• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No Pre Order or Official UK Price on the GTX 1080

Caporegime
Fury X was 600 to preorder, and that was an enthusiast / full size chip
with a built in liquid cooling system...

True but that was because they had something like a dozen cards total and stock just came in very small amounts for a few months after the launch. The markup on them was ridiculous though regardless of the "supply and demand" rhetoric.

Soldato
I'm betting for the Founder Edition it would be like limited stock of 1080 at around £700 at "launch", with more on pre-order on £650 to be arriving weeks later down the line.

Yeah I will not be buying if they are that much on principle, I have £600 as a budget and I can sway a little higher if need be but over £650 and Nvidia can go kiss a camels taint.

Soldato
Yeah I will not be buying if they are that much on principle, I have £600 as a budget and I can sway a little higher if need be but over £650 and Nvidia can go kiss a camels taint.
With US price at $699 before tax for the Founder, you'd have to wait longer for the 3rd party "$599 poor man non-hardcore fan edition" to be within your budget :rolleyes:

Soldato
With US price at $699 before tax for the Founder, you'd have to wait longer for the 3rd party "$599 poor man non-hardcore fan edition" to be within your budget :rolleyes:

I was going to wait for the Asus Matrix edition as I'm a mega ROG fan but if the pricing rumours are correct then we'll be looking at cards that are just stupidly overpriced and closer to the Titan area of pricing.

Soldato
Dont understand why you think £600+ is a surprise. Its been like this for years. I can almost see the money burning a hole in loads of peoples pockets just reading the posts.

The 980ti's are selling for £490+. No way the new card is going to be £500-£600 because that would hurt the sale of current 980ti's. The price of that isnt going to drop because it means the margins would be squeezed maybe even lost especially with stock high. So new cards always come in first at a high price to catch the early adopters. Doesnt harm the sellers because you either pay the extra for the new cards, buy existing cards or wait.

Then when it comes to a point that the older cards need shifting then the prices are reduced but the new cards still remain the same because the older cards need to be sold. Then once stock of the older cards is reduced this is when the price of new cards will drop unless they are selling like hotcakes at their original price.

So its no good moaning at OCUK they are a business and are in it for the profit. If you are moaning about the high price you've only got to blame the people who will buy it at that price. If people waited and didnt buy the new cards at the release price then price drops would occur quicker. However this isnt going to happen. People cant wait. Thats what sellers count on.

Been like this for years. Not going to change ever.

Last edited:
Associate
Well all we can hope for is Polaris 10 turns out better than expected, and forces Nvidia to lower the prices.

If P10XT is faster than the 1070 and £350, the 1080 will look decidedly silly around £600.

Soldato
Well all we can hope for is Polaris 10 turns out better than expected, and forces Nvidia to lower the prices.

If P10XT is faster than the 1070 and £350, the 1080 will look decidedly silly around £600.

Don't think it will be though unfortunately (faster than 1070)

If AMD were less crappy recently then Nvidia would have to lower the 10xx cards.

Hopefully it does beat the 1070 though... when is the polaris 10 out?

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think it will be though unfortunately (faster than 1070)

If AMD were less crappy recently then Nvidia would have to lower the 10xx cards.

Hopefully it does beat the 1070 though... when is the polaris 10 out?

Well on paper there's a good chance.

The 1070 is effectively a smaller die size than P10XT, since 25% of the 1080 core is disabled. Also the Performance per watt increase of the 1080/1070 is fairly disappointing (only about 1.56x over a GTX 980).

As I say, that's just on paper, and we'll have to wait and see for sure.

Polaris 10 is launching at Computex or E3 supposedly. So basically 2-3 weeks. Don't know if it's a paper launch or hard launch though.

Soldato
Still don't know why so many people are getting angry about the NVidia pricing.

Clearly they sell so why should they charge less? Consumers have mainly themselves to blame although NVidia and retailers like to slap on a bit more anyway.

Soldato
Still don't know why so many people are getting angry about the NVidia pricing.

Clearly they sell so why should they charge less? Consumers have mainly themselves to blame although NVidia and retailers like to slap on a bit more anyway.

^ This

If you think the price is too high then don't buy, it's hardly an essential purchase. Top-end gear is always the worst in terms of bang for buck, that applies to TVs, cameras, etc as well as PC components but no one is forcing you to have the very best kit.

If you want better value then you are spoiled for choice but if you can't manage without 4K 60FPS 16xAA etc then you're always going to be paying a premium. Whether that is worth it or not is just down to personal circumstances/choice :)

Associate
We've waited months for these cards to become available. Why the panic to get one as soon as they're available, when we know that prices are likely to drop after a few weeks ? Not only that, the non reference cards will soon appear, and they are likely to be cheaper/better.

Soldato
£700 just for one graphics card Err no. Stop it now. If nvidia suggest or force such a price then kill the pc market they will. Seriously that much you can purchase new, the 2 new latest consoles and some games. Unless this is the purpose to drive everyone to consoles my love for pc gaming will take a serious dive.

Back
Top Bottom