• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No Pre Order or Official UK Price on the GTX 1080

Soldato
Especially the weaker 104 series GPU.

So where's the stronger series? It's not here yet and could be 6months + away.Especially with no HBM2 yet, the later more powerful products cannot be made and sold at this time. For now the 1080 and 1070 offer the very latest technology that nobody else offers (16nm etc etc) and nothing else outperforms as a single card solution.
Regarding the price increase well there's inflation, we have no idea how much was invested in Pascal vs previous architectures, weaker £ to $, and of course the predicted supply and demand for these new products (expect it to be strong).

It makes me laugh how for graphics cards people seem to think they can tell a company what they should be charging for them.

I know, the next time you buy a house, tell the sellers they're charging too much and try to knock a load of money off their overpriced property (as many are these days), or when buying the latest of something else, maybe even a prescription, tell them they're charging too much and try to pay less :D.

Seriously, if people cannot afford the latest cards or cannot justify x amount for one then don't, but enough will to probably put them all out of stock fairly soon after arrival=high demand. And there's nothing wrong with those that do buy, at this moment in time there's nothing better.6 months+ time, we could be dead by then so if someone in the market for a fast card then they'll buy now.

And I'm not just saying this as I want one as I might actually delay my purchase for a while :D as buying now may not suit me (need to build a new PC).

I wouldn't be too surprised if the prices rises after the introduction (few weeks time)

Last edited:
Soldato
Deleted post.

Considering the cards had an MSRP of $699 for the FE I doubt it would directly translate into £.

Well I hope anyway or I'm going to be staying with the 770 I have and buying an XB1 with lots of games :p

Soldato
Fake, Asus would be £799.;)

Pricing is getting ridiculous. PC component company's Intel, AMD, Nvidia, just to add a few of the worst are really killing the PC market. You're pricing a lot of users out. :(

Considering the cards had an MSRP of $699 for the FE I doubt it would directly translate into £.

Well I hope anyway or I'm going to be staying with the 770 I have and buying an XB1 with lots of games :p

Yep

Associate
Afaik the 1080 will be able to order on the May the 27th release date, why are people expecting preorders being available on the 20th, not even wccftech have been murmuring about anything happening today. The so called click bait sites were more accurate than our "ocuk forum experts" though, who insisted we couldn't have GDDR5X this early. The click bait sites also had shots of the new cooler design way before NVIDIA unveiled it on the 6th. Not to mention informing us a week before the 6th unveiling that it was to be unveiled on that date lol.

Permabanned
£700 just for one graphics card Err no. Stop it now. If nvidia suggest or force such a price then kill the pc market they will. Seriously that much you can purchase new, the 2 new latest consoles and some games. Unless this is the purpose to drive everyone to consoles my love for pc gaming will take a serious dive.

If those are the prices then people will just buy a step down in model from what they usually buy, all the while Nvidia will be making the same amount.

Soldato
Afaik the 1080 will be able to order on the May the 27th release date, why are people expecting preorders being available on the 20th, not even wccftech have been murmuring about anything happening today. The so called click bait sites were more accurate than our "ocuk forum experts" though, who insisted we couldn't have GDDR5X this early. The click bait sites also had shots of the new cooler design way before NVIDIA unveiled it on the 6th. Not to mention informing us a week before the 6th unveiling that it was to be unveiled on that date lol.

Probably got mentioned by someone who "knows a guy" on another forum then it snowballed it's way onto other forums.

Soldato
Not really no. I saw some benches comparing it to SLI 970s (which I have) and in SLI friendly games the 1080 is only 10% better than the 970s.

I was going off that Linus Tech Tips video that was posted in the Pascal thread. Seemed to indicate it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-61Zn4Sb8Q

N.b. if I'm wrong quite happy to learn it. That's just what it seemed to me. (benchmarks start around the 8minute mark).

By that metric graphics cards would be about a million pounds by now.

Hmmm. True.

Last edited:
Soldato
It makes me laugh how for graphics cards people seem to think they can tell a company what they should be charging for them.

Supply and demand. Consumers have more power than you think. They are that price because they will sell, not because they need to be that price to break even, you can be sure of that.

I know, the next time you buy a house, tell the sellers they're charging too much and try to knock a load of money off their overpriced property (as many are these days), or when buying the latest of something else, maybe even a prescription, tell them they're charging too much and try to pay less :D.

wait, who offers asking price on a house without bargaining?

WUT:eek:

Seriously, if people cannot afford the latest cards or cannot justify x amount for one then don't

Well at least we agree on that.

Soldato
Which genius decided dollars = pounds? That's a nice markup to cover import costs and then some.

Well US prices don't include the sales tax which Americans always separate out because they like starting to vaguely do some mental arithmetic, realizing it's too much effort and then just slapping on a rough approximate figure on top and guestimating how much it'll cost them in reality. Whereas European prices show what you actually pay. So that's part of the dollars = pounds principle accounted for.

The rest is greedy opportunism.

Soldato
£700 just for one graphics card Err no. Stop it now. If nvidia suggest or force such a price then kill the pc market they will. Seriously that much you can purchase new, the 2 new latest consoles and some games. Unless this is the purpose to drive everyone to consoles my love for pc gaming will take a serious dive.

Yep. It's a far cry from some time in the nineties, when I bought a top 'o the line Voodoo2 from a show for around £90.

Back
Top Bottom