Non traditional board games

Except it's not short. It's not unknown for Munchkin games to drag on for a couple of hours.

I hear this all the time and it amazes me. I must have played 100+ games of Munchkin and it's never gone over 40 minutes.

Ditch the charity rule (it takes too long and is utterly pointless) and keep cards moving in and out of your hand ;)

I did consider Eldritch Horror (Arkham Horror is a friends but he's unlikely to buy Eldritch) but isn't it still a 2.5-3 hour game, which is a bit long for the Tuesdays group I play with where it might be used, and if it's a weekend then we can just crack out Arkham which we've already got...

If Eldritch was more like a 1.5-2 hour game I probably would have it but it doesn't seem to shave a huge amount of time off, from looking at bgg at least

Our game of Eldritch Horror at the pub took 150 minutes, but it went to the last possible turn against Azathoth (who has the largest decks) and everyone except me had never played before. Yig could be done in two hours, I think.

Played Betrayal at House on the Hill last night after getting it in the Amazon sales. Had a really great time, I was the traitor but it was a very close game.
I imagine the balance can be a bit swingy in certain scenarios or if certain items have appeared or the haunt is really early or late on. However for us it was a matter of they'd have won it if they had another turn or spread out before they got cornered off in the basement. They hadn't realised the collapsed floor would allow my blobs to surround them!

Are the BSG expansions worth it?

I have played one game with the Pegasus expansion but it was my first ever game of BSG so I didn't quite pick up on the differences between it and the original.

I have now played the original a number of times.

Yes they are, grab them all. When we play we play with all the expansions but avoid using the new-caprica part. The depth that the expansions add with regards to Pegasus and the way the Cylons work (players and the fleet) is much, much better

- GP

Viticulture Collectors Edition arrived on Friday and got played the same day. It's a worker placement game about running an Italian vineyard, with two clever twists: you have actions to take in different seasons so have to choose how many to save for later, and the first person to take a given action in each season gets a bonus for doing so. It's pretty fast moving, with games lasting six to nine "years" on average. I recommend it.

If you like Settlers of Catan and are ready to step up, try Deus. It has the same rough kind of style, but several different routes to resource generation and card based production. I like it.

So what tabletop wonders did everyone snag in their Christmas hauls?

I grabbed The Witches for the wife, and she got me A Touch of Evil: Dark Gothic. Can't wait to get them to the table! :D

Back
Top Bottom