North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

It's all build up to a big NK rouse on its own people. Lots of posturing and rhetoric in their media then stand down and claim you scared the Impirialist Aggressors away, maybe even fabricate a skirmish or two. Resounding 'victory' for Kim Jong Whatnot making him as fabled as his father and grandfather.

Can't deny. This posturing has me seriously worried.

Pfft, you think you feel bad.

I was in seoul when NK decided to attack that island and my girlfriend thought it would be funny to call me telling me we need to GTFO of korea cos her brother, who is military, told her that there would be a war within hours..

That was a stressful couple of hours :o

[flame suite on]

I dont know a lot about world politics, i have not followed it closely etc

What are the odds of it kicking off and China being drawn in on Korea's side?

It could serve two functions. It gives the chance for the US to flatten China, China are an up and coming ecomonic super power, if they no longer operate, the US could capitalise on one of the largest manufacturer's on earth being out of the way.

[flame suite on]

It could serve two functions. It gives the chance for the US to flatten China, China are an up and coming ecomonic super power, if they no longer operate, the US could capitalise on one of the largest manufacturer's on earth being out of the way.

Extremely low odds, effectively none.

Consider the following scenario.

The DPRK manages to detonate an EMP bomb at high altitude above LA.

I doesn't actually kill anybody directly (#). But it knocks out all electricity and much communication for days/weeks

(I have read that the DPRK has been taking EMP devices seriously, the fact that their bomb tests have all been "small" could be interpreted as evidence that they are pursuing this line of development!)

This would cause serious economic and social damage

What would the USA actually be able to do as a response??

(# The casualties would come later! I would not wish to be in a large, erm, "multicultural" US city during an extended power cut! )

China need the US too much, it's whole economy is built on exporting goods to such country's.

China may kick off in the future (20 years or something) but not a chance at the moment, what might happen is china and Russia supply NK with kit, or shouting louder towards the US to stop.

As for putting anything into space or sending a missile to the US, the 3 stage missiles can only travel 6000k max, so the US coast is too far away.

[flame suite on]

The odds are zero.

and China being taken out would do unimaginable damage to the world economy and create massive instability in world politics.

Extremely low odds, effectively none.

OK, the reason i feel that is because people only do things if there is something to gain. What does the US have to gain from a "war" with NK?

By all account it would just be a blood bath (but then look at the Vientnam war and Iraq/WMD episode)

I am also worried that if it kicks off, and China gets involved, arnt they seriously capable of knocking the earth off its axis?

Consider the following scenario.

The DPRK manages to detonate an EMP bomb at high altitude above LA.

I doesn't actually kill anybody directly (#). But it knocks out all electricity and much communication for days/weeks

(I have read that the DPRK has been taking EMP devices seriously, the fact that their bomb tests have all been "small" could be interpreted as evidence that they are pursuing this line of development!)

This would cause serious economic and social damage

What would the USA actually be able to do as a response??

(# The casualties would come later! I would not wish to be in a large, erm, "multicultural" US city during an extended power cut! )

They had war games in 2010 and its airforce was a farce with crashes, collisions and WW2 bombing precision. Their forces are lots of people and little else. The chances of them doing an airburst over LA are....slim.

It's all build up to a big NK rouse on its own people. Lots of posturing and rhetoric in their media then stand down and claim you scared the Impirialist Aggressors away, maybe even fabricate a skirmish or two. Resounding 'victory' for Kim Jong Whatnot making him as fabled as his father and grandfather.

Echoes of 1984, Oceania and it's mythical perpetual war.

OK, the reason i feel that is because people only do things if there is something to gain. What does the US have to gain from a "war" with NK?

By all account it would just be a blood bath (but then look at the Vientnam war and Iraq/WMD episode)

I am also worried that if it kicks off, and China gets involved, arnt they seriously capable of knocking the earth off its axis?

The US want to stop NK developing its nuclear program's any further, should NK gain the ability to mount a nuke into a missile which could reach the US then the situation changes totally, better to deal with it now.

Similar will happen in Iran.

Back
Top Bottom