• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No Pre Order or Official UK Price on the GTX 1080

Soldato
Well all we can hope for is Polaris 10 turns out better than expected, and forces Nvidia to lower the prices.

If P10XT is faster than the 1070 and £350, the 1080 will look decidedly silly around £600.

Unlikely, I think. My reading is that AMD's approach this time around is NOT to lead in with high-end guns-blazing GPUs, but to begin with very good value mid-range, try to kick Nvidia about in this lucrative section, and then work up with increasingly more powerful cards from there, with Vega and then Navi. It's an interesting strategy that I think could net AMD a lot of marketshare.

But it wont do much to immediately bring down the price of a 1080.

Maybe at the end of the year if they get Vega out by then (I don't think they will but could be wrong).

Soldato
Well on paper there's a good chance.

The 1070 is effectively a smaller die size than P10XT, since 25% of the 1080 core is disabled. Also the Performance per watt increase of the 1080/1070 is fairly disappointing (only about 1.56x over a GTX 980).

As I say, that's just on paper, and we'll have to wait and see for sure.

Polaris 10 is launching at Computex or E3 supposedly. So basically 2-3 weeks. Don't know if it's a paper launch or hard launch though.

But their full size fury X with HBM does not beat a 980ti, the 1070 will be around 980ti speeds. I don't think AMD have managed to get a 2560 core 6Gb/s GDDR5 256bit card to beat a 4096 core HBM card.

Soldato
I have seen stuff like that on amazon before, I think I saw an X34 at 1299 or something like that, so hopefully that is not correct.

Associate
Does anybody know what time pre orders start, is it going to a midnight thing? or in the day any ETA at all?
I've sold my 980 which I need to post tomorrow lol, really counting on getting a first order in.

Soldato
On the subject of the price, the 1080 does seem very powerful. It can beat out 2xSLI 980s. So doesn't that technically make it worth the price of two 980's? I mean you're getting more performance with less risk of bad SLI-optimizations and power savings.

Associate
On the subject of the price, the 1080 does seem very powerful. It can beat out 2xSLI 980s. So doesn't that technically make it worth the price of two 980's? I mean you're getting more performance with less risk of bad SLI-optimizations and power savings.

Not really no. I saw some benches comparing it to SLI 970s (which I have) and in SLI friendly games the 1080 is only 10% better than the 970s.

nVidia can kiss my arse if they think I'm paying to side-grade for the majority of games.

Seriously, people need to stop buying these bloody cards for one iteration...we only have ourselves to blame for the drip-feed incremental improvements and thanks-for-the-£600 sales model.

Soldato
Does anybody know what time pre orders start, is it going to a midnight thing? or in the day any ETA at all?
I've sold my 980 which I need to post tomorrow lol, really counting on getting a first order in.

Well is 00:02 and nothing has happened so I don't think it is a midnight thing.

Back
Top Bottom