanced and more useful towards the center of the galaxy. Crafting is done using resources collected while mining, or by trading. To craft something, select an empty slot in the inventory screen, and pick a blueprint to craft. The material requirements will show. If you have all the required components then you will be able to craft it. Crafted components live in the same space as your cargo. This means you need to decide what is important to keep hold off and what items are to be dropped,

I think there is a bit more I could cover but some of the folks in here also answered some things I've covered.
OmegaDL50 said:
I think one thing I believe that is important to bring up that unlike games such as Terraria or Minecraft.

NMS doesn't have structure or base building mechanics.

Basically your ship is your home in a fashion. So losing your ship is kind of significant because you may have upgraded to a certain degree to travel to even more hostile or dangerous locations.

While Minecraft's element of survival was focused on gathering resources to build a shelter to survive when enemies spawn at night time.

The similarity with Minecraft would probably more about the mining aspect as you descend deeper and deeper underground to find rarer or more valuable resources, but also potentially more dangerous enemies.

Well NMS is similar in that regard as instead of going deeper underground, you are traveling closer and closer to the center of the universe, which planets have even more rarer resources for you to collect and alien lifeforms become increasingly more dangerous and hostile.
Im considering getting the CE of this...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Liking the look of this, except where you lose your ship if you die on board, can see that being really painful later in the game

Soldato
That's the korvax alien race or something. Looks good to me. Adds a bit of character to the game. :) I cancelled my pre order and have decided to get this on release day off PSN. Really can't wait.

Soldato
If that's the case then I'll probably put a pre order on the PSN store. Can't be bothered with a physical release even though it will be cheaper.

Soldato
Discs are a total faff. Plus the drive spins up and vibrates my unit it's sat on. Makes a right load of noise. Think I'll be going digital from now on. :D

Back
Top Bottom