Non traditional board games

Got quite a few this christmas.
  • Two expansions to Settlers of Catan. Only played Knights and Barbarians so far but really enjoying it.
  • Archipelago - just read the rules on that so far.
  • Eldritch Horror - not touched it yet
  • Twilight Struggle - actually this is from last Christmas! Still not taken the time to sit down and figure it out. Started watching a youtube video of how to play and that has helped my understanding of it.

It's too easy just to break out Settlers of Catan as I know how to play rather than start a new game.

Archipelago is Settlers of Catan For Men. :D

Eldritch Horror seems a lot heavier than it is due to the number of decks, but it actually has simple moving parts and you'll pick it up rapidly.

Twilight Struggle is strategically very complex and being asymmetric it can be quite tough to teach. You can also lose games very early on if you don't know what you're doing without realising you've lost until much later.

What? £15? I cannot see it for £15 on there... although I only paid £19 with shipping so not complaining. Also found a local board game club in Luton that have evening 3 times a week during the week and nearly all day sat so going to pop down next week :)

Agreed, must have taken me 10 minutes of pain and searing while not wanting to break it.

10 minutes? Well, you done it a lot faster than I did. Annoyingly when I finally forced it I stressed the plastic on the back panel of the AT-ST.

Speaking of kickstarters, just backed Tiny Epic Galaxies. Anyone else tried the Tiny Epic franchise yet? I enjoyed Tiny Epic Kingdoms and haven't got Tiny Epic Defenders yet.

I didn't even know about them, Tiny Epic Galaxies looks pretty cool and for $24 it is well worth backing for the deluxe edition. Consider it done :)

I really need to stop purchasing board games lol

Last edited:
10 minutes? Well, you done it a lot faster than I did. Annoyingly when I finally forced it I stressed the plastic on the back panel of the AT-ST.

Speaking of kickstarters, just backed Tiny Epic Galaxies. Anyone else tried the Tiny Epic franchise yet? I enjoyed Tiny Epic Kingdoms and haven't got Tiny Epic Defenders yet.

I'm in the same position.

Aberdeen - do you come to Granite City Gamers, by any chance?

Played it a few times, it's quite good and I'll happily play it again, possibly my only criticism is that Khorne are the easiest side to play and seem to win often because of that, however it's clear that other sides can win but you need to 'play them right' to do so...

Played it a few times, it's quite good and I'll happily play it again, possibly my only criticism is that Khorne are the easiest side to play and seem to win often because of that, however it's clear that other sides can win but you need to 'play them right' to do so...

Khorne are the easiest side for novices to win with, because they're the side with the most obvious tactics. Once people get the idea of how to counter those tactics (ducking combat being a start) Khorne starts losing a lot.

Me, I'm holding out for Cthulhu Wars. Only a few weeks to go now... :D

Played our first big game of zombicide + TCM expansion last night, they have made it far too easy with the expansion, abominations are hardly a threat at all as there are so many ways to kill them off, compared to the original where an abomination would **** up your day if found early it just seems like they went from one extreme to another.

Is prison outbreak worth getting if you have the first or is it just more the same?

Yeah I watched Stone Age on Tabletop and I love the look of that :D

What do you think made me buy it....That show is costing me so much money.

Played our first big game of zombicide + TCM expansion last night, they have made it far too easy with the expansion, abominations are hardly a threat at all as there are so many ways to kill them off, compared to the original where an abomination would **** up your day if found early it just seems like they went from one extreme to another.

Is prison outbreak worth getting if you have the first or is it just more the same?

You could just remove some of the 3 damage weapons. Personally I have only ever come across 1 aboms in the standard that I couldn't deal with due to already having molotov's or being far enough away from it that it never really made any difference to me

I'm in the same position.

Aberdeen - do you come to Granite City Gamers, by any chance?

I haven't heard of Granite City Gamers, can you give me some details on that?

Currently a friend and myself take turns hosting a weekly game night of 4 people at our respective flats. It started just over a year ago since we first seen Tabletop.
Since then I've probably spent over £1,000 on games/expansions and he has amassed quite a collection as well.

As for TEG, I've played and enjoyed TEK and will play TED when it arrives so I felt confident backing TEG.

Edit:
Started out Imperial Assault campaign last night. I won the opening/introduction mission followed by a defeat to the rebels in the first side mission. Really enjoying the game and glad it got announced just before I went all in and ordered Descent with the many expansions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom